Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Why Albies needs to stop hitting so many fly balls

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Something weird is happening w/ Ozzie...

His BABIP is about 30 pts lower than last season
    His exit velo is consistent
    His HardHit% and MedHit% is down from last season
    His LD% is the exact same

BUT

He's already outpaced his HR total in 118 fewer at bats and equaled the number of doubles.

I don't really have an explanation

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (04-27-2018), Jaw (04-27-2018), jpx7 (04-26-2018), Super (04-27-2018), thethe (04-27-2018), thewupk (04-27-2018)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    As long as the wins keep coming I freaking don't care. You stat first guys don't know how to enjoy anything for just what it is. Which is a good, young, talented team playing damn good baseball.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VirginiaBrave For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (04-27-2018), FreemanFan (04-27-2018), GovClintonTyree (04-27-2018)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Let's see if we can put Ozzie's actual numbers into perspective. After yesterday's game, he has played in 81 games--exactly one-half of a full season and has hit 14 HRs.

Bear with me here and let's extrapolate those numbers over a full season and Ozzie would have 28 homers (And yes, I know all about fly ball ratios, exit velocities and small sample sizes).

How many major leaguers in history have hit more than 28 homers in their first full seasons at age 21 or younger?

Five.

Their names are Cody Bellinger (last season, obviously), Frank Robinson, Albert Pujols, Ted Williams, and Joe DiMaggio.

Heck, let's assume Ozzie realizes that Enscheff is right and he isn't really a power hitter and comes crashing back to Earth and hits zero homers over his next 81 games, so he finishes his first 162 games with 14 homers.

How many major leaguers in history have hit more than 14 homers in their first full season at age 21 or younger? A whopping 28.

If he splits the difference and hits 7 in the next 81 games, only 15 players in major leagues history would have bested his 21 homers in their first full season under age 21.

Let's enjoy it, folks, we really may be starting to see something special.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JCarbo76 For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (04-27-2018), FreemanFan (04-27-2018), GovClintonTyree (04-27-2018), Jaw (04-27-2018), jpx7 (04-27-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

BUT

He's already outpaced his HR total in 118 fewer at bats and equaled the number of doubles.

small sample weirdness
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Ens is usually right or close to right in the end. Everyone give him props for that, he knows his stuff.

But am I the only one that thinks him being a total elitist prick that takes away the good he brings.? I mean, I am like "dude, just stick to analyses as no one can touch you and quit being a douche about it or be a know it all." I would punch someone like him in the face for being that way because it is not needed."

Be cordial, you got a good audience, treat them like that. Disagree with them but do it in a humble way.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AerchAngel For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (04-27-2018), VirginiaBrave (04-27-2018)

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    Ens is usually right or close to right in the end. Everyone give him props for that, he knows his stuff.

But am I the only one that thinks him being a total elitist prick that takes away the good he brings.? I mean, I am like "dude, just stick to analyses as no one can touch you and quit being a douche about it or be a know it all." I would punch someone like him in the face for being that way because it is not needed."

Be cordial, you got a good audience, treat them like that. Disagree with them but do it in a humble way.
    My biggest takeaway is that while he is probably right, it seems that he is more concerned with being right rather than the success of the team.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bravesfan For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (04-27-2018), VirginiaBrave (04-27-2018)

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Agreed 200%

It also helps that he does it in almost every thread, including game threads, so that the only way we could avoid it would be to leave.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CJC For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (04-27-2018)

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts

Right. Really all I was asking for was his take on Ozzie's start and whether he had some statistical knowledge that might explain the results, which don't seem to match up with his exit velocity. While I'm not as statistically inclined as many on the board, I do appreciate good analysis and thought maybe he saw something.

Sadly, it immediately devolved into him insulting me for asking what he considered an ill-informed question, and he did what he does. And as you say, that's unfortunate.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Right. Really all I was asking for was his take on Ozzie's start and whether he had some statistical knowledge that might explain the results, which don't seem to match up with his exit velocity. While I'm not as statistically inclined as many on the board, I do appreciate good analysis and thought maybe he saw something.

