Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Confederate Monuments

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I would encourage everyone who has followed this issue to read the American Historical Association's ststement on Confederate monuments. I think it strikes an appropriate historical balance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I really can't think of a reason to be upset about a theater deciding not to show a movie. They aren't showing the movies free on the town square or anything. If you don't like their decision, don't spend your money there. The recent outrage over the Dixie Stampede and Stone Mountain falls in the same category, if you don't like it, don't spend your money to support it.

It amuses me that "conservatives" are having a hard time differentiating between government and private entities.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    What would be cool is having Tubman, Du Bois, Carver, Douglas statues next to Lee and other Confeds to show the nation what we blacks went through and fought for.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AerchAngel For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (09-05-2017), cajunrevenge (10-01-2017), Jaw (08-30-2017), Managuarantano's Volunteers (04-21-2018), Oklahomahawk (12-21-2017), Tapate50 (09-05-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    What would be cool is having Tubman, Du Bois, Carver, Douglas statues next to Lee and other Confeds to show the nation what we blacks went through and fought for.
    I completely agree. Append, don't delete.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I completely agree. Append, don't delete.
    So your solution is to spend more money and space in public places to add to these things rather than reduce cheap confederate monuments. I could get it if you were talking about a finely crafted granite or marble statues. But the majority of these monuments are made of zinc.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Zito you're cracking me up today.

Yes, I think these communities should ask for donations to memorialize some of the greatest contributors to Civil Rights in the history of this nation. I don't expect that any public money would need to be used, and I don't expect that anyone would complain about the use of public space.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (08-30-2017), BedellBrave (09-05-2017), Managuarantano's Volunteers (04-21-2018), Tapate50 (09-05-2017)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    Zito you're cracking me up today.

Yes, I think these communities should ask for donations to memorialize some of the greatest contributors to Civil Rights in the history of this nation. I don't expect that any public money would need to be used, and I don't expect that anyone would complain about the use of public space.
    I bet you that Republican (mostly churches) would give more money to this cause than the Dems as well.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,003 Posts
    The Charlottesville City Council meeting tonight is pretty illuminating. Live stream on cnn.com.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    While technically not a Confederate monument, Savannah City Council voted unanimously to rename the famous Talmadge Bridge (which connects Downtown Savannah over the river to South Carolina). No name has been decided yet.

Here's a good reason why it should be done.

Forever Fredi

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-01-2017), jpx7 (10-01-2017), Managuarantano's Volunteers (04-21-2018), Runnin (04-21-2018)

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...tatues/548990/

In a surprise move Wednesday evening, Memphis’s city council voted to sell the two parks to a new private nonprofit corporation that will run them, on condition that they keep the parks public. Mayor Jim Strickland signed a contract with the nonprofit, Memphis Greenspace, on Friday, and the council ratified it. Soon afterward, Greenspace, which was incorporated in October, began removing the statues, with celebratory crowds gathering to watch, singing, “Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye.” The statues have been removed to a place nobody can find, according to the city’s chief legal officer.

[...]

The distance between righteous civil disobedience and risky breakdown of rule of law is not as wide as it might seem, however, and it’s easy to imagine ways in which such a procedure could be abused. What if local authorities defied state or federal authorities to erect a pro-Confederate statue? That’s not so far-fetched: After the Supreme Court’s Brown v. Board of Education ruling, state and local authorities thumbed their nose at the federal government by privatizing public functions. Rather than allow black students, public schools closed, with private “segregation academies” opening to teach white students. (Many of these schools remain open.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    True, and I'd say he nails the solution in the very next graf:

"Ideally, Memphis’s action will provide a warning to state governments that continue to defend Confederate monuments. Preemptive laws represent an effort to thwart local decisionmaking about what sort of heritage a community honors."

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    True, and I'd say he nails the solution in the very next graf:

"Ideally, Memphis’s action will provide a warning to state governments that continue to defend Confederate monuments. Preemptive laws represent an effort to thwart local decisionmaking about what sort of heritage a community honors."
    Memphis is getting fined $250,000 by the State of Tennessee for finding a workaround. I guess it's time to fine all members of Congress for finding workarounds to pass the laws they want, Democrats and Republicans (mostly Republicans right now since they have more power).

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...tatues-n866961
    AKA International Bonus Pool Slot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    It's also a distressing reminder that even in places like NC and Tennessee, where there were strong Loyalist movements and decided ambivelence about secession, contemporary state-level leaders are intent on perpetuating an ahistorical myth in the name of history and heritage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Southern Poverty Law Center
    ‏Verified account @splcenter
    41m41 minutes ago

Today in Alabama, state offices are closed. Today is Confederate Memorial Day.

This is one of three state holidays in AL that honor white supremacy. We are standing with

@faithinactional to call for an end of these days honoring the confederacy.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

Brett Rowh
    ‏ @browh32
    Apr 23

It's confederate memorial day in Alabama. So here's a pic of Lee surrending,

just to remind you the racist traitors to America got their asses handed to them.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post

Brett Rowh
    ‏ @browh32
    Apr 23

just to remind you the racist traitors to America got their asses handed to them.
    Hilarious. 57 you know who Lincoln’s first pick to run the Union army was?

So being for states rights (which we still argue for today) is the same as being pro-slavery?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post

Brett Rowh
    ‏ @browh32
    Apr 23

I don't know who Brett Rowh is, but he can officially blow me...he might also want to check how "beyond nervous" Lincoln was the actual day of the vote in Congress on the 13th amendment. Remember Congress was full of ONLY northerners and totally void of all the Confederate states and their reps and Senators. Racism is a human thing, not a southern thing. Also ask him where every single one of the major race riots of the 20th century took place, north or south.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Oh you sweet summer child. By absorbing the confederate states and giving them back full voting rights it was at best a draw. As soon as the union army left the South just passed ever increasingly disguised laws designed to criminalize black people. Not only that but the South was able to affect federal laws that allows them to pass racist laws in the whole country. Convict leading was first started after the influx of prisoners because of the Jim Crow laws. Ironically selling black people back to prison plantations for crimes like being unemployed. Today largest reason for makes black incarceration nationwide is marijuana possession that originates in the 1930's for clearly racist reasons. I even posted a video of a Republican state elected official saying we can't legalize pot because it makes the blacks go wild. The AG of the country, his dad, and his grandpa were named after Jefferson Davis. His middle name is named after a confederate general..... He champions the policy that is vastly unpopular and which just so happens to be the number one cause of black incarceration. You know who the President is. The old saying goes, if you can't beat em, join em. The North just injected the virus and the result is what we have now. So did the North really win? Might have been for the best to keep them split.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post

So being for states rights (which we still argue for today) is the same as being pro-slavery?
    In the latter half of the 19th century? Abso-frigging-lutely.

All of those Southern West Pointers had a choice. Some of them chose to honor their vows to their country, even at the risk of personal dispossession. They should be the ones with a particular holiday in their honor. The fact that some states still choose to have a holiday in honor of traitors-- traitors in the name of slavery, no less--is a damned shame.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post

Always a fun argument, considering they were specifically concerned with states' rights to allowing slavery.