Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves Call Up Max Fried, Board has Anuerysm

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    This has got to be the most crazy knee-jerk reaction thread in the history of this board.

Taking Krol's place as the third lefty in the pen for ten days in no way means the Braves have "given up on Fried as a starter". People here have to be the biggest drama queens on the planet. For all anyone knows, they are just getting his feet wet since he's already on the 40-Man Roster. Neither of the other lefties in Gwinnett (Minter and Pfeifer) are on the 40-Man, and both have been struggling. Would you rather they called one of them up and had to add them???
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (08-05-2017), BoneThrower (08-05-2017), rico43 (08-05-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    This has got to be the most crazy knee-jerk reaction thread in the history of this board.

Taking Krol's place as the third lefty in the pen for ten days in no way means the Braves have "given up on Fried as a starter". People here have to be the biggest drama queens on the planet. For all anyone knows, they are just getting his feet wet since he's already on the 40-Man Roster. Neither of the other lefties in Gwinnett (Minter and Pfeifer) are on the 40-Man, and both have been struggling. Would you rather they called one of them up and had to add them???
    Agreed. I bet at the beginning of the year the Bravse thought Fried would be in Atlanta by midseason. Then the blister issues started. Maybe he is finally past that and was probably flashing his top stuff the last few outings.

He will be back to starting next season.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    I LIKE THIS.

Hear me out ...

He went on the DL recently due to problems with BLISTERS. One reason already to consider his future in the bulllpen.
    Second, since coming back, worked a total of 10 innings with no earned runs, nine Ks. His last start was four shutout innings.
    People have been making the point all year that Fried's numbers did not match his won-lost. It seems that the Braves saw the same thing. Fried is 23, has to be on the 40-man, and the bullpen as it stands right now is pretty lame until you get to Arodys. Bet we'll like what we see.

If they start him, they're nuts.

Just wanted to go on record saying that up front!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

BoneThrower (08-05-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    BillShanks‏ @BillShanks 2h2 hours ago
    More
    Braves want to see how Fried does in the pen. Lots of pitchers start in the pen and then move to the rotation. They love his stuff.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________

This is consistent with some reporting out there that Friend still has top of the line stuff. He was trending towards our best pitching prospect last year and I think he is still close to that now as long as the blister problems are behind him.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    ' Fried went on the DL again in late June, having battled blister problems the entire year. '

That is from the linked article. Pretty much explains the poor performance and a reason why we should not just scout the statline for prospects.
    Natural Immunity Croc

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thethe For This Useful Post:

Garmel (08-05-2017), mfree80 (08-05-2017)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Why all the fuss about Fried in the pen? He's on the 40 man already so he needs his shot. If I remember correctly Medlen and Wood spent time in the bull pen. They turned out ok.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Not sure we needed the change to the thread-title.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

dak (08-05-2017), Hawk (08-05-2017), mqt (08-05-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    That's the most absurd reaction to reactions in the history of this board!

It's pretty standard practice in most discussions to agree and disagree. I don't really care about this move. I'm more interested in this plug and play yoyo thing. I'm not impressed. Maybe it'll change. Until then I'll continue to base my posts on what I think.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (08-05-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    For all the folks that want to be in perpetual rebuild mode, no one remembers David Price? Chris Sale? Lance Lynn? Woody Williams? Derek Lowe, Ryan Dempster, C. J. Wilson, Chuck Finley, Charlie Hough, Wilbur Wood, Keny Rogers, David Wells? How about our buddy Dave Stewart???

Using them out of the pen at one point didn't mean they were "given up on".
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Not sure we needed the change to the thread-title.
    Don't take it personally; did not want thread to project one point of view only. FWIW, I disagreed sharply with the initial posting's statement and many of the following posts reflected the hysteria that is so rich at time like these. So i made the call. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    The cardinals regularly promote prospects to bullpen roles in the second half as a transition to starting.

No one ever said they didn't have a plan.
    There is nothing wrong with doing that, it's pretty normal actually. The difference here is that those teams are typically promoting players that have either performed well and/or are in AAA. Fried has done nothing to show he needs to be in the majors this year, blisters or not. He could blow the doors off as a middle reliever from now till the end of the year, and it's still a weird move right now.

