Thread: Buy-low 3B Option?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

Buy-low 3B Option?

The Phillies have been playing JP Crawford at 3B in the minors recently. Say it has nothing to do with Franco, but, you know.

So I wonder what it would take to get Franco from the Phillies. He's been bad this year. But his BABIP is insanely low. He still seems to be hitting the ball rather hard. K% down, BB% up.

They have pitching, but only at the lower levels.
    I don't think they would be inclined to trade within the division, especially with the Braves, because both teams have exciting young talent. I wonder if they'd consider a Fried for Franco swap. They probably wouldn't, but it's possible.

Would you be interested in Franco, and what would you give up?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    The Phillies have been playing JP Crawford at 3B in the minors recently. Say it has nothing to do with Franco, but, you know.

So I wonder what it would take to get Franco from the Phillies. He's been bad this year. But his BABIP is insanely low. He still seems to be hitting the ball rather hard. K% down, BB% up.

I don't think they would be inclined to trade within the division, especially with the Braves, because both teams have exciting young talent. I wonder if they'd consider a Fried for Franco swap. They probably wouldn't, but it's possible.

I would project him as a 1 win player. Which would imply an expected surplus value of about 2.5 over the four remaining years of contractual control. If the Phillies were willing to take someone outside our Top 15 prospects I'd do it.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post

Interesting question. I would not give up much. Doesn't seem like he's particularly good defensively and his trend is down, down, down since his debut. Seems like teams have figured him out.

On the other hand his Ks are down this year and maybe he's been unlucky and his season should have been on par with last season rather than another step back.

The Braves would not have anything to lose by giving him a try but not sure what I'd be willing to give up. I'd offer Wisler or Blair and maybe someone like Burgos or something. Swapping trash hoping for treasure.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    He's also still just turning 25 years old.
    I think he could be a 2-3 win player if he turns it back around. His debut was very nice and yeah, he's been down since. But I think there's life in that bat.

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Wasn't Kevin Maitan expected to eventually be the future third baseman? If so why not extend Philips out a year and see how Maitan progresses along next year. If he's playing good and looks on track and Phillips is still playing good extend him out another year and try to hold out till Maitan is ready to take the position.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    When a team that is worse than the Braves is making other plans for 3B, chances are that guy isn't good.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Think I'd rather see the Braves take a flier on Profar at 3B. He shouldn't cost much to acquire. If he flops they can go with Rio/Camargo/Adonis. If he catches on they could finally find a diamond in the rough...which they haven't done at all during the rebuild.