Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's be real about Newcomb

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Newcomb has 0.6 fWAR over 11 starts (58.2 ip). If you use that rate over 33 starts (175.1 ip), that's around 1.8 fWAR.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    If Newk gets his BB/9 under 4, he'll be a very, very good MLB starter. If his BB/9 is in the 4's, he'll be a useful major league starter as he doesn't give up many hits and has always had an excellent HR rate. If his BB/9 stays over 5 then he'll likely be destined for the pen where he could become and entirely different animal.

Many pitchers improve their BB rates as they go into their late 20's. Hopefully Newcomb is one of them.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Newcomb has 0.6 fWAR over 11 starts (58.2 ip). If you use that rate over 33 starts (175.1 ip), that's around 1.8 fWAR.
    Ask Joe about his win loss record.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Ask Joe about his win loss record.
    That's true. 1-7, so this discussion is over #flop

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    My only problem with Newk is... "if he gets his walks down" has been said for the last 2 years. I am a big Newk supporter, but even I get a bad sense that he just doesn't know how to throw his stuff where he wants to.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    My only problem with Newk is... "if he gets his walks down" has been said for the last 2 years. I am a big Newk supporter, but even I get a bad sense that he just doesn't know how to throw his stuff where he wants to.
    Strike 2

One more and you can't be a posi

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpack1 View Post
    Newk will and should get every chance to succeed because of the Ks, low BAA, and low HR rate. But let's be real. If he continues to walk 5/9 he will not succeed. He gets that to 3.5 and he will be very successful. He should basically get all of this year and next to prove one or the other.
    Agree. For a little different (non data-driven) slant, here's a post from an earlier Newcomb thread that didn't take off.

What did you guys think of his stuff last night? Command, movement, etc?

I thought he was finishing his fastball, what I would just teach as finishing on the catcher's left shin guard. He's got a different nomenclature for it, calls it "spinning off" his arm side and that he was working on it between starts...I think we're saying the same thing. But as several have pointed out here, when he gets in trouble with his command he leaves the ball up and away.

To me, this is good news. He's not spraying the ball, he's got a clearly identifiable mechanical issue that he'll probably have to monitor the rest of his career, but if he's able to conquer it (Unit did), the curveball is camera ready and the change, though the least developed, has looked good the last few starts, too. He has velocity and I think he's intelligent, which I like in a pitcher.

Going from seven walks to one is certainly good news. You give up seven walks, you're not giving yourself a chance. Trust your stuff, keep grinding, and you could see a legit 1-2-3 starter in a year or two. I'm cautiously optimistic, and this is a good time and place to work on it.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Strike 2

One more and you can't be a posi
    wait.. what.. are you freaking CB Buckner.. where was strike 1!!!
    Coppy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-14-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    All responses in this thread have basically assumed Newk is somehow different than all the guys I listed over the last 20 years. All of those guys "just needed to get the walks down and they will be great", but most of them couldn't.

It's common for fans to think their guys are special, but the truth is they aren't. The tiny list of guys fitting the criteria I selected shows just how lucky Newk has been to even be allowed to make 10+ starts this season.

The chances of a 24 year old walking 5+ per 9 suddenly figuring out how to throw strikes is very slim. But I agree, it's not like the Braves have anyone else worth giving those starts. That scenario is what is allowing him to rack up starts despite awful control. I suspect many of the other guys on that list were also allowed to rack up starts while walking so many guys due to similar circumstances within their organization at the time.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-14-2017 at 11:18 AM.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,034 Posts
    Ok, because someone had to do it, here it is.

Sandy Koufax pitched part or all of 12 seasons for the Brooklyn/LA Dodgers. In the first six, he averaged 5.6/9 BB. The last six, 2.3/9.

See? He's just like Koufax.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    wait.. what.. are you freaking CB Buckner.. where was strike 1!!!
    Questioning the greatness of Newcomb is so egregious that it counts as 2 strikes. Newcomb is above question... he and wentz are the best 2 pitching prospects in baseball

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    And that is a success in your book?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Ok, because someone had to do it, here it is.

Sandy Koufax pitched part or all of 12 seasons for the Brooklyn/LA Dodgers. In the first six, he averaged 5.6/9 BB. The last six, 2.3/9.

See? He's just like Koufax.
    Yep.

Also here's randy johnson's first 4 years starting...

'89 -- k/9 = 7.28, bb/9 = 5.38, BAA = .239
    '90 -- k/9 = 7.95, bb/9 = 4.92, BAA = .212
    '91 -- k9 = 10.19, bb9 = 6.79, BAA = .208
    '92 -- k9 = 10.31, bb9 = 6.16, BAA = .203

Newcomb is a mix of Koufax and Johnson #GOAT

Seriously though, I bet the mariners are glad they were patient w/Johnson

15. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (08-14-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    And that is a success in your book?
    As a rookie starter, yeah

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    All responses in this thread have basically assumed Newk is somehow different than all the guys I listed over the last 20 years. All of those guys "just needed to get the walks down and they will be great", but most of them couldn't.

It's common for fans to think their guys are special, but the truth is they aren't. The tiny list of guys fitting the criteria I selected shows just how lucky Newk has been to even be allowed to make 10+ starts this season.

The chances of a 24 year old walking 5+ per 9 suddenly figuring out how to throw strikes is very slim. But I agree, it's not like the Braves have anyone else worth giving those starts. That scenario is what is allowing him to rack up starts despite awful control. I suspect many of the other guys on that list were also allowed to rack up starts while walking so many guys due to similar circumstances within their organization at the time.
    That list of guys over the last 20 years, while interesting, had too many conditions. Limiting it to guys who made their MLB debuts at age 24 or older eliminates a ton of very relevant pitchers. I don't think it's fair at all to eliminate guys who made their debuts at 22 or 23 from consideration as comps. Different players mature at different rates or start from different places in development.

