Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playoff roster announcement?

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts

Playoff roster announcement?

When will we know the official roster for the DS? Curious to see if Uggla and BJ make it on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I would say that BJ makes it. NOt so sure about Uggla.
    Natural Immunity Croc

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I doubt we hear anything official until Wednesday.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    I think BJ and Uggla make it, though it's not a lock. I can't imagine Schafer making it over BJ and the Braves wont' go with too many Cs.

My guess for position players its

C - Mac and Laird
    1B - Freeman
    2B - Johnson Uggla
    SS - Simmons
    3B - Johnson
    OF - Gattis, Justin, Jason, BJ and Reed
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by graffy View Post
    I doubt we hear anything official until Wednesday.
    Agree. Among other reasons, they want to see how Walden is throwing and how he's feeling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    I think BJ and Uggla make it, though it's not a lock. I can't imagine Schafer making it over BJ and the Braves wont' go with too many Cs.

C - Mac and Laird
    1B - Freeman
    2B - Johnson Uggla
    SS - Simmons
    3B - Johnson
    I just don't see what Uggla brings to the table at this point. I think he would be dead weight on the roster. At least Janish can play a sick D.
    Natural Immunity Croc

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post

C - Mac and Laird
    1B - Freeman
    2B - Johnson Uggla
    SS - Simmons
    3B - Johnson
    I don't think they will carry 13 pitchers for a 5 games series.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    I think they can wait until the day of the game to announce the roster. Usual breakdown is one less pitcher than the regular season, for me that would be Maholm. Extra position player gives us plenty of room for Uggla and BJ.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I just don't see what Uggla brings to the table at this point. I think he would be dead weight on the roster. At least Janish can play a sick D.
    What Uggla brings is a second bat off the bench. is there anyone you'd take over him? Schafer? Terds? Constanza? Janish? BJ?

Braves will probably carry at least for the DS both Janish and Uggla. But to me I take the bat.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I think they will go with 14 position players and 11 pitchers.

The 14 position players: McCann, Laird, Freeman, E Johnson, Simmons, C Johnson, Gattis, Heyward, J Upton, BJ Upton, Schafer, Constanza, Uggla, R Johnson

The 11 pitchers: Medlen, Minor, Teheran, Garcia, Kimbrel, Carpenter, Ayala, Avilan, Downs, Wood will be ten. The 11th will be Walden if healthy. If not Maholm.

If they go with 12 pitchers, Varvaro would be the guy. The guy on the bubble among position players is probably Constanza. I think the two pinch hits he got in the Phillies series probably won a spot for Constanza. It makes sense to me to have Constanza there as a second lefty bat/pinch runner on the bench because the Dodgers use mainly right-handed relievers in high leverage situations. We might have a long game where we need two lefty pinch hitters.

The other consideration is Chris Johnson's shoulder. If it is iffy they might want Janish instead of Constanza. But I don't think so given the option of bringing in Uggla (yes the thought of Uggla as a defensive replacement is a bit mind boggling) and moving Elliot Johnson to third.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 09-30-2013 at 10:34 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Janish has played 9 games at 2B, 6 games at SS and 36 games at 3B this year. I'm assuming he could be our primary backup infielder and good reason to leave Uggla off of the roster.

At that point, as crazy as it sounds, I want Constanza in there over Uggla. Do you really want Uggla in a key situation off of the bench? The only thing he can really do for us is take a walk. He hit .122 in September in 60 plate appearances. He's done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    I can't believe that they will leave either Uggla or BJ off the roster, know matter how much they might deserve it. How much salary is that between them?

At least you know they will both be motivated, though that doesn't make me feel much better.

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    I bet they leave BJ on and leave Uggla off. BJ will be used as a late game defensive replacement for Gattis and with CJ's shoulder they'll carry Janish over Uggla. That's my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    I can't believe that they will leave either Uggla or BJ off the roster, know matter how much they might deserve it. How much salary is that between them?

At least you know they will both be motivated, though that doesn't make me feel much better.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    zito, I think it will be Schafer over Reed Johnson. Don't know about Uggla. Janish does bring the ability to play SS if that would become necessary. I think they will go with 11 or 12 pitchers.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    If there were no personal feelings involved I could see Uggla left off the roster. We all know he has been abysmal this year! But this not being a video game where the characters have no feelings, I just think the team chemistry would nosedive if Uggla were left off. Struggles aside, he seems to be a favorite in the clubhouse and a 'team leader' (cough cough). I'm sure this chafes every one on here but IMO, I don't see the management risking that kind of bad mojo by leaving the big veteran off the postseason roster, warranted or not!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    527 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravebonebook View Post
    If there were no personal feelings involved I could see Uggla left off the roster. We all know he has been abysmal this year! But this not being a video game where the characters have no feelings, I just think the team chemistry would nosedive if Uggla were left off. Struggles aside, he seems to be a favorite in the clubhouse and a 'team leader' (cough cough). I'm sure this chafes every one on here but IMO, I don't see the management risking that kind of bad mojo by leaving the big veteran off the postseason roster, warranted or not!
    I mean, can't he still sit in the dugout with the team? I touched on the human side of things yesterday, but the team has to understand the situation of how historically bad he's been

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Kind of amazing that Elliot Johnson is now a lock for the postseason roster and probably a starter. Vs their great starting pitching he'a a better choice than Uggla, who can't even hit bad pitching now. EJ might scratch out a leg hit or bunt, steal a base, and help us manufacture a run in what almost certainly be a low scoring game.

I think you need Janish to replace CJ defensively, and have the roster space to do it. You don't need Costanza if you already have EJ and Schafer.

There's room for Uggla and BJ with one less pitcher needed.

High School Draftee ProbationDeac's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post

They will both be on the roster and some on here will go nuts and demand Fredi fired on the spot. Should be fun!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ProbationDeac For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (09-30-2013)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think they will go with 14 position players and 11 pitchers.

The 14 position players: McCann, Laird, Freeman, E Johnson, Simmons, C Johnson, Gattis, Heyward, J Upton, BJ Upton, Schafer, Constanza, Uggla, R Johnson

The 11 pitchers: Medlen, Minor, Teheran, Garcia, Kimbrel, Carpenter, Ayala, Avilan, Downs, Wood will be ten. The 11th will be Walden if healthy. If not Maholm.

If they go with 12 pitchers, Varvaro would be the guy. The guy on the bubble among position players is probably Constanza. I think the two pinch hits he got in the Phillies series probably won a spot for Constanza. It makes sense to me to have Constanza there as a second lefty bat/pinch runner on the bench because the Dodgers use mainly right-handed relievers in high leverage situations. We might have a long game where we need two lefty pinch hitters.

The other consideration is Chris Johnson's shoulder. If it is iffy they might want Janish instead of Constanza. But I don't think so given the option of bringing in Uggla (yes the thought of Uggla as a defensive replacement is a bit mind boggling) and moving Elliot Johnson to third.
    Is CJ's throwing shoulder hurt? I was watching from the 3B line Saturday and he was windmilling and shaking his arm while taking IF between innings.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts
    Heyward
    Justin
    Freeman
    CJ/Gattis
    Mac
    Gattis/CJ
    Simmons