Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Albies

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I'm not being hesitant. It was in response to Russ's post. I don't think Swanson last year is comparable to Albies this year. I'm pro-albies here sir.
    I see!!!! My post was probably more of an indictment of the FO handling of a few things. Albies is one. He deserved his promotion and they should have left Swanson where he was to get more seasoning...in any case, Albies is a special player in my eyes.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    If it means anything I hope it's that they attempting to sell high on Camargo.
    Would personally love for the Cardinals to be as high as the board is on Camargo at the moment. He's a better defensive SS than anyone in their system, and I just get the feeling that they're going to make their splash this winter with a J. D. Martinez addition. They've got plenty of MLB-ready OF depth, and a Camargo-Piscotty deal would free-up a little money for them to add a serious middle of the order bat like Martinez.

Pretty funny, really - there was a Cardinals' fan that called in on XM a while ago talking about how much he'd love to have Johan. Probably not as much as I'd like to have an Inciarte/Acuna/Piscotty outfield through 2022 since I think this is just a blip and winds up being Piscotty's "off-year'.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I was always higher on Albies than I was Swanson.

I also saw both the Hart interview and the substantially similar interview Chipper gave during the season. Both interviews suggested that a 19 year old prospect had things to work on in the minors. I think that probably was and is right. Neither interview in any way suggested the Braves were not high on him. Neither interview in any way rated Albies in comparison to Swanson or Camargo.

At the time of the Hart interview, I believe Swanson and Camargo were in the majors, which is one reason why a front office man might sing their praises.

Albies being rumored to having been discussed in trades is not a bad thing. Albies in fact has not been traded for anything. That's also not a bad thing. The disaster scenarios that go around here seem to actually have happened or might as well have happened in some minds. I don't get it.

Ozzie Albies is no more an untouchable under any circumstance player than Swanson or Inciarte. It's hard to see a deal that would make sense at the moment for him, but that doesn't mean his name should never come up.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-13-2017), Super (09-14-2017)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    September stats are pretty much garbage time due to expansion, but the longer Albies goes without spiking in K's (games against a beast like Scherzer get discounted a little bit), the more impressive his stretch gets...heck, his August taste was already better than Swanson's was and August is NOT garbage time.

My guess is that he falls off next year and may have a struggle period but it won't be hitting .150 through the entire month of April like a certain shortstop did (who I think has overcome that but...still, shouldn't have been up at all last year and should've been given more time to cook this year). It'll be something like a period of .220's because his hitting tool is simply better than Dansby's. And I will be here and own up to it if I'm wrong.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I was always higher on Albies than I was Swanson.

I also saw both the Hart interview and the substantially similar interview Chipper gave during the season. Both interviews suggested that a 19 year old prospect had things to work on in the minors. I think that probably was and is right. Neither interview in any way suggested the Braves were not high on him. Neither interview in any way rated Albies in comparison to Swanson or Camargo.

At the time of the Hart interview, I believe Swanson and Camargo were in the majors, which is one reason why a front office man might sing their praises.

Albies being rumored to having been discussed in trades is not a bad thing. Albies in fact has not been traded for anything. That's also not a bad thing. The disaster scenarios that go around here seem to actually have happened or might as well have happened in some minds. I don't get it.

Ozzie Albies is no more an untouchable under any circumstance player than Swanson or Inciarte. It's hard to see a deal that would make sense at the moment for him, but that doesn't mean his name should never come up.
    Isn't a little funny to notice that some of the folks screaming how Albies should be considered "untouchable" are the same ones who are at the forefront of the "trade Freeman" discussions - and have been all along?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Isn't a little funny to notice that some of the folks screaming how Albies should be considered "untouchable" are the same ones who are at the forefront of the "trade Freeman" discussions - and have been all along?
    I'm curious, care to name who these folks are?
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-14-2017)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    I will be the first to admit I was wrong. I wanted to trade Freeman during the firesale. Hindsight is 20/20 and I'm glad we keep him. I just don't know how to feel about him getting older and more prone to injury towards the backend of his contract while we're almost done rebuilding.
    Forever Fredi

