Thread: So how important is a great minor system?

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

So how important is a great minor system?

Here is an interesting look at the past. Maybe this will quell some fears as to the direction the head office is going

http://www.baseballamerica.com/onlin...ampaign=buffer

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    It is pretty incredible to sit inside the top 6 for 8 straight years, especially considering that 6 of those years were inside the top 3 and 4 were #1.

It is far more incredible to do that while winning a ton of MLB games.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    In answer to the title of the thread, a lot depends on size of market and the plan to replace players who move on (either through poor performance or free agency). If you are a mid-market team (or below), I think a farm system is very important because you are likely to cycle through players more than if you are a large-market team. You are going to need replacement parts and most of those parts are likely going to have to come from within. I don't rag on Wren that much, but the weakness of his approach (and maybe it wasn't his approach) is that he didn't have guys ready to slot in to replace someone like Heyward when it was obvious he was heading elsewhere. I hate mentioning Heyward because he's such a lightning rod, but not having a ready replacement forced his trade (at least to some extent) and then we sign Markakis because we don't have anyone groomed for the opportunity. Whoever was in charge didn't do a good job of planning for the eventual departures/declines of key players.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Having a farm system is very important. I think that's the most important thing about Coppy and Hart. They are focused on replenishing with waves. You should constantly be looking to make trades like the Mallex/Gohara trade. You should look to pick up extra draft picks when possible and focus on the draft. You should trade fringe guys and try and hit on a risk/reward guy like Ajax. You can do these things rather you're competing for a World Series ring or in last place. We got either cocky or lazy which put us in the whole we were in before the rebuild started. I appreciate a good hustler and Coppy seems to be that guy.

I keep hearing debates about when the rebuild will be over, and I don't think it ever should be. I don't think you should be the Pirates and never care about winning, but you should be like the Rays and constantly be looking to sell high and buy low utilizing whatever resources you have.... and we should have more resources coming thanks to the battery

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

rico43 (08-16-2017)

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Having a farm system is very important. I think that's the most important thing about Coppy and Hart. They are focused on replenishing with waves. You should constantly be looking to make trades like the Mallex/Gohara trade. You should look to pick up extra draft picks when possible and focus on the draft. You should trade fringe guys and try and hit on a risk/reward guy like Ajax. You can do these things rather you're competing for a World Series ring or in last place. We got either cocky or lazy which put us in the whole we were in before the rebuild started. I appreciate a good hustler and Coppy seems to be that guy.

I keep hearing debates about when the rebuild will be over, and I don't think it ever should be. I don't think you should be the Pirates and never care about winning, but you should be like the Rays and constantly be looking to sell high and buy low utilizing whatever resources you have.... and we should have more resources coming thanks to the battery
    I look forward to when the rebuild is called ... the Build.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post

Good post, I agree with all of it. Not sure the Rays are a great example anymore, though, I don't really like what they've done recently. Look at their recent moves at SS...trading away Tim Beckham for essentially nothing and then bringing in Hechavarria. Just seems like they're not as smart as they used to be.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    It's important. Almost as important as correctly valuing players at the MLB level.