Thread: Sept 1st is Friday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts

Sept 1st is Friday

Who gets the call up?

Does Phillips continue to play 3b in September?

Assuming fried and gohara are both called up, will they start a game?

Assuming acuna is called up, will there be a kemp/Markakis platoon in LF?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,049 Posts
    I don't expect Acuna to be called up. It would be great to build excitement but 40 man considerations might prevail.

I think Fried definitely gets a start or two. They sent him back down to stretch him back out and there's no reason to do that at this point if you're not going to bring him back up and start him. I think Gohara gets a start or two as well.

I think Phillips continues at third if he's not traded. It kind of surprises me that there's no contender out there who couldn't use him in the playoffs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I don't expect Acuna to be called up. It would be great to build excitement but 40 man considerations might prevail.

I think Fried definitely gets a start or two. They sent him back down to stretch him back out and there's no reason to do that at this point if you're not going to bring him back up and start him. I think Gohara gets a start or two as well.

I think Phillips continues at third if he's not traded. It kind of surprises me that there's no contender out there who couldn't use him in the playoffs.
    I've seen him make some hellacious plays over there. What are the grades on his D so far?
    Ivermectin Man

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Once you get Phillips, it's tough to drop Phillips. Braves or retired most likely this offseason and I think it'll probably be retired.

If he continues to play once Camargo is healthy it is a mistake and it is a mistake if Adonis plays.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Attendance is dropping, level of play is way down... I think acuna is gonna be called up. Not saying I think he should, but I think he will be

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    If he is, even if he performs well I disagree with it unlike Albies where it kind of made sense.

And it's not going to draw my eyes back. I have other stuff that I need to concentrate on. I'll watch when I have time but when I don't it won't be a priority.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I don't think Acuna is called up. It has nothing to do with the 40 man roster. I just don't see us sitting Nick or Kemp right now., when we're probably working hard to try and trade them.

I think Fried could get a start or two. Gohara has never pitched more than 69 inninghs and is at 118. We may leave him in the pen.

If Phillips is still here come Sept 1st then he'll be playing 3B. I'd have to assume someone will make a play for him though.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post

Surprises me a bit as well. His ability to play 3B in addition to 2B and be a decent RHH option off the bench should interest somebody.

I don't think there will be a ton of roster additions. I'm guessing Morris and Hursh get added to the bullpen. Jackson, Krol, Santana, Camargo, and Garcia come off the DL. Maybe Micah Johnson, but the ship has probably sailed on him.

I am guessing no on Acuna.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    I'd like to give Rio the last month at third base instead of Phillips. At least take a shot to see what a young guy can do in a lost season instead of letting a veteran play it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    I'd like to give Rio the last month at third base instead of Phillips. At least take a shot to see what a young guy can do in a lost season instead of letting a veteran play it out.
    Ruiz or camargo for sure need to be at 3b

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Ruiz or camargo for sure need to be at 3b
    Forgot about Ruiz. He'll be up as well. Crowded dugout.

I think the goal should be to get guys who may be on the margin as many ABs as possible.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I saw somewhere, and I don't remember where, that the Reds are paying all but $1M of Phillips' salary (fact) but that if he is traded, the team that picks him up is responsible for the pro-rated amount of his complete salary ($14M). Anyone else heard this?

I looked at Cots and it just shows that he is due a 500K bonus if he is traded again.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I saw somewhere, and I don't remember where, that the Reds are paying all but $1M of Phillips' salary (fact) but that if he is traded, the team that picks him up is responsible for the pro-rated amount of his complete salary ($14M). Anyone else heard this?

I looked at Cots and it just shows that he is due a 500K bonus if he is traded again.
    I had heard something to that effect. Would be about $2 MM total (counting the $500,000), which would be steep for as much as he'd likely contribute. Still, with Logan Forsythe and Chase Utley scuffling and the Angels a little light in the infield on down the road in California, it's plausible there might be some interest out there.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 08-28-2017 at 10:08 AM.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Gohara gets called up for sure and starts some games...I wanted Phillips back for another year at 3rd but if he's bitching/whining about it after he's played great there I'd just as soon move on and see how a Camargo/Ruiz platoon goes...I don't care really as long as Dansby stays at SS and Ozzie at 2nd with NO trades of either in the offseason...as far as BP goes I expect Morris to be called up, should have never been sent down in the first place and probably Hursh although I'd rather see someone like Pfeifer, Clouse or Graham although the latter two are in AA...Collmenter in the BP as well?
    Last edited by steveAKAslick; 08-28-2017 at 10:28 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Phillips traded by Thursday.
    Get off my lawn!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanforlife88 For This Useful Post:

Chico (08-28-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Braves could pass along the money coming from the Reds if they trade Phillips, just like almost every team does when they re-trade a guy. For example, SD is sending the money they get from LA to Atlanta for Kemp.

Being cheap asses is the only reason BP hasn't been traded yet. They have done everything possible to piss him off so he waives his NT, but they still can't get a deal done.

The disappointing attendance/revenue this year is forcing the Braves to pinch pennies.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post

Was my understanding as well. Unless they plan to ask him to come back and be part of a 3B platoon with Rio in 2018 (at the very least) and are afraid trading him to someone in contention will get in the way of that, I'd imagine the brass would be willing to work out something financially to pick up another marginal prospect. Obviously no need to trade him to save money, but if they could get a 40 FV prospect for him and a million bucks...

Guess it would ultimately come down to what they're leaning towards for next season.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Phillips traded by Thursday.
    They should have just cut him, arguably, if they wanted his roster spot. Save the trading bonus and seems like if anyone had offered anything of use at all he'd be gone.

I don't think anyone particularly wants or needs him.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    They should have just cut him, arguably, if they wanted his roster spot. Save the trading bonus and seems like if anyone had offered anything of use at all he'd be gone.

I don't think anyone particularly wants or needs him.
    He seems like the kind of guy they might want to have a long term relationship with. Keeping some good feelings for the future might just be worth a few bucks and not offending him in the last month of his contract. If no contender wants him, and nobody is offering much... no need to do anything in a big hurry. I suspect there are discussions going on that we will never become aware of.