Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: What should our lineup look like next year?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I predict many teams to not dabble in the big free agent market this off season. Not much there and most teams are going to wait just one more year. I too hope they don't dabble in this FA market call it cheap. Call it strategic. Just call me in on the idea.
    Now I see how to pozzy spin this...

The poor play in 2017 was masterfully orchestrated by Coppy so the Braves didn't have the payroll to waste money on FAs this year. That forces them to rebuild for 1 more year, which is what they should have done anyways. This was the only way Coppy could circumvent the meddling simpletons still in the FO.

That Coppy is one smart cookie!!

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    The part of that article that troubles me the most isn't what was said but what wasn't - yes he alludes to Albies in reference to mentioning Acuna forcing his way into the majors but heaps praise on Swanson's post-demotion play (without nary a reference to his struggles against sliders) but never once mentions Albies being a permanent fixture with the team.

If they trade Albies ....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ramadon101 For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (09-24-2017)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Theyre going to trade Acuna and Albies since they were Wren signings.

Just to prove that they only want Braves' Way players coming through the system to rep us.
    Forever Fredi

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I wouldn't read too much in to anything said this early in the offseason. Everything is politician speak.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    It wouldn't bother me as much if they traded Albies now. He has hit well and still has 6 years of service time left. That's a **** ton more valuable than a AAA prospect that you don't know how well they will adjust yo the majors. Just like Swanson was more valuable during the off-season because he hit well in the majors at the end of 2016.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I wouldn't read too much in to anything said this early in the offseason. Everything is politician speak.
    ooooooof course it is.

It's all spin talk until pozzies like the results. At that point, they meant it!

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    ooooooof course it is.

It's all spin talk until pozzies like the results. At that point, they meant it!
    How does this article speak to the Braves financials? Why would the braves swim in the deep end of the FA pool this year? We are not going for Darvish or Jake.. we have several young pitchers who need starts anyway. What positional players are we going for. 3rd? nothing exciting.. OF... nothing to over spend on. I think a lot o teams who have money to spend will not spend big on FA this year. I am not even saying you are wrong. I am saying this article doesn't prove you are right.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    How does this article speak to the Braves financials? Why would the braves swim in the deep end of the FA pool this year? We are not going for Darvish or Jake.. we have several young pitchers who need starts anyway. What positional players are we going for. 3rd? nothing exciting.. OF... nothing to over spend on. I think a lot o teams who have money to spend will not spend big on FA this year. I am not even saying you are wrong. I am saying this article doesn't prove you are right.
    oooooof course you don't.

You also aren't using this bit of info in context of every other bit of news we've gotten.

So don't worry. All is well in rebuildville!!

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Theyre going to trade Acuna and Albies since they were Wren signings.

Just to prove that they only want Braves' Way players coming through the system to rep us.
    Certainly, they want to put their own stamp on lineup construction. At the same time, roster changes aren't going to be based on whether or not Wren was involved. Obviously, there were Wren multiyear contracts removed, except for Freeman and Teheran, but philosophical differences are from the team's status. Remember Arab was a Schuerholz lieutenant, just like Dayton Moore (who's suddenly unpopular around here).

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

There is probably some financial journalism or sports biz journals that would be speak to things better, but extrapolating financial distress from that interview is puzzling.

The Liberty reporting for Q3 will be interesting in December.

Q2 Braves data looked ok from base line. The Braves were up 66% in profits from 2Q 2016 (before depreciation and amortization). They estimated that the Battery at 70% leased and the remainder of the project on schedule and budget.

Now they were up 37% in attendance through August 7 and looks like they are finishing at about 25% above, so they will not see the same increases in 3Q profits above 2016, but they are still going to be ahead (before depreciation and amortization).

They don't seem to break out the Battery from other operations, so it hard to figure how well that is doing.

Personally, I don't see the Braves as being a big market team again before they get a market rate television deal. They are in fact a big market, but they've been handcuffed.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    oooooof course you don't.

You also aren't using this bit of info in context of every other bit of news we've gotten.

So don't worry. All is well in rebuildville!!
    I see the clues that you guys are talking about, but I am not sure I follow all the way to the conclusions you are drawing from them.

Time will tell...

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    I see the clues that you guys are talking about, but I am not sure I follow all the way to the conclusions you are drawing from them.

Time will tell...
    The total payroll this offseason will tell us all we need to know. Anything less than $120M shows revenue is not meeting projections.

Of course pozzies still won't be willing to pull their head out of the sand. It's too warm and cozy in there.