Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Albies needs to stop hitting so many fly balls

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,861 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    watch the movie human centipede and tell me that again.
    thats science fiction...not science

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-27-2017), Managuarantano's Volunteers (08-27-2017), nsacpi (08-27-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    So is he good or lucky? Trade him if he's just lucky!
    I would say he's decent, lucky, and almost certain to get better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    thats science fiction...not science
    Dr Mengele says hi.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I would say he's decent, lucky, and almost certain to get better.
    I've watched him a lot. I think he should be plug, play and left alone with no "Snitking" going on. I agree and I think he is definitely going to get better.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Interesting thread from last August (other than the usual personal crap). I was thinking about this the other day. I don't know if "misguided" is the right word, but given the additional two months of results we have to consider, a lot of this thread looks...premature. And, probably we should take more than three weeks to decide guys are finished products.
    Last edited by GovClintonTyree; 04-21-2018 at 04:09 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Interesting thread from last August (other than the usual personal crap). I was thinking about this the other day. I don't know if "misguided" is the right word, but given the additional two months of results we have to consider, a lot of this thread looks...premature. And, probably we should take more than three weeks to decide guys are finished products.
    Albies is currently sporting a HR rate of 21.4%. When that normalizes I’ll be sure to remind everyone that you tried to make a point and failed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Obviously he won't continue to hit homers at his current rate, but since you're being a dick about it, your whole Joe Simpson "hit is down and use your speed" approach that you were advocating was pretty darn retarded.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Kinda like when Keith Law decided Freddie Freeman was a "poor man's Mark Grace." Misguided, premature, and lazy.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Hmm, your reading comprehension is still as poor as it always was.

I actually said, “He needs to be hitting LDs and GBs with launch angles between about 5 and 20 degrees.“

I never said “hit it down and use your speed”.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 04-21-2018 at 04:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts

I actually said, “He needs to be hitting LDs and GBs with launch angles between about 5 and 20 degrees.“

Ok, let's talk about this, just because I'm interested and would value your thoughts.

Is there an optimum launch angle for a particular exit speed? I would think despite Albies' size, his exit speed is above average. In which case, he ought to go ahead and elevate the ball at times, considering he seems to barrel up more than his share.

As an aside, when I was a little guy, maybe 10, my grandfather from out of town watched me and gave me the Joe Simpson talk. I tried to hit down on the ball for about a week and decided he didn't know what he was talking about and went back to trying to hit line drives with a slight uppercut plane.

Which I think is probably what most hitters should try and do. Barrel the ball up. Hit line drives. If you're strong and quick enough, you'll hit some backspin fly balls that go out.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    I posted a link to an article that described exactly what you asked. You probably should have read and understood that information before commenting rather than relying on anecdotes from when you were 10.

My comment about “the purple area” is in direct reference to the applicable chart.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Albies isn't going to hit 52 HR lol, but his 6 homers so far, even at Coors have not been cheapies.

My guess would still be that this balances out, not Inciarte like, but still and he's going to have to pair that balancing out with the strong slap hitter that's still in him. He's still going to turn some singles into doubles, but I may eat a hat if he hits 30+ HR.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    Albies isn't going to hit 52 HR lol, but his 6 homers so far, even at Coors have not been cheapies.

My guess would still be that this balances out, not Inciarte like, but still and he's going to have to pair that balancing out with the strong slap hitter that's still in him. He's still going to turn some singles into doubles, but I may eat a hat if he hits 30+ HR.
    If Albies is a true-talent 15-20 HR guy, he is only 1-2 unsustainable streaks like this away from posting a 25-30 HR season.

That’s awesome when that happens. The problem comes when folks misunderstand what really happened and start projecting future performance based on those outcomes.

For example, There is no doubt that CJ won a batting title. It was great. The issue was extending him to a contract based on that batting title.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    If I had to close my eyes and take a wag at what he ends up at power wise this year, it'd be 25 HR/40 doubles/10 triples. Amazing all around but realistically, 75 XBH is peak season caliber.

Heck, that in itself is amazing but he has gotten off to a ridiculous start in the power department.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    I posted a link to an article that described exactly what you asked. You probably should have read and understood that information before commenting rather than relying on anecdotes from when you were 10.

My comment about “the purple area” is in direct reference to the applicable chart.
    What's it say? I was thinking you might answer the question instead of showing your ass again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post

Did you see the fastball from Thor he turned around last night? That ain't normal.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

Garmel (04-21-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts

BTW, your "launch angles between 5 and 20 percent comment" might be one of the stupidest things you've ever said. Might as well say, "somewhere between Dee Gordon and Kris Bryant,"

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Did you see the fastball from Thor he turned around last night? That ain't normal.
    All of these observations are nice, but as far back as I first watched him, no player I saw On a Braves minor league team barreled balls consistentlylike Albies. I see strength being as much a factor as his launch angle because he always hit line drives not slap as had been described.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Yup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    All of these observations are nice, but as far back as I first watched him, no player I saw On a Braves minor league team barreled balls consistentlylike Albies. I see strength being as much a factor as his launch angle because he always hit line drives not slap as had been described.
    My point. Clearly he has skill and strength beyond what his stature would suggest. Some people thought it would be a good
    idea for him to slap it on the ground. Might as well have Picasso painting houses.