Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 8/26... Rockies game 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    Nah. Snit thought it was the 8th inning. He'll now throw Ramirez out there a second inning.
    Or JJ

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    Albies is a completely different situation from Swanson though, there was no credible reason for Albies to be in AAA at the start of next season (outside of just trying to save money). Albies would have spent an entire season and a half at AAA by that point, so he was always going to be starting the season as the starting 2B unless traded. So his control time being used right now really means nothing (unless he somehow sucks next year and gets sent back to AAA).
    We can discuss money, but at least with Albies he had proven himself in AAA with his figure it out stretch that started in May and really picked up ground after coming off the DL. With Swanson there was no good reason at all for him to skip AAA or even leave AA outside of "appease the fans".
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Promoting Albies was slightly less dumb than promoting Swanson, so we agree there.

Like I say every time this topic comes up, we will see how happy folks are 5 years from now when both Albies and Swanson each cost $10M-$15M more apiece, or are lost altogether via FA.

We will see just how much bitching and moaning folks do when they realize a team with a $150M payroll can't afford to make the additions needed to improve a contending team.

We will see if the same people defending these moves now still think it was worth it when the Braves lose these guys a year early, or have to skimp in other areas of the roster to afford to keep them.
    I definetely understand your argument, but jeez... you're pre-melting over 5 years from now? With that level of worry, you may not make it 5 more years. Chill, it'll be ok

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I definetely understand your argument, but jeez... you're pre-melting over 5 years from now? With that level of worry, you may not make it 5 more years. Chill, it'll be ok
    The fact this FO isn't concerned with 5 years from now should be concerning to all Bravea fans, pozzy or intelli.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    The fact this FO isn't concerned with 5 years from now should be concerning to all Bravea fans, pozzy or intelli.
    I have concerns with this FO too. Hopefully they know what they're doing

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    I agree with this. I just really only agree that Swanson was the one mishandled, not Albies. I still hold out hope they wait a few weeks of next year for Acuna. If we mishandle the clock of just one of those three it will be way less detrimental.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,321 Posts
    That's a break.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    826 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    That's a break.
    Rockies announcers not thrilled with it to say the least.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Promoting Albies was slightly less dumb than promoting Swanson, so we agree there.

Like I say every time this topic comes up, we will see how happy folks are 5 years from now when both Albies and Swanson each cost $10M-$15M more apiece, or are lost altogether via FA.
    As much as clv was being kinda crazy a while back when he claimed FA and players might not sign with the Braves because we kept players in the minors/sent them to AAA, there is a human aspect to the game that matters in that respect. If we kept Albies in AAA for a third year simply to save money when their was an opening at 2B, he is most likely going to get pissed, for good reason. And Albies is young enough (unlike Swanson) that he would be the type of player we want to see the Braves give the Julio/Simba type of extension to when we buy out his FA years. There is no reason to ruin a chance of that happening by doing something (keeping him down for a third season of AAA) there is no justification for outside of simply being cheap.

If Albies winds up signing away 2-3 years of FA for cheap it will be worth more/as much as the one extra season as a possible super two anyway, and wouldn't make the Braves look like douchebags.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    531 Posts
    Kemp should have a defensive replacement now that his at-bat in the 8th is over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    Kemp should have a defensive replacement now that his at-bat in the 8th is over.
    I agree. Get matt Adams out there haha

12. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (08-26-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    826 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I agree. Get matt Adams out there haha
    I'm thinking it might be time for you to take your dog for a walk.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    We can discuss money, but at least with Albies he had proven himself in AAA with his figure it out stretch that started in May and really picked up ground after coming off the DL. With Swanson there was no good reason at all for him to skip AAA or even leave AA outside of "appease the fans".
    Yep, exactly. Swanson wasn't performing great at AA at the time, there was zero justification for the move other than "the FO knows best and has access to things you don't". You weren't posting here at the time, but I was one of the people driving the bus on the Swanson callup being a mistake. Heck, Enscheff wasn't even all that worried about Swanson being called up at the time because he thought the player control rules would change with the CB agreement and make it not matter (and that argument actually made me take a wait and see attitude). Obviously nothing changed there with the CB, so all three of us and many others are justifiably annoyed with the Swanson situation.

I get annoyed with our FO when they do wacky stuff that seems dumb and isn't normal compared to what other good FO in baseball would do. The Swanson move was one of those times. Albies has played over all full in AAA, and was performing well in the last couple months before being called up, his callup is pretty normal and something pretty much all FO in baseball would do.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I think they feel they can sign early extensions with some guys (like Ender), and the ones that won't (like Heyward), they will trade.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    As much as clv was being kinda crazy a while back when he claimed FA and players might not sign with the Braves because we kept players in the minors/sent them to AAA, there is a human aspect to the game that matters in that respect. If we kept Albies in AAA for a third year simply to save money when their was an opening at 2B, he is most likely going to get pissed, for good reason. And Albies is young enough (unlike Swanson) that he would be the type of player we want to see the Braves give the Julio/Simba type of extension to when we buy out his FA years. There is no reason to ruin a chance of that happening by doing something (keeping him down for a third season of AAA) there is no justification for outside of simply being cheap.

If Albies winds up signing away 2-3 years of FA for cheap it will be worth more/as much as the one extra season as a possible super two anyway, and wouldn't make the Braves look like douchebags.
    This just isn't true. I've shown promoting Trout cost the Angels ~$12M in the season he would have been Arb4 as a super 2, and that was after signing him to a remarkably team friendly extension.

No matter how you slice it, every one of these early promotions is going to cost the Braves $10M+ during the year in question. And that's the best case scenario. The worst case scenario is they completely lose a year from that player.

All for what? Good will with the player? Some casual fan excitement in a lost season? Doesn't seem remotely worth it.

But hey, at least they aren't going to trade him for pitching. I guess that's good news.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Looking good, viz

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,321 Posts
    That'll probably do it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,049 Posts
    We gotta find ourselves a real closer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    That'll probably do it.
    At least the bottom of the order is coming up in the 9th. I have more confidence in those guys than the top right now

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Yep, exactly. Swanson wasn't performing great at AA at the time, there was zero justification for the move other than "the FO knows best and has access to things you don't". You weren't posting here at the time, but I was one of the people driving the bus on the Swanson callup being a mistake. Heck, Enscheff wasn't even all that worried about Swanson being called up at the time because he thought the player control rules would change with the CB agreement and make it not matter (and that argument actually made me take a wait and see attitude). Obviously nothing changed there with the CB, so all three of us and many others are justifiably annoyed with the Swanson situation.

I get annoyed with our FO when they do wacky stuff that seems dumb and isn't normal compared to what other good FO in baseball would do. The Swanson move was one of those times. Albies has played over all full in AAA, and was performing well in the last couple months before being called up, his callup is pretty normal and something pretty much all FO in baseball would do.
    You and I are and were on same page about both of them.

I don't think any organization manages every player to max service time.

I will say that I think both were guys that the Braves had decided were their starter the following season so they decided to look at them. Still made no sense to promote someone that hadn't mastered AA.

I think your man Markakis might be the reason Acuna might not be up till late April.

Unless they move him this offseason. Will be interesting to watch those moves.