Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts

MoviePass

I'm sure y'all have heard of this by now. It's been out for a few years but their new pricing model is insane. $10.00 a month and you can watch one movie at the theater per day. AMC is the only theater not accepting it. All my theaters accept it in town (AMC/Carmike isn't American owned anymore so wouldn't spend my money there anyways).

The process is simple. They send you a MasterCard and you take it wherever the theater you're got to. On your phone app you check in and the app will load the card and the cashier will ring it up. Nothing to it.

For those concerned this is same guy that ran Redbox and helped start up Netflix.

https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/moviepa...interview-amc/

im sure this will be great for 50 and Mrs.50 seeing as how you see 3-4 movies a weekend it seems like. I'm someone that would go see more movies if my budget allowed it. This would pay for itself after the second time viewing with ticket price inflation.
    Forever Fredi

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Acuña’s Bat Flip (07-19-2018), Dalyn (08-17-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    I'm sure y'all have heard of this by now. It's been out for a few years but their new pricing model is insane. $10.00 a month and you can watch one movie at the theater per day. AMC is the only theater not accepting it. All my theaters accept it in town (AMC/Carmike isn't American owned anymore so wouldn't spend my money there anyways).

The process is simple. They send you a MasterCard and you take it wherever the theater you're got to. On your phone app you check in and the app will load the card and the cashier will ring it up. Nothing to it.

For those concerned this is same guy that ran Redbox and helped start up Netflix.

https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/moviepa...interview-amc/

im sure this will be great for 50 and Mrs.50 seeing as how you see 3-4 movies a weekend it seems like. I'm someone that would go see more movies if my budget allowed it. This would pay for itself after the second time viewing with ticket price inflation.
    Unfortunately, we only have an AMC in the neighborhood, but I will check it out.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I looked at this but literally it doesn't work where I live. If you're Rural you have little shot.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    You sure AMC isnt accepting it? Every theatre in columbia SC is accepting it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I think every theater who takes debit accepts it because you get a debit card. I think AMC didn't accept it before. But for me it doesn't make sense have to drive 20 miles to the nearest theater to use it. NO way do I really make it worth the 10 bucks a month.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-13-2017)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Unfortunately, we only have an AMC in the neighborhood, but I will check it out.
    Did you end up looking into it?

I was one of the unlucky ones that signed up the first day but got the processing order screwed up. I referred my cousin to it a week and a half after I signed up and he got his a few weeks later and I finally got mine yesterday. So far I've been to two movies in two days. Glad I caught Wind River since today is the last day it's playing in my area ( fantastic btw. Taylor Sheridan does it again after writing Sicario, and doing Hell or High Water and now this). I went and watched Blade Runner 2049 again (saw it last week). It gets better and better each time. Today I'm deciding if I should see The Foreigner or go see Blade Runner for 3rd time.
    Forever Fredi

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Did you end up looking into it?

I was one of the unlucky ones that signed up the first day but got the processing order screwed up. I referred my cousin to it a week and a half after I signed up and he got his a few weeks later and I finally got mine yesterday. So far I've been to two movies in two days. Glad I caught Wind River since today is the last day it's playing in my area ( fantastic btw. Taylor Sheridan does it again after writing Sicario, and doing Hell or High Water and now this). I went and watched Blade Runner 2049 again (saw it last week). It gets better and better each time. Today I'm deciding if I should see The Foreigner or go see Blade Runner for 3rd time.

Are there any types of security protocols to prevent you and a friend from sharing the same movie pass?

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Are there any types of security protocols to prevent you and a friend from sharing the same movie pass?
    Whoever has the account logged into the app.

You need app on your phone. When you’re at the theater you have to check in and reserve a ticket and it will load
    money onto the card. The only way it works. So you and your friend have to physically be there. But it’s only one ticket per calendar day.
    Forever Fredi

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Sounds like moviepass is on its last legs.

Helios & Matheson said in a filing Tuesday that it had just $15.5 million in cash at the end of April, and the firm has been going through about $21.7 million a month. It also has $27.9 million on deposit with merchant processors.

The revelation sent shares of the technology company down 32 percent -- and sparked fresh concern about whether its MoviePass business can survive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    MoviePass needs a huge cash stockpile to succeed. It's got a **** ton of long term success in it's data mining. It just needs to find the medium ground interms of cost spent and data sold.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    AMC A list.

$19.99 a month. You can see three movies a week in any format (imax, Dolby etc), you can watch the same movie more than once and you don’t have to wait 24 hours between viewings.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    AMC A list.

$19.99 a month. You can see three movies a week in any format (imax, Dolby etc), you can watch the same movie more than once and you don’t have to wait 24 hours between viewings.
    Feels like this model is much more sustainable than MoviePass. If MP ultimately goes away, I’m at least glad the concept of a subscription based service model will hang around.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Feels like this model is much more sustainable than MoviePass. If MP ultimately goes away, I’m at least glad the concept of a subscription based service model will hang around.
    Eh. AMC has downplayed MoviePass for months. They refused to work with them at all.

AMC is a terrible company. I have no doubts they're just trying to run MP out, then get rid of the service.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts