Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Albies needs to stop hitting so many fly balls

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Came in here hoping that with the SSS there would at least be some encouraging signs for exit velocity this year, and nope. Hard to disagree with Enscheff here. The regression will be a bitch.

Also, happened upon Ohtani's numbers and he's 10th in average exit velocity this year. Super impressive.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mqt View Post
    Came in here hoping that with the SSS there would at least be some encouraging signs for exit velocity this year, and nope. Hard to disagree with Enscheff here. The regression will be a bitch.

Also, happened upon Ohtani's numbers and he's 10th in average exit velocity this year. Super impressive.
    He's been as advertised so far. Dude has a chance to be a monster.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Not sure what you're saying here.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    I mean the only actual HR that can be discussed as somewhat lucky with Albies was the first one I think. The rest of them, he pretty well tagged them. He also had one he just missed vs the Phillies.

The issue might be he's hitting a lot of typical fly balls with him trying to jack a lot, which is hurting exit velo.

His first AB tonight was the worst I've seen him look in a while against anything that isn't away/high compared to him, FWIW.

Edit: FB% is up a tick, but the good thing for him is his LD% is up.

Edit2: There's one of those typical fly ball easy outs lmao.
    Last edited by GeorgiaGirl; 04-21-2018 at 07:04 PM.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GovClintonTyree View Post
    Not sure what you're saying here.
    I was hoping for a significant shift in his batted ball profile, and there's no change in exit velocity. Thought that there might be some good data given his HR spike, but even with his small sample size having 6 HRs in it, he's hitting the ball roughly the same as he did when Enscheff posted this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    I was hoping for a significant shift in his batted ball profile, and there's no change in exit velocity. Thought that there might be some good data given his HR spike, but even with his small sample size having 6 HRs in it, he's hitting the ball roughly the same as he did when Enscheff posted this.
    Yeah, I don't think 90 is bad exit velo. Not that many guys averaging 95.

Also, his launch angle is uniquely high. Still. Which was the post I made last year when I noticed it and when Enscheff began his campaign for him to hit the ball on the ground.

I think you're right, he'll regress some, I just don't think it will be a tragic amount.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Yeah, I don't think 90 is bad exit velo. Not that many guys averaging 95.

Also, his launch angle is uniquely high. Still. Which was the post I made last year when I noticed it and when Enscheff began his campaign for him to hit the ball on the ground.

I think you're right, he'll regress some, I just don't think it will be a tragic amount.
    That's just on his HR/FBs, where he's currently ranked 158th. He's outside the top 200 overall so far. I'm just not convinced anything has changed since Enscheff's original post.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    There's good reason why I no longer thing Albies is a .300+ hitter outside of peak years and its what's discussed here, since he seems very bent on joining the fly ball era, but I do think he's about a .280ish bat. Honestly I do think I'd rather the .300+ hitter with a lot of doubles/triples and 15-18 HR than the other way though.

Either way we're talking about a valuable young player, but it's interesting to discuss.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    BTW, your "launch angles between 5 and 20 percent comment" might be one of the stupidest things you've ever said. Might as well say, "somewhere between Dee Gordon and Kris Bryant,"
    That’s not what that means at all. Keep derping along though.

All this will be bumped and quoted when his FB rate normalizes. You’ll be wrong once again, and hopefully silent for a while once again.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    That's just on his HR/FBs, where he's currently ranked 158th. He's outside the top 200 overall so far. I'm just not convinced anything has changed since Enscheff's original post.
    Nothing has changed. Gov is just misunderstanding the data that was presented, as usual.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Interesting thread from last August (other than the usual personal crap). I was thinking about this the other day. I don't know if "misguided" is the right word, but given the additional two months of results we have to consider, a lot of this thread looks...premature. And, probably we should take more than three weeks to decide guys are finished products.
    It's been a few days since this enlightening post was made.

Since then, Albies HR rate has regressed down to 18.6%, and his SLG has regressed from almost .700 to .579. The regression isn't over.

Gov argued about this when I first posted this thread, then magically reappeared to bump it when Albies started the season on an unsustainable HR streak.

Now Gov is gone as Albies regresses exactly as predicted. Weird.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It's been a few days since this enlightening post was made.

