Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Late season pitching adds the Braves should do if they can

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I think it's almost a certainty they will add a controllable SP this offseason, either via trade or FA.

I can't be too against it, but I would rather see Dickey cut loose if they decide to upgrade the rotation by dumping even more resources into it.
    I'm good with keeping Dickey. He got off to a poor start but has been pitching well for about three months now. If we are out of it at the deadline next year he can be flipped a la Jaime Garcia. He's also had 8 straight years with a BABIP against below .280, which I think think makes him undervalued by both WAR measures.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 08-18-2017 at 01:25 PM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I find it highly unlikely the Giants will be looking to shed payroll.
    They may not but they should if they can. With their financial capability and with the FA class of 2019 coming up, they may be able to turn things around quickly IF they can create the space.

I'm looking at teams who look like they need to rebuild and thinking about how to best take advantage of their divestments. Teams like SF, Toronto, Baltimore, Detroit, Seattle all have variable degree of need for a rebuild IMO.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I would bring in someone like Alex Cobb or Lance Lynn on a three year deal.

Rotation at the start of 2018 would be: Dickey, Folty, Teheran, Newcomb, Cobb

At some point in 2018 bring up guys like Gohara, Soroka, Allard and Wright. I think two of them will have earned a spot in the rotation by the start of 2019.

So the 2019 rotation might look like this: Gohara, Soroka, Cobb, and two of Folty, Teheran and Newcomb.

If things go well (fingers crossed) we can trade one of Folty, Teheran or Newcomb for a third baseman. If things go well. By that I mean all three of Folty, Teheran and Newcomb do well in 2018 and stay healthy. It is a big if. But I don't think we can trade Teheran this off-season. We have to give him a chance to re-establish value in 2018. We should hold on to Folty and see if he can take another step forward. Ditto for giving Newcomb a long look.

I think trading multiple top prospects for Archer or Fulmer would be a mistake. We have to stick to the plan of developing our own top shelf starting pitchers. It takes patience, but it is the course that gives us the best chance for sustainable success.
    I think your scenario fits with a true rebuild. If you go into 2018 with the rotation you listed you are almost declaring that 2018 will not be a competitive year. I was OK with that if they would have selected that path and stuck to it. They didn't. They seem bent on "competing" as fast as possible. If they truly want to do that, I can't see how they go into 2018 with the rotation you outlined.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I think your scenario fits with a true rebuild. If you go into 2018 with the rotation you listed you are almost declaring that 2018 will not be a competitive year. I was OK with that if they would have selected that path and stuck to it. They didn't. They seem bent on "competing" as fast as possible. If they truly want to do that, I can't see how they go into 2018 with the rotation you outlined.
    "Competing" can encompass a pretty wide range along the expected win curve. It would be a mistake if the FO went all in in 2018 like the Diamondbacks did last year. But I think they can make some moves to nudge the team into the 80-85 win range without taking excessive risks or jeopardizing the chances of having a long window of contention.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."