Lets go back to Gio Gonzalez. He debuted in his age 23 year but didn't pitch a full season in the majors until age 25. In the year Gonzalez turned 24, he pitched 98 innings for the A's with a 5.11 BB/9 to go along with a 9.94 K/9 and a 1.28 HR/9. Newk's numbers are slightly better at this point.

But, because Gonzalez pitched 34 innings the year before he doesn't appear on that list. BTW, Gonzalez hasn't had a BB/9 higher than 3.54 since 2011.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    That list of guys over the last 20 years, while interesting, had too many conditions. Limiting it to guys who made their MLB debuts at age 24 or older eliminates a ton of very relevant pitchers. I don't think it's fair at all to eliminate guys who made their debuts at 22 or 23 from consideration as comps. Different players mature at different rates or start from different places in development.

Lets go back to Gio Gonzalez. He debuted in his age 23 year but didn't pitch a full season in the majors until age 25. In the year Gonzalez turned 24, he pitched 98 innings for the A's with a 5.11 BB/9 to go along with a 9.94 K/9 and a 1.28 HR/9. Newk's numbers are slightly better at this point.

But, because Gonzalez pitched 34 innings the year before he doesn't appear on that list. BTW, Gonzalez hasn't had a BB/9 higher than 3.54 since 2011.
    You are certainly welcome to set your own criteria and come up with your own list of comps. I'll go ahead and predict right now that your expanded list will include a success story like Gio, and 10-20 other guys who busted out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    You are certainly welcome to set your own criteria and come up with your own list of comps. I'll go ahead and predict right now that your expanded list will include a success story like Gio, and 10-20 other guys who busted out.
    But how many of the busts are guys who K over 9 per 9 IP? How many have HR rates under 1 per 9 IP? How many have BAA's of under .250? And how many have all three of those?

It's easy to focus on Newk's BBs and it is an important stat. But comparing him to guys with similar BB rates at an age 24 debut doesn't tell half the story.

I'll bet if you put together a list of pitchers with K/9 over 9, HRs per 9 under 1, and a BAA under .250 at age 24 over the last 20 years, you'd see some pretty impressive names.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    I lowered the MLB debut age to 23, and changed the criteria to be 10+ starts in the first or second season. This produced the following list of 41 guys that includes Gio:

Aaron Harang
    Aaron Heilman
    Andy Larkin
    Angel Guzman
    Blake Snell
    Blake Stein
    Brandon Webb
    Carlos Marmol
    Daisuke Matsuzaka
    Dan Reichert
    Dan Wright
    Daniel Cabrera
    Doug Davis
    Eric Gagne
    Gio Gonzalez
    J.D. Durbin
    Jarred Cosart
    Jesus Sanchez
    Joaquin Benoit
    Joe Nathan
    Joel Hanrahan
    Justin Miller
    Kazuhisa Ishii
    Kerry Wood
    Kip Wells
    Kyle Drabek
    Micah Bowie
    Octavio Dotel
    Paul Rigdon
    Radhames Liz
    Rafael Medina
    Randy Keisler
    Rob Tejeda
    Russ Ortiz
    Ryan Glynn
    Scott Eyre
    Scott Williamson
    Sean Newcomb
    Seth McClung
    Tony Saunders
    Victor Zambrano

A cursory review of the list reveals 4 good SPs (Gio, Harang, Wood and Webb), a handful of good BP guys, a few older foreign imports, a few mediocre guys like Russ Ortiz, and lot more busts.

So still about a 10% chance to be an impact SP.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    But how many of the busts are guys who K over 9 per 9 IP? How many have HR rates under 1 per 9 IP? How many have BAA's of under .250? And how many have all three of those?

It's easy to focus on Newk's BBs and it is an important stat. But comparing him to guys with similar BB rates at an age 24 debut doesn't tell half the story.

I'll bet if you put together a list of pitchers with K/9 over 9, HRs per 9 under 1, and a BAA under .250 at age 24 over the last 20 years, you'd see some pretty impressive names.
    Ok let's make the criteria so comically restrictive there are hardly any matches. You realize such a list will only be a sub set of the list I already provided above, right?

Here's the results for single seasons, From 1997 to 2017, Age at or above 23, From 1st season to 2nd season, For any choice in Season Totals, (requiring GS >= 10, BBp9 >= 5, SOp9 >= 9 and Hp9 <= 8.3):

Scott Williamson (8.8 career WAR)

Impressive list indeed!!
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-14-2017 at 12:17 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Ok let's make the criteria so comically restrictive there are hardly any matches. You realize such a list will only be a sub set of the list I already provided above, right?

Here's the results for single seasons, From 1997 to 2017, Age at or above 23, From 1st season to 2nd season, For any choice in Season Totals, (requiring GS >= 10, BBp9 >= 5, SOp9 >= 9 and Hp9 <= 8.3):

Scott Williamson (8.8 career WAR)

Impressive list indeed!!
    I think his point is that you used age and BB rate as your qualifiers. Which is fine, and it's interesting and useful. But you could also focus on other things he's doing and it would also be interesting and useful.

Show me any kind of list of SPs who fall under pretty much any general criteria, and there's going to be a low % of them turning into something really good.

Of course Newcomb is a bit of a long shot. So are pretty much all pitchers, especially when the only qualifier you use is the biggest negative they have. And yes, Newcomb is an even longer shot than some other good prospects and MLB newbies. We all pretty much know that, who has claimed he's a good bet to be a stud?