Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Dissension in the front office?

From MLB Rumors
    The Braves made what appear to be some fairly minor changes in their front office, reports Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic (subscription required and recommended), but some within the organization wonder if they’re the start to larger alterations. Among the more notable changes, Dom Chiti has moved from director of pitching to farm director, per Rosenthal. Special assistant Dave Wallace will step into Chiti’s former role. Dave Trembley will no longer serve as farm director and will instead be a field coordinator. Many teams make changes to their front office structure and scouting departments around this time, so the exact timing of the moves isn’t a surprise. One club official, though, spoke to Rosenthal about a “power struggle,” rhetorically asking: “Is John Schuerholz running the club or are John Hart and John Coppolella running it?” Rosenthal cites other Braves sources in reporting that Hart refutes the validity of that view. Hart, according to Rosenthal, is expected to return next year (his contract runs through 2017), and the Braves are also expected to eventually hire another exec to work under current Coppolella, who is currently the GM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I think it's pretty clear that John is the guy in charge.

3. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

4maddux_cy's (08-29-2017), bravesfanforlife88 (08-29-2017), bravesnumberone (08-31-2017), Chico (08-29-2017), DaneHill (08-30-2017), Gary82 (08-29-2017), Hawk (08-29-2017), jpx7 (08-30-2017), Julio3000 (08-29-2017), NinersSBChamps (08-29-2017), The Chosen One (08-29-2017)

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    IMO, the front office will struggle as long as the old guard is still in place. JS and Bobby need to get out all team involvement.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to trob15 For This Useful Post:

Preacher (08-29-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I've never been that big of a Schuerholz fan. I think his major accomplishments were taking the team to the next level in the early-1990s by (1) Weaning Bobby away from worshiping the farm system he had built and augmenting it with some veteran leadership and (2) learning to balance on top of Turner's pile of money. Don't get me wrong. He did some very good things, but, much like in Kansas City, when the money dried up, he got lost in a hurry. I have blamed Wren for a lot of things (and there are things he should be blamed for), but if Schuerholz was looking over his shoulder the whole time he was here, an argument can be made that Wren's shortcomings need to be shared by Schuerholz. I agree that if Schuerholz is still exerting authority on day-to-day things, it needs to stop.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-29-2017), jpx7 (08-30-2017), Julio3000 (08-29-2017)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    JS is a huge problem because he is probably desperate to win as soon as possible... and that doesnt work in a rebuild

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (08-29-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    I've been saying there are problems in the FO for months. Coppy distancing himself from the Swanson promotion, all the recently promoted pitchers flopping, and the Braves needing to unload salary when a brand new ballpark is supposed to dramatically boost revenues should be clear signs to all but the fans with their heads buried deepest in the sand.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-29-2017 at 11:06 AM.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I have wondered about the efficacy of our MiL instructional/development staff. Some of this looks like it's pointed in that direction.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (08-29-2017), Jaw (08-29-2017), jpx7 (08-30-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I've been saying there are problems in the FO for months. Coppy distancing himself from the Swanson promotion, all the recently promoted pitchers flopping, and the Braves needing to unload salary when a brand new ballpark is supposed to dramatically boost revenues should be clear signs to all but the fans with their heads buried deepest in the sand.
    I think we'll need to wait a while to gauge the impact of the Battery, but the execs said unequivocally that we'd see significant payroll increases when those revenue streams are in place. I said at the time that I'd believe it when the checks were cut. I'm still fairly skeptical.

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    the swanson promotion. holy **** not this again.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I've never been that big of a Schuerholz fan. I think his major accomplishments were taking the team to the next level in the early-1990s by (1) Weaning Bobby away from worshiping the farm system he had built and augmenting it with some veteran leadership and (2) learning to balance on top of Turner's pile of money. Don't get me wrong. He did some very good things, but, much like in Kansas City, when the money dried up, he got lost in a hurry. I have blamed Wren for a lot of things (and there are things he should be blamed for), but if Schuerholz was looking over his shoulder the whole time he was here, an argument can be made that Wren's shortcomings need to be shared by Schuerholz. I agree that if Schuerholz is still exerting authority on day-to-day things, it needs to stop.
    I think JS probably had something to do with making life difficult for Wren. I think he probably makes life difficult for Coppy/Hart though not as difficult. And JS certainly benefitted from being able to keep three HOF pitchers together for a long run, though I think he did a good job in choosing when not to re-sign them.

With that major caveat, he presided over 14 consecutive division titles* which is by a long shot more than anyone else ever presided over. A fair number of those weren't with the big 3 all pitching at peak.

That's impressive to me whether it has created a difficult situation for GMs that came after him or not.

