Thread: Dissension in the front office?

Awaiting a Promotion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Dissension in the front office?

From MLB Rumors
    The Braves made what appear to be some fairly minor changes in their front office, reports Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic (subscription required and recommended), but some within the organization wonder if they’re the start to larger alterations. Among the more notable changes, Dom Chiti has moved from director of pitching to farm director, per Rosenthal. Special assistant Dave Wallace will step into Chiti’s former role. Dave Trembley will no longer serve as farm director and will instead be a field coordinator. Many teams make changes to their front office structure and scouting departments around this time, so the exact timing of the moves isn’t a surprise. One club official, though, spoke to Rosenthal about a “power struggle,” rhetorically asking: “Is John Schuerholz running the club or are John Hart and John Coppolella running it?” Rosenthal cites other Braves sources in reporting that Hart refutes the validity of that view. Hart, according to Rosenthal, is expected to return next year (his contract runs through 2017), and the Braves are also expected to eventually hire another exec to work under current Coppolella, who is currently the GM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I think it's pretty clear that John is the guy in charge.

3. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

4maddux_cy's (08-29-2017), bravesfanforlife88 (08-29-2017), bravesnumberone (08-31-2017), Chico (08-29-2017), DaneHill (08-30-2017), Gary82 (08-29-2017), Hawk (08-29-2017), jpx7 (08-30-2017), Julio3000 (08-29-2017), NinersSBChamps (08-29-2017), The Chosen One (08-29-2017)

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    IMO, the front office will struggle as long as the old guard is still in place. JS and Bobby need to get out all team involvement.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to trob15 For This Useful Post:

Preacher (08-29-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I've never been that big of a Schuerholz fan. I think his major accomplishments were taking the team to the next level in the early-1990s by (1) Weaning Bobby away from worshiping the farm system he had built and augmenting it with some veteran leadership and (2) learning to balance on top of Turner's pile of money. Don't get me wrong. He did some very good things, but, much like in Kansas City, when the money dried up, he got lost in a hurry. I have blamed Wren for a lot of things (and there are things he should be blamed for), but if Schuerholz was looking over his shoulder the whole time he was here, an argument can be made that Wren's shortcomings need to be shared by Schuerholz. I agree that if Schuerholz is still exerting authority on day-to-day things, it needs to stop.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-29-2017), jpx7 (08-30-2017), Julio3000 (08-29-2017)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    JS is a huge problem because he is probably desperate to win as soon as possible... and that doesnt work in a rebuild

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

DirkPiggler (08-29-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    I've been saying there are problems in the FO for months. Coppy distancing himself from the Swanson promotion, all the recently promoted pitchers flopping, and the Braves needing to unload salary when a brand new ballpark is supposed to dramatically boost revenues should be clear signs to all but the fans with their heads buried deepest in the sand.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-29-2017 at 11:06 AM.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I have wondered about the efficacy of our MiL instructional/development staff. Some of this looks like it's pointed in that direction.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (08-29-2017), Jaw (08-29-2017), jpx7 (08-30-2017)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I've been saying there are problems in the FO for months. Coppy distancing himself from the Swanson promotion, all the recently promoted pitchers flopping, and the Braves needing to unload salary when a brand new ballpark is supposed to dramatically boost revenues should be clear signs to all but the fans with their heads buried deepest in the sand.
    I think we'll need to wait a while to gauge the impact of the Battery, but the execs said unequivocally that we'd see significant payroll increases when those revenue streams are in place. I said at the time that I'd believe it when the checks were cut. I'm still fairly skeptical.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Seems like Trembley was the odd man out, which makes sense as he was hired before JS gave Hart and Coppy the job. Wallace moves in to director of pitching which makes sense for him. Chiti moves in to the farm director role. They now have an opening for Coppy to hire his own special assistant.

I don't think there's much to see here.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Seems like Trembley was the odd man out, which makes sense as he was hired before JS gave Hart and Coppy the job. Wallace moves in to director of pitching which makes sense for him. Chiti moves in to the farm director role. They now have an opening for Coppy to hire his own special assistant.

I agree with you on the shuffling of the minor league personnel, but it's the "power struggle" mention that caught my eye. There could be two separate items in Rosenthal's story.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts

The Braves prospects, especially pitching prospects, have largely (or completely) failed the last 3 years. Now the Braves have moved new guys into the roles directly responsible for those aspects of the organization.

These moves reek of top level management trying to save their asses by shaking up the team below them.

If the Braves don't have a much more competitive team that results in 3M+ attendance next year, major heads will be lost. It's why all these sub-optimal "win soon" moves have been made the last 3 years.

Clear to anyone whose head isn't buried in the sand.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-29-2017 at 11:44 AM.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    The Braves prospects, especially pitching prospects, have largely (or completely) failed the last 3 years. Now the Braves have moved new guys into the roles directly responsible for those aspects of the organization.

These moves reek of top level management trying to save their asses by shaking up the team below them.

If the Braves don't have a much more competitive team and 3M+ attendance next year, major heads will be lost. It's why all these sub-optimal "win soon" moves have been made the last 3 years.

