Page 9 of 425 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Global Events & Politics Überthread

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    You're quoting an anti-Semite and Holocaust denier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Does that make his reporting inaccurate?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,741 Posts
    If it's the best source you got, yes.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    To be fair, I have also quoted Nancy Pelosi.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (10-23-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Does that make his reporting inaccurate?
    I'm not speaking to the relative accuracy of his reporting, though I would tend to be skeptical.

My point is that there is a whole lot of complaining about accusations of various -isms from the left but it seems rather hard to avoid when voices like that get mainstreamed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I'm not speaking to the relative accuracy of his reporting, though I would tend to be skeptical.

My point is that there is a whole lot of complaining about accusations of various -isms from the left but it seems rather hard to avoid when voices like that get mainstreamed.
    I think this is the reporting of an important and drastic shift that has happened in Europe. Whatever the left wants to say it has not gone well. Thats an understatement.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    This is a few days old now:

http://time.com/4990765/sweden-bombs/

The bombs:
    No one was reportedly injured or killed in any of the incidents.
    Overnight on Oct. 13, a strong explosion caused extensive damage to an apartment building in the Swedish city of Malmö, which has been experiencing a rise in gang violence and gun murders. In January, the area police chief called for the public's help in clamping down on mafia-like activity.
    On Oct. 16, police, forensics experts and bomb technicians rushed to the scene after an explosion caused by a suspected car bombing in Malmö.
    An explosion at a police station in Helsingborg on Oct. 18 damaged the station entrance, and shattered windows of nearby buildings. Police have blamed the attack on criminal networks.
    The town of Norrköping was placed on lockdown on Oct. 18 after reports of a suspected car bomb.
    Around 9:30pm on Oct. 19, police received a distress call about a suspected explosive in the stairwell of an apartment building in Malmö.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    https://www.thelocal.se/20171022/swe...at-against-bar

A 21-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after throwing fire bombs through the window of a bar in the town of Ängleholm in the early hours of Sunday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    To be fair, I have also quoted Nancy Pelosi.
    I'm not throwing stones at you particularly, just figured it's worth pointing out.

Perhaps that just a little less snowflakery about accusations of racism might be in order if you, collectively, are going to continue to play footsie with these people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    And if all that wasn't enough to show how troubled Sweden is, there is this:

http://kutv.com/news/offbeat/sweden-...ny-mctrainface

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I'm not throwing stones at you particularly, just figured it's worth pointing out.

Perhaps that just a little less snowflakery about accusations of racism might be in order if you, collectively, are going to continue to play footsie with these people.
    I know nothing about the guy and have never noticed his name before today. That was the one link I could find that mentioned all of the blasts together and I didn't feel like piecing it together with 5 or 6 links. But yeah, had I known he was crazy I would have avoided it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Like I said, that wasn't meant to be personalized to you... you are obviously a person of good sense and good will.

But there's a larger point to be made here about how, in the mainstreaming of the various flavors of anti-"globalist," anti-immigrant, alt-right nationalist types, people who would quail at proximity to an neo-Nazi with SS tattoos on his forehead will basically apologize for someone with a similar ideology who's just a degree or two more coy about how they deploy it.

I saw a lot of that in the Charlottesville thread, and in the reaction to the Milo buzzfeed story that I posted. There's a whiff of uncomfortable and unsatisfying denialism in the various apologia for why a large component of Trumpism isn't white backlash.

Trump and Trumpism is propelled by this trash, and always has been. I just wish that more people were willing to argue their bit while still being capable of acknowledging it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    While a good point I think it muddles that actual issue at hand. Islamic migration has not worked well for Europe.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,741 Posts
    And if all that wasn't enough to show how troubled Sweden is, there is this:

http://kutv.com/news/offbeat/sweden-...ny-mctrainface

Guess the state!
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post

Guess the state!
    That's amazing.

Mississippi? Tennessee?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    That's amazing.

Mississippi? Tennessee?
    Oh I missed the Drew Brees nomination. Has to be Louisiana right?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Trump and Trumpism is propelled by this trash, and always has been. I just wish that more people were willing to argue their bit while still being capable of acknowledging it.
    Perverse iterations of fascism/nationalism exist at the far-right of the political spectrum. It's called the lunatic fringe. It is what it is - and it's been acknowledged, and condemned, in multiple threads (most prominently in the Charlottesville thread).

These ideological subsets are a minority. They do not propel Trump and Trumpism. They do not represent Trump and Trumpism.

Insinuating that there's some sort of bi-directional affiliation of beliefs between neo-Nazis and mainstream right-leaning ideology is disingenuous. Pretending that right-leaning thinkers are torn between denying that neo-Nazis exist and apologizing for their existence is just a cheap pressure point that you have been feebly trying to mash since the election (the Breitbart/alt-right connection is overplayed).
    Last edited by Hawk; 10-23-2017 at 01:45 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

sturg33 (10-23-2017)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Perverse iterations of fascism/nationalism exist at the far-right of the political spectrum. It's called the lunatic fringe. It is what it is - and it's been acknowledged, and condemned, in multiple threads (most prominently in the Charlottesville thread).

These ideological subsets are a minority. They do not propel Trump and Trumpism. They do not represent Trump and Trumpism.

Insinuating that there's some sort of bi-directional affiliation of beliefs between neo-Nazis and mainstream right-leaning ideology is disingenuous. Pretending that right-leaning thinkers are torn between denying that neo-Nazis exist and apologizing for their existence is just a cheap pressure point that you have been feebly trying to mash since the election (the Breitbart/alt-right connection is overplayed).
    As I've tried to explain many many many times... the reason I don't spend half my day worrying about the neo-nazis is because they are such a fringe lunatic group that they don't even deserve our attention to give them a platform.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Homey, please. Half of your posts in the Charlottesville thread
    were trying to distinguish between those who were Nazis or Nazi-adjacent, and those who merely cuddle up to those who are are either or both.

And I reference the BuzzFeed Breitbart piece because it explicitly, and with direct sources, connects that particular outlet with literal Nazi sympathizers and white supremacists.

You're quite on record white-knighting for the alt right. So maybe you could tell me, with some names, who is part of the "lunatic fringe" and who's ok?

And are you no longer an advocate of "postfascism"?

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Homey, please. Half of your posts in the Charlottesville thread
    were trying to distinguish between those who were Nazis or Nazi-adjacent, and those who merely cuddle up to those who are are either or both.

And I reference the BuzzFeed Breitbart piece because it explicitly, and with direct sources, connects that particular outlet with literal Nazi sympathizers and white supremacists.

You're quite on record white-knighting for the alt right. So maybe you could tell me, with some names, who is part of the "lunatic fringe" and who's ok?

And are you no longer an advocate of "postfascism"?
    And all of your posts were (and apparently still are) concentrated on conveniently lumping everyone involved in that 'protest' into the same pile. Which seems really lazy to me.

If you earnestly believe that everyone at that rally was either a neo-Nazi (or a chicken**** white supremacist apologist) then there's really no discussion to be had here.

I don't believe that, and I believe that the underlying issue was - at the very least - worthy of thoughtful protest/debate/free speech exercise. That's the extent of it. You keep lapsing back to this, "Well, who?!" pivot - it's simple: You put race baiters, neo-Nazis, and supremacists here and you put people who don't advocate for or espouse those beliefs there. As I said, the belief system is not bi-directional. In fact, I'd suggest that it runs downhill.

Anyways, what truly needs discussion here is your comment that neo-Nazis and white supremacists "propel" Trump and Trumpism.