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-14-2017), jpx7 (09-14-2017), UNCBlue012 (09-14-2017)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    And for the record I also wanted to unload Tehearn before anyone else like Hey, Simba or Free.
    Forever Fredi

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I'm curious, care to name who these folks are?
    This. What sane Braves fan wanted that? And yes, I've always been on the Albies train. (No offense Fred) ha

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    This. What sane Braves fan wanted that? And yes, I've always been on the Albies train. (No offense Fred) ha
    Clv gonna clv

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Deester11 (09-14-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    To be fair FF and Oz are not entirely the same situation. So I am a bit confused by this statement
    Coppy

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

clvclv (09-14-2017), jpx7 (09-14-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    To be fair FF and Oz are not entirely the same situation. So I am a bit confused by this statement
    They aren't equivalent in any way.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-15-2017), Tapate50 (09-14-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    I will be the first to admit I was wrong. I wanted to trade Freeman during the firesale. Hindsight is 20/20 and I'm glad we keep him. I just don't know how to feel about him getting older and more prone to injury towards the backend of his contract while we're almost done rebuilding.
    There's nothing wrong with that IMO, it just goes further to prove the point that there are even situations in a rebuild that the brass may well wind up having to make someone "untouchable" regardless of the return. For all those who keep saying that's nonsense, it obviously isn't. It's not that the return you might get for someone might not blow you away - it's just that circumstances beyond the return dictate you can't trade a player.The Braves couldn't trade Julio before the new park opened and have Bartolo Colon make that start. They also can't trade Freddie because he means so much to the fanbase and the message doing so would send the message that you don't appreciate them re-signing to players you'd hope to extend on the cheap in the future. Longoria is another of those types of guys. Bryant and Rizzo are likely to be that way in Chicago.

I'm as big on Ozzie as the next guy, but he's simply not a "franchise player" - particularly when you have Ender to lead off and Dansby looking like he may yet live up to at least some expectations realistic people had for him. If Ozzie gets you that true "Ace", you have to listen on him - guys like Freeman, Longo, Rizzo, etc. not so much. It has to be a proven guy - not another prospect since ours are as good as there are - to involve Albies, but to make him off-limits if you're not convinced we already have an "Ace" in the system is crazy.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    I'd be willing to bet Albies posts a higher fWAR than both Swanson and Inciarte next year (barring injury).

Albies should be untouchable. He always should have been untouchable. I'll definitely ignore clv's brilliant player value analysis though, considering his past track record.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I don't know that I ever said it publicly, but I really expected Albies to flop. Hopefully he continues to prove me wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Albies should absolutely be off limits. He should retire a Brave!
    Ivermectin Man

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (09-14-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    I think trading Freeman in the fire sale would have made a lot of sense and I'm not sure that what he's done since necessarily means it would have been a huge mistake. The reason to trade him would have been the wasted prime years and the escalating salary as he enters his decline. If he continues to put up strong seasons the salary is fine, but if he doesn't then it might be a tad problematic. But my guess is that it works out fine for Atlanta as far as contract to production.

But maybe they'd have been better off with a package of prospects. I know a lot of folks opinions on that pretty well.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I'd be willing to bet Albies posts a higher fWAR than both Swanson and Inciarte next year (barring injury).

Albies should be untouchable. He always should have been untouchable. I'll definitely ignore clv's brilliant player value analysis though, considering his past track record.
    I love the guy. I would not make him untouchable. I would not have him in the Quintana deal like Coppy did.

His max value should be at SS. If we won't play him there and someone rightly sees him as a potential 5+ WAR SSS we could get a haul. But we shouldn't be trying to win the prospect rankings. IF we got that haul we'd have to get some ready to play and controllable guys. I just don't see that deal out there.

So maybe it's semantics. Obviously I'd trade him for Trout. But he's untouchable for any likely real world deal.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Left handed oppo shot at 20...we better sign that extension

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Russ2dollas For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (09-14-2017)

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Albies is untouchable. Plain and simple. We also need him for the Curaçao contingent. We already broke their hearts when we shipped off Simmons. Jurrjens didn't last long. Need Albies to do for us what Andruw did for the youth of Curacao. We want all their best to be Braves fans.
    Forever Fredi

29. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

Prikichi (09-15-2017)