Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Albies

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    The power looks legit. His hit tool is off the charts.

A comparison to swAnson is not fair either when you look at the BB%/K%.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    ...that's what people are using to say the FO was lukewarm on Albies? He wasn't "gushing" but he didn't put him down either. Albies objectively did/does have to improve from the left side. Simply stating that means nothing. He "gushed" about Camargo during that. Does that mean he likes Johan better than Ozzie? People read into that stuff what they want to.
    I am pretty pozzi, but I came away from that interview with a befuddled feel as to why Hart was so up on Jo-gun and even pumped Swanson, but oh yeah Ozzie and we need to see him. I really felt it was not what a FO should be doing to pump a top prospect. it was like he didn't believe in him.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I saw a graphic that said the Braves offense was at the top of MLB (around the top) for the last month. If we can get some sort of consistent starting pitching then we might have a team that is fun to watch. Would love to have both our corner OF be younger..
    One side taken care of. Just gonna have to hope kemp or Markakis can be somewhat productive in left

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,703 Posts
    I am pretty pozzi, but I came away from that interview with a befuddled feel as to why Hart was so up on Jo-gun and even pumped Swanson, but oh yeah Ozzie and we need to see him. I really felt it was not what a FO should be doing to pump a top prospect. it was like he didn't believe in him.
    Justifying a trade to his fanbase

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    He also displayed no awareness of the implications of the fact that Ozzie is three years younger than Swanson and Camargo. That means a lot in terms of how much development he has ahead of him.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    One side taken care of. Just gonna have to hope kemp or Markakis can be somewhat productive in left
    I would be in favor of a D-Pete LF. I would happily swap offense for defensive upgrade. Our pitchers need to be confident that if they make mistakes the guys behind them can pick them up.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post

Actually Swanson's K and BB rate in the second half look very good. There are three differences between Swanson and Albies from a baseball point of view. One is base running. Power is the second. And the most important is the 3 year age difference.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    I saw a graphic that said the Braves offense was at the top of MLB (around the top) for the last month. If we can get some sort of consistent starting pitching then we might have a team that is fun to watch. Would love to have both our corner OF be younger..
    The offense is coming together nicely. I think what we've seen from Swanson and Camargo in the second half is sustainable. Albies is the real deal, and Acuna will provide a boost at some point next year. The FO will need to maintain some patience in letting the pitching develop. I hope they avoid the temptation to go for that big name starter.

"I am your retribution."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    The offense is coming together nicely. I think what we've seen from Swanson and Camargo in the second half is sustainable. Albies is the real deal, and Acuna will provide a boost at some point next year. The FO will need to maintain some patience in letting the pitching develop. I hope they avoid the temptation to go for that big name starter.
    me too.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atl717 View Post
    Albies has emerging power. I definitely think hes capable of an iso around .150. His plus hit tool allows that power to play up as well as his speed.
    Albies' ISO is a bit inflated due to his 40% fly ball rate coupled with the fact he has gotten lucky on fly balls.

Over time I expect him to hit fewer fly balls, hit more line drives, and once his luck normalizes to produce right around where he's producing now overall. He is a legit 4+ win player, though maybe not immediately next year.

He will slump at some point, and it will be amusing to see the board melt down about how he needs to be sent down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Actually Swanson's K and BB rate in the second half look very good. There are three differences between Swanson and Albies from a baseball point of view. One is base running. Power is the second. And the most important is the 3 year age difference.
    The hesitancy was that swAnson was real good last year in his short stint so we can pump the brakes on albies.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    The hesitancy was that swAnson was real good last year in his short stint so we can pump the brakes on albies.
    What is this pump the brakes stuff. Albies, Swanson and Camargo are showing us the future. The dawn of a new day.

We have a diverse dynamic young competitive infield. The promotional campaign writes itself. Freddie and the Can Cans. The FO should be jumping all over this and using it to pump up attendance.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    What is this pump the brakes stuff. Albies, Swanson and Camargo are showing us the future. The dawn of a new day.

We have a diverse dynamic young competitive infield. The promotional campaign writes itself. Freddie and the Can Cans. The FO should be jumping all over this and using it to pump up attendance.
    You know me...I don't have breaks.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    ...that's what people are using to say the FO was lukewarm on Albies? He wasn't "gushing" but he didn't put him down either. Albies objectively did/does have to improve from the left side. Simply stating that means nothing. He "gushed" about Camargo during that. Does that mean he likes Johan better than Ozzie? People read into that stuff what they want to.
    I agree. I don't see how this is a big deal. GM's are like politicians. Nothing they say is what they actually mean. I wouldn't look too much in to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I agree. I don't see how this is a big deal. GM's are like politicians. Nothing they say is what they actually mean. I wouldn't look too much in to it.
    I just think the comparison with what they say about Camargo, Swanson, Acuna and others relative to what Hart said about Albies is striking

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts

Hit tool off the charts? Really?

Gwynn and Ichiro had an 80 hit tool, but Albies is off the charts!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    You also have to keep in mind that Albies has done this throughout his entire professional career. But is a pure hitter with almost no flaws in his swing.

I like Swanson, but he's not shown to be anywhere near the hitter Albies has been.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Why? A prospect is supposed to show consistency and several skillsets. Albies checked the boxes even more than Swanson so it's an indictment on the judgement of our FO were they not "sold" on Albies. Summarily I've been blessed enough to actually talk to a few opposing scouts in Rome and a few other affiliates I visit each year. They all unanimously thought Albies was better than Swanson except arm. (Blessed that we have both).

Wonder if it was Hart's opinion alone or Coppy? Last year, when Ozzie was doing well, they even said they wanted to let him mature more...although he was good at AA and ok at AAA.
    Last edited by Deester11; 09-13-2017 at 11:55 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Albies is and always was phenomenal.

And he will go through a period, either to end this year or at some point next year, where he will struggle. We just need to keep running him out there every day no matter what and he will be just fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Why? A prospect is supposed to show consistency and several skillsets. Albies checked the boxes even more than Swanson so it's an indictment on the judgement of our FO were they not "sold" on Albies. Summarily I've been blessed enough to actually talk to a few opposing scouts in Rome and a few other affiliates I visit each year. They all unanimously thought Albies was better than Swanson except arm. (Blessed that we have both).

Wonder if it was Hart's opinion alone or Coppy? Last year, when Ozzie was doing well, they even said they wanted to let him mature more...although he was good at AA and ok at AAA.
    I'm not being hesitant. It was in response to Russ's post. I don't think Swanson last year is comparable to Albies this year. I'm pro-albies here sir.
    Natural Immunity Croc