Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SUNDAY MINORS FINAL 8/13 ... Epic Gwinnett rally;, pen blows save for Wilson

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    5 2/3. Looked pretty damn good. Touched 97 a few times. Walked some guys but wasn't missing badly.
    That turned out to be a pretty good draft. Wish someone would discover some info about Rowland. Must be a pretty good injury or a pretty significant off the field problem.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    That turned out to be a pretty good draft. Wish someone would discover some info about Rowland. Must be a pretty good injury or a pretty significant off the field problem.
    Don't the Braves treat TJ as an 18-month recovery? If they found out he needed something after they took him last year, makes sense he might've had TJ and we won't see him until next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    What are your thoughts on the trio of pitchers in Rome? How would you handicap their future?
    Along the same lines I handicap the futures of Newcomb and Sims. They need to be given every chance to develop as starters. Anderson has about a 50% chance of developing into a successful major league starter. Wentz and Wilson a bit below 50%. People will hear me say that and think I don't think they're good prospects. Actually, I think they are borderline top 100 prospects. But the success rate of a borderline top 100 prospect is not that high.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-13-2017)

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Might have missed it. Why did Micah Johnson come out so early Sunday?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Don't the Braves treat TJ as an 18-month recovery? If they found out he needed something after they took him last year, makes sense he might've had TJ and we won't see him until next year.
    Everyone treats it as an 18 month recovery for pitchers.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Might have missed it. Why did Micah Johnson come out so early Sunday?
    Someone post this:

Micah got hurt running to first on an infield single in the first inning. It was a little collision but he stayed in the game then came out later, he seemed fine. His replacement Xavier Avery hit a game tying grand slam in the bottom of the 9th

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    Wilson is having a better season than Soroka had at Rome at a similar age/level.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpack1 View Post
    Wilson is having a better season than Soroka had at Rome at a similar age/level.
    Well, Wilson is basically the same age as Soroka currently, a year older than he was in Rome last year.

But Wilson's been great, no question.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    Wilson is 4 months younger than Soroka. Both pitching one year removed from their respective drafts. So very similar age/level/development path. Every stat is significantly better as well. K/9, Whip, ERA. BB/9. Wilson/Wentz/Anderson are having very good years.

Now what Soroka has done at 19 in AA is obviously another story. I think he's our best and safest pitching prospect. The lack of Ks is somewhat worrisome for his chances at becoming a TOR pitcher.

This rebuild really needs a couple guys to make it as MLB TOR pitchers from all this depth.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Wilson is 4 months younger than Soroka. Both pitching one year removed from their respective drafts. So very similar age/level/development path. Every stat is significantly better as well. K/9, Whip, ERA. BB/9. Wilson/Wentz/Anderson are having very good years.

Now what Soroka has done at 19 in AA is obviously another story. I think he's our best and safest pitching prospect. The lack of Ks is somewhat worrisome for his chances at becoming a TOR pitcher.

This rebuild really needs a couple guys to make it as MLB TOR pitchers from all this depth.
    They'll both be 19 all season. Part of what made Soroka's year last year so phenomenal was that he was very young when drafted and was 18 all season in Rome, which is rare in and of itself.

But I certainly don't mean to knock what Wilson has done. If he progresses like Soroka, that would be incredible for us.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Considering the low innings count and relative amount of quiet development (while he's up there on all the lists, there's still not much buzz around him), my guess is that the brass is betting that Gohara is that guy. Is it a reach to expect a completely homegrown (to the largest extent) rotation by 2019 that DOESN'T include anyone currently in the big club's rotation? The more we see, the less far-fetched I think that could be. We obviously need to see him make several starts and sustain success, but I think that - while dreaming and hoping a bit - we could see a 2019 rotation made up of Gohara, Wright, Fried or Newcomb, Soroka, and Allard.

There are obviously HUGE ifs on the way to that, but that would give Coppy some really good trade chips in Julio and Folty to search for a 3B and LF with. If Wright is who we think he is, a Folty for Derek Fisher and J. D. Davis or Folty for Brinson or Kyle Lewis deal suddenly makes a lot of sense, no?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Fangraphs reporting that Gohara has been hitting 99 at Gwinnett.

Said Wentz has had a great year even though he's been focused on pitch development at his level.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Considering the low innings count and relative amount of quiet development (while he's up there on all the lists, there's still not much buzz around him), my guess is that the brass is betting that Gohara is that guy. Is it a reach to expect a completely homegrown (to the largest extent) rotation by 2019 that DOESN'T include anyone currently in the big club's rotation? The more we see, the less far-fetched I think that could be. We obviously need to see him make several starts and sustain success, but I think that - while dreaming and hoping a bit - we could see a 2019 rotation made up of Gohara, Wright, Fried or Newcomb, Soroka, and Allard.

There are obviously HUGE ifs on the way to that, but that would give Coppy some really good trade chips in Julio and Folty to search for a 3B and LF with. If Wright is who we think he is, a Folty for Derek Fisher and J. D. Davis or Folty for Brinson or Kyle Lewis deal suddenly makes a lot of sense, no?
    Yes, I think that is quite a reach.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Fangraphs reporting that Gohara has been hitting 99 at Gwinnett.

Said Wentz has had a great year even though he's been focused on pitch development at his level.
    The game I attended, he was sitting 96 and hitting 97 and 98 occasionally. Tough to totally trust, but he clearly has some zip.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    They'll both be 19 all season. Part of what made Soroka's year last year so phenomenal was that he was very young when drafted and was 18 all season in Rome, which is rare in and of itself.

But I certainly don't mean to knock what Wilson has done. If he progresses like Soroka, that would be incredible for us.
    In a related story, Allard turned 20 yesterday.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    The game I attended, he was sitting 96 and hitting 97 and 98 occasionally. Tough to totally trust, but he clearly has some zip.
    If recent history is any indication, he will be throwing 93 by the time he gets to Atlanta haha.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Garmel (08-14-2017), smootness (08-14-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If recent history is any indication, he will be throwing 93 by the time he gets to Atlanta haha.
    Very true, hoping there is some truth in those numbers. I'd be surprised if he has legitimately hit 99, but it'd be nice if he can sit 93-95.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    This is true.