Since then, Albies HR rate has regressed down to 18.6%, and his SLG has regressed from almost .700 to .579. The regression isn't over.

Gov argued about this when I first posted this thread, then magically reappeared to bump it when Albies started the season on an unsustainable HR streak.

Now Gov is gone as Albies regresses exactly as predicted. Weird.
    Wow. Albies' SLG went from .700 to .570. Who could have seen that coming? Only an analytical genius.

I don't want to do any name calling, since you have the sheer audacity to whine to the site master when somebody calls you on your bull****.

So I'll just say this: some of your mannerisms are those of an asshole.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Wow. Albies' SLG went from .700 to .570. Who could have seen that coming? Only an analytical genius.

I don't want to do any name calling, since you have the sheer audacity to whine to the site master when somebody calls you on your bull****.

So I'll just say this: some of your mannerisms are those of an asshole.
    I'll keep you updated on his regression. You still won't grasp the content I posted though.

Bye bye for now.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Eh...Ozzie had inconsistent spurts in the minors. The good thing is that he always found his groove. I don't need him to hit 30 HR'S, I'm fine with 15 if he's hitting line drives. He can run into an extra five if he gains that consistency. I'm still captain of the Ozzie club. Now...this Acuña fella....is anyone on that bandwagon?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Eh...Ozzie had inconsistent spurts in the minors. The good thing is that he always found his groove. I don't need him to hit 30 HR'S, I'm fine with 15 if he's hitting line drives. He can run into an extra five if he gains that consistency. I'm still captain of the Ozzie club. Now...this Acuña fella....is anyone on that bandwagon?
    Not talking good or bad, but he's starting to make me wonder if what I heard Nats announcers say with what Michael Taylor said about a leg kick is true (about how leg kickers can get out of whack too easily at the plate).

As we're not just talking about not hitting HRs here...he's not hitting at all lately and hasn't looked right since his mental error/error game vs the Mets. He was never hitting 40+ HR lol, but with him it absolutely is NOT like 2017 Inciarte, he was going to balance out and end up at 20-25ish.

Maybe part of the reason he's not hitting at all is based on him elevating way too much (like early in his call-up last year and a bit this year too) but still, it's likely based on what we've seen he's just going to start hitting again shortly. It will be a tiny bit worrisome though if he doesn't get going against his strong side (lefty today is probably why he wasn't benched).

16. The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgiaGirl For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (04-26-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    Not talking good or bad, but he's starting to make me wonder if what I heard Nats announcers say with what Michael Taylor said about a leg kick is true (about how leg kickers can get out of whack too easily at the plate).

As we're not just talking about not hitting HRs here...he's not hitting at all lately and hasn't looked right since his mental error/error game vs the Mets. He was never hitting 40+ HR lol, but with him it absolutely is NOT like 2017 Inciarte, he was going to balance out and end up at 20-25ish.

Maybe part of the reason he's not hitting at all is based on him elevating way too much (like early in his call-up last year and a bit this year too) but still, it's likely based on what we've seen he's just going to start hitting again shortly. It will be a tiny bit worrisome though if he doesn't get going against his strong side (lefty today is probably why he wasn't benched).
    Pretty good thought. Funny because his leg kick was more pronounced when he came up last year and started hitting so many fly balls. When he toned it down last year he was back to being an extra base hit machine who drove the ball when he got HIS pitch. Here's hoping he'll gain that consistency.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Deester11 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I'll keep you updated on his regression. You still won't grasp the content I posted though.

Bye bye for now.
    Blow me.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

Garmel (04-25-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post

It stands to reason that it could make him more volatile, because it's one more moving part. OTOH, guys who do it love it as a timing device and sometimes it makes a yuge difference. Look at Tyler Flowers.
    Last edited by GovClintonTyree; 04-25-2018 at 06:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Heh. Maybe.

Oz is a little more erratic than we'd all like, but he's pretty new at this. Probably need to give him a little time, see if it's really an issue. He wasn't going to SLG .700.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Ozzie needs to hit the ball on the ground. Those fly balls are expensive to MLB when they keep going in the stands.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to jimsnores For This Useful Post: