Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Democratic Policies

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

Democratic Policies

Yesterday I saw a statement from John Kasich that echoed something I hear here from (R) every day.
    "The (D) have no policies"
    well, that just isn't true

So let's start here :

The Left Has Made Medicare for All a Mainstream, Democratic Policy
    By
    Eric Levitz

And then, on Wednesday night, Harris announced that she would co-sponsor Bernie Sanders’s forthcoming bill to establish a single-payer, “Medicare for All” health-care system in the United States.

“All people should have access to affordable health care, and as we talk about moving toward a single-payer system, I think there is certainly energy and momentum toward that,’’ Harris told reporters in Oakland. “Americans are making very clear when they defeated the repeal of ACA … that they don’t want to play politics with their health care.”

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...gle-payer.html
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    And like Bernie's other lame brain ideas......

Who is going to pay for it? The insurance industry is not going to roll over and take a loss in this endeavour and our treasury can't print invisible money to pay for it. Our health care system has the highest cost in the world, the lawyers, the docs, nurses, admins, building, let alone red tape costs are much more than any other country in the world. Are you going to ask them for a pay cut?

Forget about asking the rich, they will just roll their eyes if you ask them to pay for it.

Just like education, who was going to pay for that, teacher unions would have a fit if you ask for them to take a pay cut.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AerchAngel For This Useful Post:

Jaw (09-01-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    By your thinking we would still be trying to figure out how to start a fire with two rocks.

Those are good questions that need to be answered -- and I am sure they will.
    When you set goals for your family -- first you decided you wanted Johnny to go to college --- right ?
    Then you looked at your significant other and said, "how are we going to pay for this"
    From what I've read of you and yours, Johnny did go to college --- right?

You know this stuff

Would teachers unions balk at a pay cut ?
    Our only reference is 20-30 years ago. A lot has changed
    Starting the conversation and setting the goals is the first step

we may learn we can't afford it == but we won't know if we don't put it on the table
    Last edited by 57Brave; 08-31-2017 at 03:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    No' argument from me there.

The way you put it out there that means they have a plan. I would love to hear it but at this time it is not possible because lawyers will not want to give up their cash cow, docs will not take pay cuts, nor will nurses. The business that makes a lot of money off of hospital equipment don't want to either. You will have to grease a lot of palms to even get one foot, well a crack in the door before you get anywhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    By your thinking we would still be trying to figure out how to start a fire with two rocks.

Those are good questions that need to be answered -- and I am sure they will.
    When you set goals for your family -- first you decided you wanted Johnny to go to college --- right ?
    Then you looked at your significant other and said, "how are we going to pay for this"
    From what I've read of you and yours, Johnny did go to college --- right?

You know this stuff

Would teachers unions balk at a pay cut ?
    Our only reference is 20-30 years ago. A lot has changed
    Starting the conversation and setting the goals is the first step

we may learn we can't afford it == but we won't know if we don't put it on the table
    As for college, only have one she is 24 but she lives over seas and the only thing I had to pay for was her private school. She studied hard enough to receive an equivalent of an internship so her college was free as she works for the company that SPONSORED her.

Would not be a bad idea over here but we have way too many students and not enough jobs to do this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Teddy Roosevelt first proposed the idea.
    That is why ACA is/was so monumental === they got something across the line
    100 years

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    As for college, only have one she is 24 but she lives over seas and the only thing I had to pay for was her private school. She studied hard enough to receive an equivalent of an internship so her college was free as she works for the company that SPONSORED her.

Would not be a bad idea over here but we have way too many students and not enough jobs to do this.
    problem then is there is no coordinated education system.
    Try to finding 21 year old plumbers/electricians/carpenters/brick layers etc etc etc.
    Where I live the vast majority don't speak English which to me isn't a problem but to one out of work with no training -- yeah that is a problem

In stripping the unions we have stripped the apprenticeship programs that manned our trades for generations after the Great Depression.
    Then (R) stripped funding for job training. So yeah, we have an over abundance of History teachers -- where else are they going to go ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    And we would have the European model right now if he done it then but it would have been hard to keep the lawyering up part out of it though. We have sharks in the US unlike Europe that are very litigious compared to anywhere else.