People in this thread aren't complaining about Fried moving up as a bullpen piece for the most part, they are worried about the overall movement of players in a herky jerky way over the course of the season. The only defense of the moves we've seen are the typical nonsense clv spews that "you aren't in the meetings!", "the FO has access to things you don't!". These trite homilies were repeated ad nauseam last year with the Swanson callup, and were dead wrong.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to auyushu For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (08-05-2017), jpx7 (08-05-2017), sturg33 (08-05-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    There is nothing wrong with doing that, it's pretty normal actually. The difference here is that those teams are typically promoting players that have either performed well and/or are in AAA. Fried has done nothing to show he needs to be in the majors this year, blisters or not. He could blow the doors off as a middle reliever from now till the end of the year, and it's still a weird move right now.

People in this thread aren't complaining about Fried moving up as a bullpen piece for the most part, they are worried about the overall movement of players in a herky jerky way over the course of the season. The only defense of the moves we've seen are the typical nonsense clv spews that "you aren't in the meetings!", "the FO has access to things you don't!". These trite homilies were repeated ad nauseam last year with the Swanson callup, and were dead wrong.
    So YOU were in the meetings.

My bad. Can you tell us when Acuna's coming up? What about Soroka?

I need to pick them up in a couple of dynasty leagues, you know?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    I don't really care about this move. I'm more interested in this plug and play yoyo thing. I'm not impressed. Maybe it'll change. Until then I'll continue to base my posts on what I think.
    It's rather sad the poor reading comprehension going on in the thread, it's like people see something that they disagree with, and then make posts against a narrative people aren't really saying. People (outside of a couple posts in this thread) aren't complaining about Fried to the bullpen, we're worried about the plug and play yoyo thing as you put it.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    This move actually makes a helluva lot more sense than the Albies and Swanson promotions.

He's already on the 40 man, he's older and he is close to sink or swim time. He's spent significant time at AA. He'll be 24 next season so you have control through his peak years anyway. he's had one TJ, so there's always that re-injury possibility and you want to get while the getting is good.

I could live without the move but it's not near the worst move made by this FO in the last two years.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (08-05-2017), jpx7 (08-05-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I think I'm going to try to compartmentalize things going forward. Some of this seems weird, and I don't like starting the clock on these guys so late in the year, especially if they're super young.

But I'm sick of being bummed when we promote a top prospect. The fact is, I do want to see these kids in the majors as a fan, and I'm excited to start the youth movement. So I think moving forward, I'm going to allow part of me to understand it may hurt us down the road, but I'm going to jump all in on being excited once these kids are up.

So if they call up Acuna, I won't be happy but I'll be thrilled. I'm just gonna put on blinders and let myself be a dumb fan.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-05-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    This move actually makes a helluva lot more sense than the Albies and Swanson promotions.

He's already on the 40 man, he's older and he is close to sink or swim time. He's spent significant time at AA. He'll be 24 next season so you have control through his peak years anyway. he's had one TJ, so there's always that re-injury possibility and you want to get while the getting is good.

I could live without the move but it's not near the worst move made by this FO in the last two years.
    And yes, as I said, I'm not really upset about Fried. But I am worried about us calling up the much younger guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    So YOU were in the meetings.

My bad. Can you tell us when Acuna's coming up? What about Soroka?
    At the risk of going all Enscheff, feel free to give me some examples of when you were right in these thread with your trite reasoning. How is that Swanson promotion working? Or how about that Julio is too valuable to trade for someone like Benintendi and it's Moncada or bust thing working out for you?

You are providing nothing of substance here, just defending the FO moves because they are making them, as usual.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to auyushu For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-05-2017), sturg33 (08-05-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Now that the shock has worn off... I actually can see the wisdom in seeing how he responds. I keep forgetting he's on the 40 man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    For all the folks that want to be in perpetual rebuild mode, no one remembers David Price? Chris Sale? Lance Lynn? Woody Williams? Derek Lowe, Ryan Dempster, C. J. Wilson, Chuck Finley, Charlie Hough, Wilbur Wood, Keny Rogers, David Wells? How about our buddy Dave Stewart???

Using them out of the pen at one point didn't mean they were "given up on".
    I have no qualms with starting a valued SP prospect in the 'pen under the right circumstances. I just don't feel that it makes sense in this case. Fried threw ~100 IP last year, and putting him in the pen now (MiLB or MLB) sets him up for ~100 IP this year. It's not the type of move you make if you are positioning the player as an option to emerge as a full-time member of the MLB rotation in 2018. The much more likely scenario in my view is that they think it's likely he's a high-leverage RP, and they feel that this role may also help him manage the blister situation.