Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    And when you find the first person that ever predicted those results for Alex that isn't a direct relative - Mom, Dad, brother, sister, or wife - you can pat yourself on the back. Nobody wanted to include him if they could have avoided it, but they had to. At the end of the day, the Olivera deal turned out to be Wood for Wentz - we traded other pieces (Johnson , Avilan, and Peraza) for Olivera, and then spun Olivera into Kemp. The Olivera/Kemp money winds up being a relative push since the Dodgers paid his $28 million signing bonus.

Was Wood for Wentz a mistake? Quite possibly, but I wouldn't call it a dismissable offense given Alex has NEVER been remotely this good and we're nowhere close to knowing what Wentz is. A mistake, maybe, but calling it a "major" one is getting the cart ahead of the horse a little bit.
    Posts like this is why you have a reputation for thinking the FO is infallible.

Wood was a 2-3 WAR pitcher when he was traded. He was young. He was a lefty. The pither we traded (not the ace he is now), would be the best pitcher on our staff by a healthy margin.

Why aren't we close to competing? Because we don't have any pitching.

We traded a YOUNG, CHEAP, LEFTY for a 30 year old injury prone player without a single at bat during a rebuild. That is catastrophically stupid.

Oh, and to say that Kemp and Olivera money wash out is simply not true. I believe we are paying Kemp $11M a year is my memory serves, even when you factor in the Olivera money.
    Last edited by sturg33; 08-21-2017 at 03:49 PM.