Not possible now because people with money want to keep it and will not sacrifice their bottom line and that goes from the cleaning lady/janitor up to the Insurance CEO/Lawyer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    problem then is there is no coordinated education system.
    Try to finding 21 year old plumbers/electricians/carpenters/brick layers etc etc etc.
    Where I live the vast majority don't speak English which to me isn't a problem but to one out of work with no training -- yeah that is a problem

In stripping the unions we have stripped the apprenticeship programs that manned our trades for generations after the Great Depression.
    Then (R) stripped funding for job training. So yeah, we have an over abundance of History teachers -- where else are they going to go ?
    You have to be someone devoted to even go into teaching History. Any student today need to go to field that pays and that is abundant but that is on them if they want to be a teacher knowing that the income is not that great - for that matter anywhere in the world unless you are a professor.

No one strip the unions of their apprenticeship programs they did it themselves to save money. Trump is actually doing something about that and Obama sponsored for that as well.

We are hurting for workers here in Wisconsin and here in this city. If you grad here at the university you pretty much guarantee a job here or in Minneapolis...if you can brave the cold.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,784 Posts
    Saying that you want everyone to have health care is not a policy.

When the dems (and republicans) get serious about spending I'll listen to their ideas. But, in case you haven't noticed, we have a $1T deficit. Social Security cannot survive in its current form, and we have nearly $100T in unfunded liabilities.

Do I wish we could snap a finger and give everything what they want? Sure. It's not possible in our current environment.

And that's before we even talk about constitutionality of things and individual liberty that you like to mock

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (09-01-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    That is what makes you Republican and why I think it lazy to wave politics off as they are all the same .
    You and I have pointedly different political philosophies.

But Medicare for all is coming because people want it, it is economicly sound as proven by every major nation in tbe world.
    Your concerns are real and deserve to be heard .

What is more important on every level than the health of our citizenry ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Saying that you want everyone to have health care is not a policy.

When the dems (and republicans) get serious about spending I'll listen to their ideas. But, in case you haven't noticed, we have a $1T deficit. Social Security cannot survive in its current form, and we have nearly $100T in unfunded liabilities.

Do I wish we could snap a finger and give everything what they want? Sure. It's not possible in our current environment.

And that's before we even talk about constitutionality of things and individual liberty that you like to mock
    Of course that is not a policy.

Again, Its all just emotional arguments without any real substance. It gets people charged up and then when it fails its because of the other sides racism/sexism/homophobia/etc...
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    That is what makes you Republican and why I think it lazy to wave politics off as they are all the same .

But Medicare for all is coming because people want it, it is economicly sound as proven by every major nation in tbe world.

Death is a part of life. When you experience it at a young age you realize that.

We the people do not have an obligation to ensure that everyone lives until a certain age.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    By the same token cutting taxes is not a policy per se. A piece of the puzzle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Death is a part of life. When you experience it at a young age you realize that.

We the people do not have an obligation to ensure that everyone lives until a certain age.
    What a short sighted amoral statement.

Life,liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    What a short sighted amoral statement.

Life,liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
    Life does not mean long life.

Liberty means not unfairly burdening individuals because of the needs of others.

Happiness does not mean long life.

Again - When you learn that life isn't always meant to be long at an early age you don't have a utopian view of everyone should live forever.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,784 Posts

My concerns deserve to be heard, but you won't hear them.

Medicare for all is not currently feasible. You have to cut somewhere, and you recently told that you wouldn't support a single cut in government spending outside of defense.

So, you're not actually serious about health care for all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    You oppse Medicare for all, fair enough. What do you propose ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,784 Posts
    You oppse Medicare for all, fair enough. What do you propose ?
    It's irrelevant. You are not proposing a feasible policy. When you do, I'll listen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The point Kasich and other (R) have made was, there were no (D) policy initiatives.
    Not whether Republicans agreed

For conversation sake
    You were given opportunity to make a counter proposal and your answer was in effect "if I don't get what I want ..."

Your buddy under the bed proposed "death panels"
    How Palian