Thread: GDT 9/27/2013: Braves v. Phillies

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    It also seems Fredi has chosen Reed over Joey T. I doubt either are ready to contribute much if any come the playoffs. This is why I'd been getting Joey T starts off and on the past month. Oh well, I hope it doesn't burn us in the playoffs but it probably will at some point.
    Your hate for Fredi is showing.

Reed or Terdo is like choosing between apples and oranges, not much difference, and it sure as hell doesn't cost us a playoff game.

Still comes down to JUp and Heyward hitting at an MVP level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    Are you kidding me? I answered the question. Is Reed ready? More ready than the other option. That might not be the answer you want, but it is definitely an answer.
    I should be asking you the same since my question was clear enough. Obviously, you don't have much confidence is Reed Johnson being ready either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Your hate for Fredi is showing.

Reed or Terdo is like choosing between apples and oranges, not much difference, and it sure as hell doesn't cost us a playoff game.

Still comes down to JUp and Heyward hitting at an MVP level.
    I guess you haven't been watching the Braves in the playoffs very long. If you had you'd recall all the big games bench options won for us going back to the early 90's and Frankie Cabrera. Maybe the reason you don't is because you're also a Yankee fan. Maybe you changed the channel to watch your Yankees at that point, lol.

Bottom line: If we go far enough the bench will come into play so they need to be sharp too.

Also, save the Fredi bashing nonsense. It's old and tired but expected from you.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 09-27-2013 at 03:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    I should be asking you the same since my question was clear enough. Obviously, you don't have much confidence is Reed Johnson being ready either.

So. Let's get super specific, since that seems to be what you are going for.

Is Reed ready for what?

5th spot on the bench? Yes.

Starting in LF (in the playoffs)? In an emergency.

CF? No.

RF? Probably not.

Is Joey T ready for any of that? No.

Is anyone else on the roster (who isn't going to make the playoffs)? No.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I guess you haven't been watching the Braves in the playoffs very long. If you had you'd recall all the big games bench options won for us going back to the early 90's and Frankie Cabrera. Maybe the reason you don't is because you're also a Yankee fan. Maybe you changed the channel to watch your Yankees at that point, lol.

Bottom line: If we go far enough the bench will come into play so they need to be sharp too.

Also, save the Fredi bashing nonsense. It's old and tired but expected from you.
    One, I'm not a Yankee fan but nice to make things up I suppose. I don't hate or like them.

Two, who should PH then, it will likely be Schafer depending if it's a righty or lefty.

Three, Regards to Fredi, you're always complaining about something, so that means you have something against him, not rocket science.

Four, Reed Johnson pinch hitting wont be the reason we win or lose in the playoffs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts

So. Let's get super specific, since that seems to be what you are going for.

Is Reed ready for what?

5th spot on the bench? Yes.

Starting in LF (in the playoffs)? In an emergency.

CF? No.

RF? Probably not.

Is Joey T ready for any of that? No.

Is anyone else on the roster (who isn't going to make the playoffs)? No.
    If you really have that much confidence in Reed being ready, no reason not to be clear on that initially. Unless you were just looking to take a shot at Joey T or something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    If you really have that much confidence in Reed being ready, no reason not to be clear on that initially. Unless you were just looking to take a shot at Joey T or something.
    You made it sound like Fredi choosing Reed over Joey T was a bad choice. That is the only reason Joey T is even in the discussion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    With the bench it looks like we are going to have, Reed at 80% is the best hitter on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    One, I'm not a Yankee fan but nice to make things up I suppose. I don't hate or like them.

Two, who should PH then, it will likely be Schafer depending if it's a righty or lefty.

Three, Regards to Fredi, you're always complaining about something, so that means you have something against him, not rocket science.

Four, Reed Johnson pinch hitting wont be the reason we win or lose in the playoffs.
    I didn't make anything up, I am going by old posts you made at Scout. Maybe you're not a Yankee fan as much now that your boy went to Cleveland? If so, I don't know that but still didn't make anything up.

As far as who will pinch hit, I'd like to have both Joey T and Reed as ready as possible to be safe. But I've been saying that all month off and on. I just don't see that realistically happening at this point. Unfortunately, Reed Johnson missed more time than we'd hoped and hasn't really been 100% since returning. This is why it was and still is important to have Joey T ready for the playoffs too. Obviously, Schafer is only an option vs righties and given his struggles the second half not one that gives me confidence either. Further, no I don't blame Fredi for that since you seem to think I blame him for everything. Actually you seem to think anyone that questions something Fredi does "hates" him, etc. That's humorous and all but really gets old reading after a while.

Also to your fourth point, neither you nor I can know if a Reed Johnson AB could factor in us winning or losing in the playoffs. It is certainly possible with all the tight games in the playoffs and probably likely at least a game or two should we go far enough (World Series). As I noted, the '92 NLCS came down to our last man on the bench, catcher Frankie Cabrera.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    You made it sound like Fredi choosing Reed over Joey T was a bad choice. That is the only reason Joey T is even in the discussion.
    Nah, you read that into what I said. I want both as ready as possible and have said so on and off for at least a month now.

