Thread: Heyman's thoughts on Brian Snitker

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    531 Posts

Heyman's thoughts on Brian Snitker

He thinks he is back for 2018. I am not enthralled with his replacement choices either. We may as well go into 2018 with Snitker if those two are the top two in line.

4. Brian Snitker, Braves. Braves president John Hart and GM John Coppolella have been pretty supportive, and there’s no reason to think the team was ready to do any better than this. Not yet, anyway. However, there’s a little drama at the top of the team hierarchy, according to a report in The Athletic, though there’s no reason to suspect that will change the thinking on the manager, which seems mostly positive at this point. There were times the higher-ups questioned certain things (i.e. Snitker was very candid when removing Jim Johnson from the closer role two days before the trade deadline), but the team has been much better with Snitker, a beloved longtime company man, overall. The team holds an option, and if they do want to make a change, there are two good ready-made veteran candidates in house: Ron Washington and Bo Porter. - jon heyman

https://www.fanragsports.com/mlb/ins...-the-hot-seat/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    Exactly. What's the point in firing the manager if they are just going to hire another bad manager.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-02-2017), Tapate50 (09-02-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    In reading many threads on this board, the over all problem appears to be pitching. Of those suggested to be traded are mostly pitchers except for the obvious Kemp, Markakis, and Matt Adams.

Has anyone really looked at the Braves pitching problems? J.Johnson's regression, Julio's regression, the lack of progress to being an MLB elite pitcher by Folty, and the poor development of Sims, Newcomb, Wisler, and many others to MLB competent pitchers. They have been developed as throwers, not pitchers,

Who is responsible for poor development?? Chuck Hernandez

Who is Hernandez? He was the Braves MiLB roving pitching coordinator in '16. Prior to that he was pitching coach in Miami('13-'15). With the like of Jose Fernandez, Alvarez, Koehler and Haren on the staffs, how could it not be possible to have success? Moving on, he was an assistant coach at U of S.Fla.

Stops in the GCL and Cleveland(BP coach), and from '06 to '08 was coach at Detroit(Verlander rookie year) and 9 years with Rays as MiLB coach and 2 years as MLB pitching coach.

Not a sterling resume. Only 3 year MLB PC stint was in Miami, all other MLB PC stints were 2 years or less.

J. Johnson made a statement that the only reason he signed 2 year deal was to pitch under McDowell(great sinker guy).Hernandez has been unable to take a very young staff and make pitchers out of them. Even Folty and Julio are now throwers. Extremely high pitch counts are causing many problems. Has been a topic of concern by our broadcast crew more and more. Sims "Ford Keys to success" today(game 3 vs Cubs) was to keep pitch count at 15 PPI. 15 is 3 higher than Leo promoted. Sims actual PC was 73(39 strikes) in 3 IP(24 PPI avg).

If you're going to fire people, JS has drawn a great amount of ire on this board,, Hernandez needs to be the 1st to go IMO.
    Last edited by salmagundy; 09-02-2017 at 07:01 PM.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to salmagundy For This Useful Post:

Garmel (09-02-2017), jpx7 (09-02-2017), The Chosen One (09-04-2017)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Exactly. What's the point in firing the manager if they are just going to hire another bad manager.
    Pretty much. Though I suppose if we hired Washington and sucked in 2018 we could just fire him after the season and hire a real manager for 2019, could think of it as proactively getting Washington out of the way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I wish we had an owner that held people accountable. Steinbrenner, Angelo, etc would have cleaned house already. JS and Bobby I'm afraid are a big reason for the way of thinking. We will be better when they're gone imo.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (09-02-2017)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Funny you should say that because that's exactly what they did.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NinersSBChamps For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (09-03-2017), jpx7 (09-02-2017), sc1767 (09-02-2017)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I wish we had an owner that held people accountable. Steinbrenner, Angelo, etc would have cleaned house already. JS and Bobby I'm afraid are a big reason for the way of thinking. We will be better when they're gone imo.
    Actually, they did have such an owner. After first acquiring the club, Ted Turner fancied himself as sort of a baby Steinbrenner by regularly firing managers. The difference being there was that post-season success did not occur south of the Mason-Dixon. When that strategy ceased...and they became a model franchise, partly because of stability. Later on, they lived off reputation as a "pitching factory." Not coincidentally, first round exits were the norm because it'd already been several years since the last rebuild.

Eventually, Schuerholz and Cox will retire for good. Hart is still rather tight with JS, and he tends not to stay in one place for very long. Some combination of JS retiring and an organizational confidence in Coppolella to fly solo, then Hart will go back to MLB Network or relax at some spot in Florida for a while.

At any rate, people need to put this all into context after it's completed. They still got some waves of pitching. Outside (and impartial) perspectives perceive the more intriguing prospects to at the lower levels. At this forum, a thread was set up that claims Gohara has a greater chance of success than Allard. (Only here!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    At this forum, a thread was set up that claims Gohara has a greater chance of success than Allard. (Only here!)
    sez one of Bartolo Colon's (6.24 ERA in 2017 to use a quaintly anachronistic way of looking at things) last and stoutest defenders. The internet has a long memory. We will see about Gohara.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    sez one of Bartolo Colon's (6.24 ERA in 2017 to use a quaintly anachronistic way of looking at things) last and stoutest defenders. The internet has a long memory. We will see about Gohara.
    We most definitely will see. Meantime, it's not necessary to deflect. Colon has nothing to do with it, although his '17 ERA would present a reasonably accurate snapshot of performance. This, however, is a different matter.

It's impress me more if you actually saw either of these individuals pitch, give your own impression, and then consider their future prospects. Otherwise, there's at least a need to understand the thought process behind the claims. What exactly do you see in Gohara that you don't in Allard?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    We most definitely will see. Meantime, it's not necessary to deflect. Colon has nothing to do with it, although his '17 ERA would present a reasonably accurate snapshot of performance. This, however, is a different matter.

It's impress me more if you actually saw either of these individuals pitch, give your own impression, and then consider their future prospects. Otherwise, there's at least a need to understand the thought process behind the claims. What exactly do you see in Gohara that you don't in Allard?
    did you read my answer the first time you asked this question...its on page 3 of this thread

http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7359
    Last edited by nsacpi; 09-04-2017 at 12:30 PM.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Unlike last winter, there doesn't seem to be other standout candidates, so I'd have to agree there's no urgent need for a change - Snit has been pretty good overall, and more importantly than the players playing hard for him, the young players seem to respond well to him.

If Ned Yost decides he doesn't want to hang around in KC since their system's so barren all bets are off though - I'd be thrilled if they could scoop him up.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    did you read my answer the first time you asked this question...its on page 3 of this thread

http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7359
    Not until now. Notifications are not easy to access from the phone. Plus, a few days ago, a couple members from The Ignored triggered the notifications. So, sorry to have missed it.

Don't want to derail this thread too much, esp. with this issued being discussed elsewhere. Think that the comparison is rather arbitrary anyway. Big hopes are pinned on Allard, while Gohara was always viewed as a gamble (because of the fastball). Would like to hear from others, who've seen him to gauge reaction.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Not until now. Notifications are not easy to access from the phone. Plus, a few days ago, a couple members from The Ignored triggered the notifications. So, sorry to have missed it.

Don't want to derail this thread too much, esp. with this issued being discussed elsewhere. Think that the comparison is rather arbitrary anyway. Big hopes are pinned on Allard, while Gohara was always viewed as a gamble (because of the fastball). Would like to hear from others, who've seen him to gauge reaction.
    no problem...i thought you might have missed it

18. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (09-04-2017)