Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Monument Bet

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Because celebrating our founding fathers and the president who oversaw the end of slavery is different than celebrating Confederates?
    Your white privilege smells like beef and cheese.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Because celebrating our founding fathers and the president who oversaw the end of slavery is different than celebrating Confederates?
    This is neither here nor there, but I don't think the "founding fathers" are particularly under-celebrated.

But I'm not sure why celebrating International Workers Day is more "insane" or dissonant than celebrating Confederate Memorial Day.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    This is neither here nor there, but I don't think the "founding fathers" are particularly under-celebrated.

But I'm not sure why celebrating International Workers Day is more "insane" or dissonant than celebrating Confederate Memorial Day.
    I don't know why you keep bring it up.

They're different things from different states.

They can both be insane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Alexandria’s Christ Church — an Episcopal parish George Washington attended for more than 20 years — recently decided to remove a plaque honoring our nation’s first president that has been displayed in the church’s sanctuary since 1870.

Church leaders argued that the memorial to Washington made some “feel unsafe or unwelcome.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I don't know why you keep bring it up.

They're different things from different states.

They can both be insane
    Because one exists, and has existed, fully entrenched in our society and the other...doesn't, currently. One is worth an O Tempora! O Mores! post, but the other one isn't?

An under-appreciated feature of this thread and this broader discussion is that some of these reactions--and, yes, sometimes performative over-reactions--are in response to historical inequities and injustices that some folks just don't want to address or account for. So my best advice is to do some hard questioning of the whys and wherefores without falling back on pure knee-jerk ideological reaction.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Because one exists, and has existed, fully entrenched in our society and the other...doesn't, currently. One is worth an O Tempora! O Mores! post, but the other one isn't?

An under-appreciated feature of this thread and this broader discussion is that some of these reactions--and, yes, sometimes performative over-reactions--are in response to historical inequities and injustices that some folks just don't want to address or account for. So my best advice is to do some hard questioning of the whys and wherefores without falling back on pure knee-jerk ideological reaction.
    One is relevant to the thread, the other isn't.

When we made this agreement, you were extremely confident that the founding fathers were safe and wouldn't be altered from the SJW crowd.

Now it's time to fall in line, i suppose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Oh, ok. Now we're concerned about relevance to the topic. As opposed to when I was responding about gun violence in the gun violence thread and you shrieked at me for not addressing employment discrimination against conservative white men.

I'll try to do better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    I mean, you asked him why he brought it up when you compare it against something else crazy.

The something else crazy has nothing to do with this thread