Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 8/27 GDT: Colorado Rockies vs. Atlanta Braves

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    i don't get the "he made a big step today" comments from our announcers etc when it comes to Folty

he pitched fine, would love a lower pitch count etc to go farther in the game than 5

but he gave up a run. that's it. just seemed weird

the continued overreaction imo to everything he does it beyond silly at this point
    Agreed. I really thought Folty was going to get over the mental hurdles and become the Ace of this staff this season. Unfortunately, he hasn't made any real strides...still shows flashes of dominance and then backs it up with maddening inconsistency.

It's to the point now where it's likely time to realize he is a "stuff #4" and plan accordingly.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfly View Post
    i don't get the "he made a big step today" comments from our announcers etc when it comes to Folty

he pitched fine, would love a lower pitch count etc to go farther in the game than 5

but he gave up a run. that's it. just seemed weird

the continued overreaction imo to everything he does it beyond silly at this point
    I think all things considered he did well. The little bit I watched he was laboring and got out of what could have been a huge inning for the Rockies. He whined about a close pitch or two, but avoided a meltdown. Maybe that is what the announcers mean't?

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    I'm not sure why people complain about Chip&Joe.

They're paid to be homers. Part of their job is selling to the audience to keep watching. So it makes sense they're going to keep speaking in hyperbole of how great someone like Folty pitches. Fans like us expect Folty to progress, but we aren't the majority demographic watching the games on TV.

Our team isn't very good, but we still have a month to go for people to keep watching. They're not going to bash younger players (or even Jim Johnson) to turn people away and not give them any reason to watch. It's just like Opening Day 2015 when we clearly threw a rebuild roster out there. Chip and Joe were talking abuot how things looked different but it was exciting to see guys like Jace go out there and get experience. It's all part of the job fir them.
    Forever Fredi

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (08-28-2017), Hawk (08-28-2017), Tapate50 (08-28-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    I'm not sure why people complain about Chip&Joe.

They're paid to be homers. Part of their job is selling to the audience to keep watching. So it makes sense they're going to keep speaking in hyperbole of how great someone like Folty pitches. Fans like us expect Folty to progress, but we aren't the majority demographic watching the games on TV.

Our team isn't very good, but we still have a month to go for people to keep watching. They're not going to bash younger players (or even Jim Johnson) to turn people away and not give them any reason to watch. It's just like Opening Day 2015 when we clearly threw a rebuild roster out there. Chip and Joe were talking abuot how things looked different but it was exciting to see guys like Jace go out there and get experience. It's all part of the job fir them.
    It's the pox on the game as broadcast now. I have the mlb cable channel and listen to a variety of team coverage and every teams' announcers are now homers. One of the refreshing things about the old Skip, Ernie, Pete, and Sutton combos is that in the heyday of the Superstation, they were relatively balanced as they knew a lot of viewers who weren't tied to the Braves were watching the games. Skip especially went out of his way to laud opposing teams and players when they were good and provide unvarnished criticism of the Braves when they messed up.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-28-2017)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    It's worth noting that Chip and Steve Stone basically got canned for criticizing the home team in Chicago.

I don't mind their being homers, as long as it's reasonably tempered with realism--unlike, say, the Nats crew. I think Chip and Joe are turrible, but not because they're homers.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-28-2017), Tapate50 (08-28-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    It's worth noting that Chip and Steve Stone basically got canned for criticizing the home team in Chicago.

I don't mind their being homers, as long as it's reasonably tempered with realism--unlike, say, the Nats crew. I think Chip and Joe are turrible, but not because they're homers.
    Sums up my feelings too.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    It's the pox on the game as broadcast now. I have the mlb cable channel and listen to a variety of team coverage and every teams' announcers are now homers. One of the refreshing things about the old Skip, Ernie, Pete, and Sutton combos is that in the heyday of the Superstation, they were relatively balanced as they knew a lot of viewers who weren't tied to the Braves were watching the games. Skip especially went out of his way to laud opposing teams and players when they were good and provide unvarnished criticism of the Braves when they messed up.
    Now?

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Well. The Braves TV region is basically Trump country, so perhaps they prefer being spoonfed lies of hyperbole?

I cant stand Chip on some days but honestly when I'm watching I've learned to kind of just zone them out and focus on the game itself.
    Forever Fredi

12. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

thewupk (08-28-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Now?
    I'm way old. Outside of Harry Caray with the Cardinals, baseball announcers were a lot more buttoned-down in the 1960s and 1970s.