Playing the Waiting Game Bdawg2309's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    reed>joey T
    easily.

joey T had his shot while the OF was decimated and didn't take advantage of hit
    his avg is garbage, no power in the big leagues so far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg2309 View Post
    reed>joey T
    easily.

joey T had his shot while the OF was decimated and didn't take advantage of hit
    his avg is garbage, no power in the big leagues so far.
    Didn't you make a similar post about Gattis a while back before his demotion and return to starting? Or was that someone else? Whatever the case, I don't agree with the popular view of Joey T anymore than I did on Gattis.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    I didn't make anything up, I am going by old posts you made at Scout. Maybe you're not a Yankee fan as much now that your boy went to Cleveland? If so, I don't know that but still didn't make anything up.

As far as who will pinch hit, I'd like to have both Joey T and Reed as ready as possible to be safe. But I've been saying that all month off and on. I just don't see that realistically happening at this point. Unfortunately, Reed Johnson missed more time than we'd hoped and hasn't really been 100% since returning. This is why it was and still is important to have Joey T ready for the playoffs too. Obviously, Schafer is only an option vs righties and given his struggles the second half not one that gives me confidence either. Further, no I don't blame Fredi for that since you seem to think I blame him for everything. Actually you seem to think anyone that questions something Fredi does "hates" him, etc. That's humorous and all but really gets old reading after a while.

Also to your fourth point, neither you nor I can know if a Reed Johnson AB could factor in us winning or losing in the playoffs. It is certainly possible with all the tight games in the playoffs and probably likely at least a game or two should we go far enough (World Series). As I noted, the '92 NLCS came down to our last man on the bench, catcher Frankie Cabrera.
    I'm a fan of Swisher, I was hoping we'd sign him, that's why. Im also a huge fan of Trout, am I an Angels fan too, then huh? I've said many times I don't hate or like the Yankees, no reason too.

If it comes down to the last man on the bench, then whatever. Actually, no, it seems everytime we lose, or something goes wrong people bitch about Fredi. Like when he gives someone a day off, or we lose a close game, or pulling a pitcher too early, or whatever that might be. Fact holds true.

Again, I doubt a PH will be the reason we lose or win, it comes down to Heyward and JUp playing at an MVP level, if so we can win it all, if not we wont go very far, period.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    is like choosing between apples and oranges, not much difference
    I think you're missing the real meaning of that maxim.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (09-27-2013), Julio3000 (09-27-2013)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Kinda crazy, Big argument about Reed Johnson. Really?

They're just giving him a game to see if he's ready to go for the playoffs. He hits lefties so he goes tonight. Big deal. His injury effect his running, not his hitting. That's why they put him in left, I presume.

Should he be hitting 2nd? Probably not, but its not a big deal by any means.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I'm a fan of Swisher, I was hoping we'd sign him, that's why. Im also a huge fan of Trout, am I an Angels fan too, then huh? I've said many times I don't hate or like the Yankees, no reason too.

If it comes down to the last man on the bench, then whatever. Actually, no, it seems everytime we lose, or something goes wrong people bitch about Fredi. Like when he gives someone a day off, or we lose a close game, or pulling a pitcher too early, or whatever that might be. Fact holds true.

Again, I doubt a PH will be the reason we lose or win, it comes down to Heyward and JUp playing at an MVP level, if so we can win it all, if not we wont go very far, period.
    Given the hard time you've given Giles about being a Nats fan, I find your response to my calling you a Yankee fan quite funny. But it's really not worth debating further. I just honestly thought you were a Yankee fan after a response you made at Scout in past asking what AL Teams board members cheer for. As I recall you said the Yankees because of Swisher, etc. Further, I totally disagree that there's no reason to hate the Yankees. There's very few Braves fans I've met that disagree with me on that thankfully.

As far as the other stuff in your post, I've already pointed out my take in that area. I will add that every team's fans question the manager over losses and such. Managers tend to get too much credit for wins and too much blame for losses. That's just the way it goes and how many fans take out their frustrations. While others are hard on the players a lot, etc.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 09-27-2013 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Nah, you read that into what I said. I want both as ready as possible and have said so on and off for at least a month now.
    Of course I read into it. That is what you are meant to do when asked a question (so you can accurately answer it). I assumed it had depth.

Let me ask you this: If Reed does not make the team, who does?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Of course I read into it. That is what you are meant to do when asked a question (so you can accurately answer it). I assumed it had depth.

Let me ask you this: If Reed does not make the team, who does?
    Obviously, I simply meant you read into more than intended. As far as your question goes, I would expect there to be room for Reed Johnson and Joey T on the playoff roster.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Obviously, I simply meant you read into more than intended. As far as your question goes, I would expect there to be room for Reed Johnson and Joey T on the playoff roster.

Really? How would that work?

Heyward
    Upton
    Freeman
    Johnson
    McCann
    Gattis
    Simmons
    P
    EJ

Laird, BJ, Uggla, Schafer, Reed (if they go with one less bullpen pitcher, that bench spot will go to Janish)

Where would you put Reed AND Joey T?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    I would expect there to be room for Reed Johnson and Joey T on the playoff roster.
    But I understand why you refuse to answer the question.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

Heyward (09-27-2013)