Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Luiz Henrique Gohara

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I think most are concerned with the modern game, not the game 10 years ago when average velocity was 2 MPH less. Haren averaging 91-92 then is the same as someone averaging 93-94 now.
    My question is whether a well located 93 mph fastball is easier to hit now than it was 10 years ago.

I guess hitters are more used to velocity from early levels due to the insane way kids treat their arms.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    My question is whether a well located 93 mph fastball is easier to hit now than it was 10 years ago.

I guess hitters are more used to velocity from early levels due to the insane way kids treat their arms.
    I'd reckon it's about the same.

Not sure if this pertains to anything being argued about in this thread but 95+ is a game changer and always will be. Whether it was 20 years ago or today it's still hard to hit and likely always will be. Want to know why strikeouts are at an all time high and continue to increase almost year after year? Pitchers, on average, are throwing harder than they ever have. In the 10 years of velocity numbers that we have on fangraphs it's gone from a low of 91.8 in 2008 to 93.6 in 2017 on fastballs. And I'm almost positive we would see the same increase if we had the data from the previous 10 years. Strikeouts are going to continue to rise as more and more players are brought into the big leagues that can throw hard.

What does it all mean? Who knows. But throwing hard is the norm and if you can't you better excel at the other things really well or you aren't going to be given much of an opportunity in today's game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I'd reckon it's about the same.

Not sure if this pertains to anything being argued about in this thread but 95+ is a game changer and always will be. Whether it was 20 years ago or today it's still hard to hit and likely always will be. Want to know why strikeouts are at an all time high and continue to increase almost year after year? Pitchers, on average, are throwing harder than they ever have. In the 10 years of velocity numbers that we have on fangraphs it's gone from a low of 91.8 in 2008 to 93.6 in 2017 on fastballs. And I'm almost positive we would see the same increase if we had the data from the previous 10 years. Strikeouts are going to continue to rise as more and more players are brought into the big leagues that can throw hard.

What does it all mean? Who knows. But throwing hard is the norm and if you can't you better excel at the other things really well or you aren't going to be given much of an opportunity in today's game.
    Aren't HRs also at an all time high? If so, could the correlation be more guys swinging for fences = more Ks?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Aren't HRs also at an all time high? If so, could the correlation be more guys swinging for fences = more Ks?
    I'm sure that's part of it. Hitters have found out that, to a point, strikeouts simply don't matter if you are putting the ball over the fence. The flip side to this, which is hard for some people to grasp, is that for pitchers the strikeout is still very much important. If you aren't striking guys out then you better no being giving up any walks and limiting homers more than your average pitcher.

The real take away here is that pitchers are throwing harder and on average learning how to pitch at these velocities. If you aren't then you are going to be left behind unless you are exceptional in other areas.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Horsehide Harry (09-02-2017)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    We've gone from Gohara is a weak acquisition who will never be a starter in the majors to Gohara is the most critical prospect in the organization in a year and the rebuild is riding on him. Thats' dizzying. Good job, Gohara.

I'm interested to see him pitch, but the walks seems like a sore point again.
    It would be interesting to hear from others who've actually seen him pitch.

Personally, it'd surprise me if he didn't start the year again in Gwinnett for the reasons that you mentioned (walks). He just throws hard without command of that fastball.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I think the two things go hand in hand.

A pitching prospect knows that if he can't throw 95+ he will not likely make it, thus they learn to throw harder. That causes them to lose some command. If they can maintain control, then they are likely to leave more pitches in the middle of the plate.

Likewise, prospect hitters know they have to be able to hit the 95+ fastball, which means they have to react quicker. A 95+ on the corner is harder for them to make contact with but they can make contact with a pitch over the middle of the plate.

This is what every team should be trying to find.
    When you add more velocity with contact (and harder swings) you get better exit velocity so you get further distance...

The only way to break the cycle is for a pitching prospect to develop outstanding control with near 95 velocity. They then can make it through the minors (even though people will question them all the way) but when they make it, they will be able to limit HRs, maintain high K rates, limit BB rates and become #2 pitchers on any team in the league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,734 Posts
    Only a sith deals on absolutes. I would think a mathematically inclined individual such as yourself would know better.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-02-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,131 Posts
    Athletes are getting bigger and stronger in all sports. Pitchers throw harder, batters hit the ball harder.

As a result, we are seeing the game move more and more towards the 3 true outcomes. Whether that's a good thing or not is certainly open for debate.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Athletes are getting bigger and stronger in all sports. Pitchers throw harder, batters hit the ball harder.

As a result, we are seeing the game move more and more towards the 3 true outcomes. Whether that's a good thing or not is certainly open for debate.
    I agree. My intent was (and is always) to point out that you ignore change at your peril. The game today isn't the game of the 90's much less the game of the 80's or even 1880's.

The parks have changed (hell, the running game aficionado's always point to the 80's with the Cardinals as an ideal way to build a team all while avoiding the fact that Astroturf has gone the way of the dinosaur.) The players have changed in training, nutrition, attitude, approach. The game is year round as opposed to a break in selling cars or insurance in the offseason. Technology has changed. Players now know there launch angle, exit velocity, etc and can adjust accordingly.

Building a team for the way you would like things to be instead of the way they are is a sure way to disaster.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

thewupk (09-02-2017)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Only a sith deals on absolutes. I would think a mathematically inclined individual such as yourself would know better.
    the dark side is always better

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,860 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I agree. My intent was (and is always) to point out that you ignore change at your peril. The game today isn't the game of the 90's much less the game of the 80's or even 1880's.

The parks have changed (hell, the running game aficionado's always point to the 80's with the Cardinals as an ideal way to build a team all while avoiding the fact that Astroturf has gone the way of the dinosaur.) The players have changed in training, nutrition, attitude, approach. The game is year round as opposed to a break in selling cars or insurance in the offseason. Technology has changed. Players now know there launch angle, exit velocity, etc and can adjust accordingly.

Building a team for the way you would like things to be instead of the way they are is a sure way to disaster.
    Indeed. And the Braves seem to believe it's still 1991

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,131 Posts
    Henrique is a solid middle name though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Henrique is a solid middle name though.
    yeah...definitely makes him more of a prospect in my eyes

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Just curious what is the boards thoughts on Touki. Almost never hear him mentioned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc03004 View Post
    Just curious what is the boards thoughts on Touki. Almost never hear him mentioned
    most likely a reliever but needs to be given every opportunity to develop as a starter

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Gohara should be called up asap for a Sims next start imo

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,787 Posts
    Once again... no reason to start Gohara's clock now... could easily leave him down next April and work around off days to get him through the service clock times.

Braves FO is gonna Braves FO

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-02-2017), nsacpi (09-02-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Once again... no reason to start Gohara's clock now... could easily leave him down next April and work around off days to get him through the service clock times.

He has to be added to 40 man roster anyway, right?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post

service clock? We don't need no stinking service clock!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    He has to be added to 40 man roster anyway, right?
    correct
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."