He was really good at what he did, I think.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,292 Posts
    The Braves prospects, especially pitching prospects, have largely (or completely) failed the last 3 years. Now the Braves have moved new guys into the roles directly responsible for those aspects of the organization.

These moves reek of top level management trying to save their asses by shaking up the team below them.

If the Braves don't have a much more competitive team that results in 3M+ attendance next year, major heads will be lost. It's why all these sub-optimal "win soon" moves have been made the last 3 years.

Clear to anyone whose head isn't buried in the sand.
    I don't necessarily hold it against the FO for the failed pitching prospects. However, it's quite clear the powers at be have consistently made poor decisions as it relates to the big league roster and some of those decisions will detriment the future of the club (e.g., Simmons, Kimbrel, Wood/Kemp, etc.). I don't fault the team on the logic behind any of those trades, but the execution was poor and so poor that many of the fans on this board immediately recognized the severe risk. (I myself am a bleeding optimist, so I tried to be be positive, but at some point you have to call a spade a spade.)

The good news is that the core of the rebuild is still in tact and the future is still bright. And despite the poor decision making in the past, it doesn't mean the FO can't make good decisions moving forward. It's quite possible that next year Albies/Acuna/Swanson all turn into bonafide all-stars in which case the rebuild will become that much easier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,705 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    It's not semantics. They traded Alex Wood, Jim Johnson, Bronson Arroyo, Luis Avilan and Jose Peraza for three players who'd never made a major league start (i.e. "prospects") and a draft pick.

Call it a bad trade, call it a horrible trade, just don't call it trading prospects for major league players.
    Paco has pitched 85 inning in MLB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Braves opened the season at 126m payroll according to the AJC at the time.

I'm not sure how much of this info will be in the Liberty reporting -- with a shadow stock maybe a lot of it will be. But the only real judge will be to see where payroll tends to land going forward.

It's never been clear to me how much of the ancillary income was going to remain in house. Just like I'm not sure were the 50 million dollar windfall every MLB team is getting will be deposited.
    I'd read a different number, but that's not really the issue.

McGuirk said he expected us to be a top-10 payroll team.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post

They were #17, according the AJC.

Just have to see where it goes from there.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    They were #17, according the AJC.

Just have to see where it goes from there.
    Again, this is a number we can easily look up. No need to cling to "facts" that make you feel better about the situation.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Again, this is a number we can easily look up. No need to cling to "facts" that make you feel better about the situation.
    I'll make it even easier for you. Here is the article: http://www.ajc.com/sports/baseball/w...HPzU15Yp41qvI/

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post

Why is the Pozzy Chief acting like this isn't a number we can easily look up?

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/atlanta-braves/payroll/

The very bottom-right figure is the Braves total 2017 payroll: $113.9M.

That value includes adjustments like Kemp only being paid $9.5M, and all the signing bonuses for the 2017 draft class.

So yeah...where's this big jump? How are we supposed to believe they will be $165M and in the Top 10 any time soon with a terrible TV contract and attendance in the 2.4M range?

Do we really need any more clarification as to why the FO is in trouble?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    the main concern I have is something is causing the front office to make short-sighted decisions regarding service clock management...im not entirely sure what is causing that to happen

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (08-29-2017), Jaw (08-30-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    the main concern I have is something is causing the front office to make short-sighted decisions regarding service clock management...im not entirely sure what is causing that to happen
    They promised a competitive team by 2017 when the new park opened. The rebuild would not have been green lighted otherwise. The drive to be competitive forced all the oddly timed promotions, and all the inefficient "win soon" moves.

It's all tied to attendance and revenue because that's all Liberty cares about. If the Braves don't draw 3M+ next year, I expect the FO to be largely cleared out. The FO is making changes to show higher level execs they are taking action to address the issues. First they fired Fredi, now they are shuffling the lower level execs. It's typical blame shifting seen in every single organization in the world.

I've been saying it for months, and now we are starting to see the first consequences of this doomed process.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-29-2017 at 01:29 PM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    They promised a competitive team by 2017 when the new park opened. The rebuild would not have been green lighted otherwise. The drive to be competitive forced all the oddly timed promotions, and all the inefficient "win soon" moves.

It's all tied to attendance and revenue because that's all Liberty cares about. If the Braves don't draw 3M+ next year, I expect the FO to be largely cleared out. The FO is making changes to show higher level execs they are taking action to address the issues. First they fired Fredi, now they are shuffling the lower level execs. It's typical blame shifting seen in every single organization in the world.

I've been saying it for months, and now we are starting to see the first consequences of this doomed process.

if clearing out the entire FO means getting rid of Cox and JS.. then sign me up to the negi brave's roster..
    Coppy