It is clear that player development is not happening and I think more heads will roll. Way too much talent coming/has come up to not have some level of success.
    Coppy

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    What a mess, time to cut the good old boys for real. No more of this JS/Hart/Cox thing

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Cell View Post
    What a mess, time to cut the good old boys for real. No more of this JS/Hart/Cox thing
    Without a real owner, I just don't see that happening. I am too tired of living like we have a big three pitching staff and that is the 'Braves Way'.. but who is going to fire JS or Bobby Cox.. Liberty doesn't care, they want a bottom line.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    It is clear that player development is not happening and I think more heads will roll. Way too much talent coming/has come up to not have some level of success.
    Agreed. This organization has built around pitching prospects, has invested $40M+ in pitchers this year, and is currently tied for next to last in MLB in pitching WAR.

"The Braves Way" has almost completely failed, attendance is nowhere near what was expected, and some guys in suits who thought they were smarter than everyone else are feeling the heat.

Several on here love to fall back on the "these get paid to do this, they know more than you" line when we criticize the FO. Well guess what? A few of them won't be getting paid to do this much longer if they don't figure out how to stop making terrible moves.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-29-2017 at 11:49 AM.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts

If the Braves don't have a much more competitive team that results in 3M+ attendance next year, major heads will be lost. It's why all these sub-optimal "win soon" moves have been made the last 3 years.

Eh...I don't know if I go that dramatic.

Those prospects like Wisler and Blair Tyrell were already in AAA by the time we got them. Now you can complain that we should not have traded for pitchability pitchers who were close to major league ready and that's hard to disagree with. The only real pitcher we got in that wave was Folty. I have not given up on newcomb yet.

Our other pitching prospects that we have developed have developed nicely

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Agreed. This organization has built around pitching prospects, has invested $40M+ in pitchers this year, and is currently tied for next to last in MLB in pitching WAR.

"The Braves Way" has almost completely failed, attendance is nowhere near what was expected, and some guys in suits who thought they were smarter than everyone else are feeling the heat.

Several on here love to fall back on the "these get paid to do this, they know more than you" line when we criticize the FO. Well guess what? A few of them won't be getting paid to do this much longer if they don't figure out how to stop making terrible moves.
    I still think there is a hazy line between bad decision and bad development. I think there was some real talent acquired and the organization has done a poor job developing it. But whose fault is that? I mean we picked our manager because our 1st baseman liked the guy. Not saying Snit didn't at least deserve a look, nor FF opinion doesn't matter.. But personally, I would want the absolute best people around all the talent I obtained and not just base my decision on guys who won in 90's and my all star 1st baseman opinions.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I've never been that big of a Schuerholz fan. I think his major accomplishments were taking the team to the next level in the early-1990s by (1) Weaning Bobby away from worshiping the farm system he had built and augmenting it with some veteran leadership and (2) learning to balance on top of Turner's pile of money. Don't get me wrong. He did some very good things, but, much like in Kansas City, when the money dried up, he got lost in a hurry. I have blamed Wren for a lot of things (and there are things he should be blamed for), but if Schuerholz was looking over his shoulder the whole time he was here, an argument can be made that Wren's shortcomings need to be shared by Schuerholz. I agree that if Schuerholz is still exerting authority on day-to-day things, it needs to stop.
    I think JS probably had something to do with making life difficult for Wren. I think he probably makes life difficult for Coppy/Hart though not as difficult. And JS certainly benefitted from being able to keep three HOF pitchers together for a long run, though I think he did a good job in choosing when not to re-sign them.

With that major caveat, he presided over 14 consecutive division titles* which is by a long shot more than anyone else ever presided over. A fair number of those weren't with the big 3 all pitching at peak.

That's impressive to me whether it has created a difficult situation for GMs that came after him or not.

He was really good at what he did, I think.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts

I don't necessarily hold it against the FO for the failed pitching prospects. However, it's quite clear the powers at be have consistently made poor decisions as it relates to the big league roster and some of those decisions will detriment the future of the club (e.g., Simmons, Kimbrel, Wood/Kemp, etc.). I don't fault the team on the logic behind any of those trades, but the execution was poor and so poor that many of the fans on this board immediately recognized the severe risk. (I myself am a bleeding optimist, so I tried to be be positive, but at some point you have to call a spade a spade.)

The good news is that the core of the rebuild is still in tact and the future is still bright. And despite the poor decision making in the past, it doesn't mean the FO can't make good decisions moving forward. It's quite possible that next year Albies/Acuna/Swanson all turn into bonafide all-stars in which case the rebuild will become that much easier.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Eh...I don't know if I go that dramatic.

Those prospects like Wisler and Blair Tyrell were already in AAA by the time we got them. Now you can complain that we should not have traded for pitchability pitchers who were close to major league ready and that's hard to disagree with. The only real pitcher we got in that wave was Folty. I have not given up on newcomb yet.

Our other pitching prospects that we have developed have developed nicely
    Wisler and Blair were good prospects. They should have been better. Wisler out of the gate was good. What happened to him? Why did he regress? why did he not adjust?

I agree more talent is coming.. but Folty flat lining.. JT regressing, swanson struggles.. There is a lot of talent and it needs to be handled correctly. If the FO is only responsible for trading/drafting our talent, then I give them a break, but I think they are responsible for more than just that personally.
    Coppy