Sadly, it immediately devolved into him insulting me for asking what he considered an ill-informed question, and he did what he does. And as you say, that's unfortunate.
    My insight would be, based on looking the explanation is pretty simple, because he's elevating a lot of balls (46.4% fly ball rate). Honestly he is doing it too much for my liking but my feeling is if you're going to elevate that much, eventually you're going to run into some.

Honestly it might behoove him to start doing a little more of the less exaggerated leg kick on his left side, as while he's getting good results overall, the overall numbers for him on his left side are a little scary. Either way, that side is never going to be stronger for him but it needs to be stronger than a .225 BA (.750 OPS propped up by slugging) with a 20.5% K (strikeouts are up in the league but for a contact guy that's scary).
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgiaGirl For This Useful Post:

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts

He is on my ignore list because despite how smart he is he is also exactly what you say and his negatives outweighs his positives to me.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Orphan Black For This Useful Post:

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts

BUT

The explanation is simply luck over 100 PAs, and I'm not sure how many other ways I can say the same thing. A lot of his FBs are falling just over the edge of the fence right now, as evidenced by his 20%+ HR rate.

So far in 2018, exactly 44 players have hit 5+ HRs. Ozzie ranks #38 in average exit velocity on those HRs. He simply doesn't hit the ball very hard.

It is a trivial exercise to head to FG and use the splits leader boards to find players who have had a lucky HR month and then come nowhere close to repeating it. Albies simply doesn't hit the ball hard enough to support a 20%+ HR rate long term, and he can't keep hitting fly balls 46% of the time.

I know it upsets people to hear that, and I fully expect backlash...but facts are facts.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 04-27-2018 at 12:05 PM.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The explanation is simply luck over 100 PAs, and I'm not sure how many other ways I can say the same thing. A lot of his FBs are falling just over the edge of the fence right now, as evidenced by his 20%+ HR rate.

So far in 2018, exactly 44 players have hit 5+ HRs. Ozzie ranks #38 in average exit velocity on those HRs.

It is a trivial exercise to head to FG and use the splits leader boards to find players who have had a lucky HR month and then come nowhere close to repeating it. Albies simply doesn't hit the ball hard enough to support a 20%+ HR rate long term, and he can't keep hitting fly balls 46% of the time.

I know it upsets people to hear that, and I fully expect backlash...but facts are facts.
    not many dispute your facts.

But being a total prick about being right is the problem.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to AerchAngel For This Useful Post:

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    not many dispute your facts.

But being a total prick about being right is the problem.
    actually a lot of people seem to dispute them and get upset because it goes against what they want to believe

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    actually a lot of people seem to dispute them and get upset because it goes against what they want to believe
    The origins of almost every single back and forth came about because some person on this board thought they were smarter than they are, and got upset that I proved them wrong. Once they begin the personal attacks, I never let it go.

There are several posters on this board who disagree with me intelligently, have never resorted to attacking me personally, and therefore I never attack them. Never.

Have I ever personally attacked you, nsacpi, beanie, jpx, or the other intelligent and respectful posters when they disagree with me? No, I have not.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The origins of almost every single back and forth came about because some person on this board thought they were smarter than they are, and got upset that I proved them wrong. Once they begin the personal attacks, I never let it go.

There are several posters on this board who disagree with me intelligently, have never resorted to attacking me personally, and therefore I never attack them. Never.
    Jackass.

Bring it.
    Coppy

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Oh, great, another thread about this ****wit.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Garmel (04-27-2018), GovClintonTyree (04-27-2018)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Why are you calling Ozzie a ****wit.
    Coppy

29. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (04-27-2018)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Why are you calling Ozzie a ****wit.
    Because he isn't intelligent and has attacked me (personally).

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (04-27-2018), Garmel (04-27-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Perfect example of a moron who doesn't like being shown to be a moron and resorts to personal attacks.

Shall I spend some time digging up more examples?