Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I said it was an interesting read.
    Judging by the number of posts you've given it
    you did too.

No more or less
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    I said it was an interesting read.
    Judging by the number of posts you've given it
    you did too.

No more or less
    I do enjoy hate watching bad movies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Mystery science theater 3000 effect

I didn’t waste time on reading that drivel.

I’m halfway shocked someone did.
    Ivermectin Man

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I do enjoy hate watching bad movies.
    I watched Chaos recently

It’s so bad while actually have big names in it. Give it a view lol
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Just a reminder

Fück all confederate monuments

rip them down

They don’t belong in any public space
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Monuments have a tendency to age poorly. Lincoln was a racist and suspended habeus corpus. Washington and Jefferson owned slaves. Sherman was a war criminal for what he did with the mill women. All these people have monuments on the National Mall.

I maintain we should start replacing monuments to these people with monuments to people like Mr Rogers or Bob Ross.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

57Brave (10-10-2021)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Lowell George - Nina Simone- Henry Aaron -Levon Helm
    Thelonious Monk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    No more military or political statues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    I'm cool with that. If you want to memorize a war (eg Vietnam Memorial) that's fine. But individuals are often undeserving.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Darryl Dawkins the poet

" chocolate thunder flyin
    Robenzine cryin "
    Xxxxxxxxxx

Neil Cassady

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Alexander Graham Bell
    Steve Jobs

Paul Brown
    Steel Curtain

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    I’m sure you believe that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    By Garry Kasparov
    Oct. 10, 2021 5:49 pm ET

Friends, Americans, citizens of the world, lend me your ears. I come to bury Christopher Columbus, not to praise him.

In Shakespeare’s famous Marc Antony speech, he speaks of Julius Caesar’s “grievous fault” of ambition, and of the honorable nature of Caesar’s friend and assassin, Brutus. Antony then subverts the accusations against Caesar, skillfully and sarcastically reminding the gathered crowd of Caesar’s achievements and love of the Roman people—and how they all used to love him in return.

I doubt my abilities will be so convincing on behalf of Columbus, who achieved great things and is worthy of being honored for them with a national holiday, but I must express what I know to be true. His incredible feats of exploration were due to individual qualities that Americans should find admirable, and once did in near unanimity. Holding historical figures to modern standards of morality is a method of antihistorical political control—much like the pseudohistory I grew up being taught in the Soviet Union.

My earliest memories of my father are not of chess, but of his gift to me of a globe and our reading the stories of the great explorers together—stories by authors like Stefan Zweig, not communist propagandists. So I was prepared to be critical when the Soviet history books portrayed these men as callow imperialists who exploited the natives the way their capitalist descendants exploited the proletariat. This also prepared me to hear the same tropes repeated by Western leftists today.

This caricature of Columbus as little more than a rapacious villain is as simplistic and wrongheaded as the version of him as a savior-hero who proved the world was round. As usual, reality is complex and doesn’t provide easy, comfortable answers.

It could be said that Columbus’s years of navigating the Spanish courts and courtiers was a greater feat than navigating the Atlantic, which hardly went as planned. He was driven but diplomatic, traits he employed in his dealings with indigenous communities of the Americas, where he and his men also committed atrocities in the name of holy conquest.

As I said, I’m not here to praise the man but to celebrate his deeds. Columbus taught himself Latin to study ancient and medieval manuscripts for clues about the circumference of the globe and his prospective journeys. True, his calculations were wildly off, overestimating the size of Asia and underestimating the size of the globe. But he also knew that he had to make the mission sound easier, like any startup seeking venture capital. Columbus yearned to fulfill the prophecy of Seneca’s Medea: “An age will come after many years when the Ocean will loose the chains of things, and a huge land lie revealed.” And so he did, in four remarkable voyages that charted and changed the world.

Revisionism has a vital role in history, as we discover new information and apply new insights to past events. There should be no place for whitewashing and jingoism in the service of a supposedly patriotic agenda—or any agenda. We must teach the good and the bad of our leaders, our founders, our heroes and saints.

Otherwise, myths take hold too easily, such as the Confederate “Lost Cause,” left to fester like an open wound. Its infection has spread into the 21st century. There should be no honoring those who fought a war against the Union to preserve the evil institution of slavery—which, critically, even some of its defenders at the time understood as evil.

Comparing American statues of Columbus to those of Robert E. Lee fails this test of context. The call for objectivity applies also to those who would judge a 15th-century European who took outrageous risks and performed incredible feats of exploration to advance modern civilization. Humanism and the Enlightenment were still two centuries away. The year of Columbus’s iconic voyage, 1492, was also the year Spain expelled many Jews and subjected others to the horrors of the Inquisition.

The line of ambitious explorers runs through Columbus to the likes of Elon Musk. Their accomplishments should not blind us to their flaws, but neither should their flaws blind us to their achievements. Honoring great deeds and risk-takers who defy conventional wisdom can inspire others to follow in their footsteps, be it into uncharted waters or outer space, and we sorely need such daring today.

We too, are complex. We are capable of judgment and reason, unlike the “brutish beasts” invoked by Marc Antony. History is not a zero-sum game. We can honor indigenous people and all they represent—and all they lost—without erasing the greatest achievements of the Age of Discovery. I will be celebrating Columbus Day, and I hope you’ll join me.

Mr. Kasparov is chairman of the Renew Democracy Initiative and the Human Rights Foundation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Columbus was a pretty terrible guy. I have no problem celebrating the even of western "discovery" of America. It was a major world event and has shaped every facet of life in the US today. But Columbus is a good example of why celebrating events over people is usually a good idea in history.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Several Black students at the Coosa High School in Rome, Georgia say they've been suspended simply for planning a protest against the Confederate flag.

Local news station CBS 46 reports that many students at the school were upset last week when a group of white students came to school brandishing the Confederate flag while hurling racial slurs.

However, the school quickly jumped in to clamp down on a potential protest against the flag and suspended the students who organized it.

A recording obtained by CBS 46 reveals a high school administrator announced that the protest would not be allowed over the intercom system last week.

"The administration is aware of tomorrow's planned protest," the administrator said. "Police will be present here at school and if students insist on encouraging this kind of activity they will be disciplined for encouraging unrest."

"I feel the confederate flag should not be flown at all. It is a racist symbol and it makes me feel disrespected," she said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Surely the time has arrived for an Eddie Rosario statue.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Surely the time has arrived for an Eddie Rosario statue.
    bump
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    A massive statue of the First Grand Wizard of the KKK and Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest is finally removed from its installation beside I-65 near Nashville.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    A massive statue of the First Grand Wizard of the KKK and Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest is finally removed from its installation beside I-65 near Nashville.
    Awesome. That will solve all of the countries problems

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Awesome. That will solve all of the countries problems
    It solved the problem of having that particular statue. Something tells me the time/resources spent taking care of this particular problem would not been sufficient to solve the world’s other problems.