Thread: antitrust policy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,542 Posts

antitrust policy

The hottest iPhone app in America may owe its popularity to government crackdowns on Apple.

That app, Delta, lets you play old-school video games like “Super Mario Bros.” on an iPhone.

Apple had banned apps like it for years but un-banned them this month without much explanation. Delta’s creators say growing anti-monopoly pressures were responsible for Apple’s flip-flop.

https://wapo.st/4aTsDHB
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,542 Posts
    a little dated but a good look at consolidation in the healthcare industry and the effects on consumers

https://www.promarket.org/2021/06/02...s-competition/

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,542 Posts
    The biggest U.S. challenge so far to the vast power of today’s tech giants is nearing its conclusion.

On Thursday and Friday, lawyers for the Justice Department, state attorneys general and Google will deliver their final arguments in a yearslong case — U.S. et al. v. Google — over whether the tech giant broke federal antitrust laws to maintain its online search dominance.

The government claims that Google competed unfairly when it paid Apple and other companies billions of dollars to automatically handle searches on smartphones and web browsers. Google insists that consumers use its search engine because it is the best product.

In the coming weeks or months, the judge who has overseen the trial in U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, Amit P. Mehta, will deliver a ruling that could change the way Google does business or even break up the company — or absolve the tech giant completely. Many antitrust experts expect he will land somewhere in the middle, ruling only some of Google’s tactics out of bounds.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/02/t...smid=url-share

There is irony here. The antitrust lawsuit against Microsoft decades ago created the space for Google to grow and thrive as a company.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,542 Posts

"I am your retribution."