Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Front Office Decisions

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts

Front Office Decisions

You know Wren, FG, and JS have to be talking about this team in their meetings and having similar discussions as we have here. Everyone looks at this team and see what our weaknesses are. Offensively we are without a leadoff hitter and have too many key offensive player underperforming. Injuries have hurt the pen and although the SP has been good they still lack a true ace. They have to hope Beachy can come back and fill that void because trading for a starter isn't an option.

I think we can fix the leadoff hitter internally but some hard decisions are going to have to be made with BJ. Do you bench him in favor of Schafer and admit you made a mistake? We know Fredi isn't opposed to doing that, he even hinted at sending BJ to the minors earlier in the year. We also know how he handled Uggla last year. Hopefully for the good of the team they put him on the bench and make Schafer the everyday CF'er when he comes off the DL. I think it would do wonders for this offense.

I'm sure they'll get an arm for the pen so I'm not as worried about that. This team will go as far as the offense takes them. They aren't going to be able to win in the playoffs by sitting back and waiting for the 3 run homer. They are going to have to manufacture some runs and play small ball.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    I think Fredi was giving Schafer at lot of PT before he got hurt actually. I did work out that we were in KC and he played both games in the field due to the DH of course.

I can see more of a platoon for BJ and Schafer for the rest of the year. (On a side note I don't see Reed or Schafer being traded for this very reason)

I hope we don't just give up on BJ. Its not unheard of for a guy coming for the the other league to have trouble his first year.

I kinda hope Wren does something unexpected at the deadline. But what that is I wouldn't know. My best guess would be trade for a good starting pitcher.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,013 Posts
    Maybe we could trade our manager...

In all seriousness, I would love to see us get a bonafide ace. That's much easier said than done.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    I have been clamoring for Schafer since day one. When he plays he is a spark at the top of the lineup and almost always gives the team a tough at bat. I agree with Matt that our lead off hitter is already on the roster. I don't expect Wren to make any rash decisions regarding the lineup because the talent is there and they just need to collectively start hitting more consistent. I think we explore options for relief help and I hope that answer comes from the Twins in the form of Glenn Perkins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesnumberone View Post
    Maybe we could trade our manager...
    And what makes you think the next manager would be better other than the grass always being greener on the other side?

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,013 Posts
    Note I said "in all seriousness." I don't bow down to Fredi like some on here do, but he's far down the list of biggest concerns. He's a concern but axing him isn't going to fix our problems.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    And what makes you think the next manager would be better other than the grass always being greener on the other side?
    Last edited by bravesnumberone; 07-07-2013 at 06:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    561 Posts
    Yes it will. He's an idiot. Theres no telling how many games we would have won if he had switched to Schafer much sooner rather than let that whinny little b*tch Upton keeping attempting to blow ass. Also, how many games we would have won if it werent for his COUNTLESS stupid managerial decisions during games. Also, no telling how many we would have won if it weren't for that ridiculous line up construction of his.

We will never win a world series or even a playoff series with this guy at the helms. Why can't people see that?!?!?

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    So when do you know he makes a good managerial decision vs a bad one?

Last night for example.

Chris is batting. Runners at 1st and 3rd with 1 out. It was not a full count but he sent the runner from 1st. Chris hit a grounder to 2b but since the runner was going it wasn't a double play and the run scored.

That was a great decision on sending the runner IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    I'd rather not have this thread turn into a discussion on our manager. Everyone has an opinion on him and nobody is going to change their mind. He's not going to be fired anytime soon. You don't fire managers that win as much as he does.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    I doubt we bench BJ. Nor should we, IMO. You have to let players play through their slumps. As frustrating as Uggla and BJ have been, it's pretty much guaranteed that they are going to turn it on eventually. In Uggla's case, he already has started turning it around. BJ won't hit under .200 all season. He'l get hot just like Uggla did back 2011 and we'll be praising his name again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    I'll never praise him, you know how some players are on your hate list? Well he's on mine and always has been. If he hustled I'd like him better. As much as Uggla frustrates me I never question his effort.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    As far as, what we will trade for, I think we'll be pretty low key at the deadline. Probably acquiring a player like Conor Gillaspie or Jeff Keppenger from Chi-town. And I'm pretty certain we'll acquire a reliever or 2.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,800 Posts
    I think pitching is going to be the priority at the deadline. I don't know if the Braves are going to seek a starter. Bullpen I'm just about certain they will. I have a feeling a big run at Crain will be coming for the Braves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Yeah, I too have been thinking the Braves might make a play for an ace, but at the same time I wonder if they want to wait and see what Beachy can give them. I don't see them making a play for offense. I think they pretty much have what they have and will stick with it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    I don't see the "need" to acquire an ace. Our pitching has been off the last week or so, but we still have a great staff. Four pitchers with an ERA under 4.00 and Hudson was a 4.22 ERA. nd even Hudson has looked much better recently with a 2.29 ERA since June 1.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Crain got DL'd with a shoulder injury. That may take him out of play.

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    I just read where he (cain) will start his rehab this week so he should be back before the deadline.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Some of you just haven't gotten over Coxitis. Freddi is fine as manager. Excution is much more the problem. Thats on the players. That and the fact the rotation is full of number 3s and 4s. Medlen is overrated, Hudson is old, Maholm is a great number 4 and JT and Minor are still wet behind the ears. Should have sold high on Meds.
    Last edited by VirginiaBrave; 07-07-2013 at 10:10 PM.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skidlee View Post
    I just read where he (cain) will start his rehab this week so he should be back before the deadline.
    Yeah, I just wondered if a shoulder injury would either scare off trade partners or else make it so the Sox didn't get enough offered to make dealing him worthwhile.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaBrave View Post
    Some of you just haven't gotten over Coxitis. Freddi is fine as manager. Excution is much more the problem. Thats on the players. That and the fact the rotation is full of number 3s and 4s. Medlen is overrated, Hudson is old, Maholm is a great number 4 and JT and Minor are still wet behind the ears. Should have sold high on Meds.
    Coming into today, Medlen had a 3.11 ERA and the lowest ERA on the staff. But b/c he got lit up today he's overrated?