Thread: International Bonus Pool

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts

International Bonus Pool

So, I've come across some articles about the Yankees collecting bonus pool money to make a run at Shohei Ohtani. They collected cash for the Orioles twice and the A's in the Sonny Gray deal. The Rangers also collected some cash from the Orioles and White Sox and it was suggested they coud make a run at Ohtani. I know the Braves are in the penalty, so this isn't their game, but there could be some more deals going down for prospects/international money. Is there a site that has which teams are in the penalty, which teams are not, and how much each team has collected/spent to get an idea of who will be possibly trading money and who would be collecting it?

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    So, I've come across some articles about the Yankees collecting bonus pool money to make a run at Shohei Ohtani. They collected cash for the Orioles twice and the A's in the Sonny Gray deal. The Rangers also collected some cash from the Orioles and White Sox and it was suggested they coud make a run at Ohtani. I know the Braves are in the penalty, so this isn't their game, but there could be some more deals going down for prospects/international money. Is there a site that has which teams are in the penalty, which teams are not, and how much each team has collected/spent to get an idea of who will be possibly trading money and who would be collecting it?
    As I understand the way it works now, a team can trade away 100% of its BP money but can only acquire up to 75% more than their initial amount. So, the White Sox, having a worse record AND more initial BP money than the Yanks could still acquire enough to have more than the Yankees no matter what the Yanks do....

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    We need to send Kemp and his salary to the stankees for a midling prospect and we will also fill up their international coffers.
    Coppy

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    I swore I read there'd be a loophole Otani could use to get more money.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    As I understand the way it works now, a team can trade away 100% of its BP money but can only acquire up to 75% more than their initial amount. So, the White Sox, having a worse record AND more initial BP money than the Yanks could still acquire enough to have more than the Yankees no matter what the Yanks do....
    The White Sox are in the penalty now.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    The White Sox are in the penalty now.
    I also don't think record has anything to do with BP money. Market size is the factor that gets teams a little more. I think a lot of teams that are not penalized are going to be trading for slot money. I don't think it is unwise to acquire as much as we can. very good assets to have this off season and going into next year.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,734 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I swore I read there'd be a loophole Otani could use to get more money.

If he waits till he is 25 which is 2 years he isnt tied to the bonus pool so he would get 4-5 times more money. He has publicly said its not about the money and he wanted to sign with a MLB team out of high school. I am not buying it that he will come over now.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I also don't think record has anything to do with BP money. Market size is the factor that gets teams a little more. I think a lot of teams that are not penalized are going to be trading for slot money. I don't think it is unwise to acquire as much as we can. very good assets to have this off season and going into next year.
    It is based on record, but yeah, it might be a good idea to acquire more this early. We can either sign more guys ourselves or package a good bit of it to a team desperate to add it later.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    My question is we just traded for $1.25 million -- that's for this cycle right? Can any of it roll over into next year?

I really don't know how this works.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    My question is we just traded for $1.25 million -- that's for this cycle right? Can any of it roll over into next year?

I really don't know how this works.
    No, it is all just for this cycle.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    No, it is all just for this cycle.
    that's what I figured, which makes it a little weird right? Just about all the big names have signed and we already inked a bunch of kids. interested to see where this money goes.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Would be funny if Braves signed Ohtani to a $300k bonus then in a month "extended" him giving him a ML contract with $10M signing bonus

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-07-2017)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    If he waits till he is 25 which is 2 years he isnt tied to the bonus pool so he would get 4-5 times more money. He has publicly said its not about the money and he wanted to sign with a MLB team out of high school. I am not buying it that he will come over now.
    I know that rule, but when the CBA was announced there was talk of a loophole to get Otani over this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,734 Posts
    Otani does not need a loophole to come over now.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Would be funny if Braves signed Ohtani to a $300k bonus then in a month "extended" him giving him a ML contract with $10M signing bonus
    mlb has said they would be monitoring this closely to insure something like this doesn't happen

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    mlb has said they would be monitoring this closely to insure something like this doesn't happen
    Yeah, I did hear that as well.

So from what I can gather the Rangers or Yankees may be making a bid to get Ohtani. By gather, I mean reading speculative stories with no merit on the internet.

My first thought when hearing the Rangers was we would be looking at a deal for Profar since we've been linked to him before if they were wanting the cash to do so.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    I know that rule, but when the CBA was announced there was talk of a loophole to get Otani over this year.
    Pretty sure there's no loophole.

Most likely scenario is some team gives him max money, and then extends him early in his first season like the Rays did with Longoria. Since the Rays and Longoria set the precedent, it will be hard for MLB to claim they did anything shady.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Yeah, I did hear that as well.

So from what I can gather the Rangers or Yankees may be making a bid to get Ohtani. By gather, I mean reading speculative stories with no merit on the internet.

My first thought when hearing the Rangers was we would be looking at a deal for Profar since we've been linked to him before if they were wanting the cash to do so.
    Still wouldn't personally be against taking a flier on Profar, but given the track record of our scouts and their ability to find players like Albies, Acuna, and others for less than $300,000 I'm not sure the $1.25 million wouldn't be better spent letting them take a crack at signing an extra 10-12 July 2nd kids.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?