Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 9/13 GAME DAY thread ... Game Two vs Nats

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I think we trade Viz, sign a reliever, and then go youth the rest of the way. McGhee, Shaw, Reed, and Nicasio all make sense. McGhee would be my preference
    I'd like to trade Viz but it makes more sense at the deadline. Plus, I think Viz needs to establish that he can stay healthy. He should get a haul though if healthy.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I would prioritize a starting pitcher (along the lines of Cobb, Garcia or Lynn) and a catcher (would love to bring Suzuki back). Bullpen would not be a priority. Nor would third. I think we need to find out what we have in Camargo. If he doesn't pan out, there is another rebuilding national league team that we might match up very well in terms of them needing some pitching and us needing someone to play third. But I would give Camargo at least half of 2018 to show us what he's got.
    Who isn't in your rotation then out of Teheran/Folty/Newk/Fried/Gohara?

I'd love to load up on the pen and take advantage of the contendors premium at the deadline.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Who isn't in your rotation then out of Teheran/Folty/Newk/Fried/Gohara?

I'd love to load up on the pen and take advantage of the contendors premium at the deadline.
    I would go with a rotation of Dickey, Teheran, Folty, New FA signing, and one of Newk or Gohara at the start of next season. We have the funds to take some limited risks to build up talent at the major league level. A mid-level major league pitcher on a 2-3 year deal with an option makes sense with this team. Keep in mind that there is usually quite a bit of attrition to major league pitching rotations. This year has been unusual in not having injuries to anyone in the rotation.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I would go with a rotation of Dickey, Teheran, Folty, New FA signing, and one of Newk or Gohara at the start of next season. We have the funds to take some limited risks to build up talent at the major league level. A mid-level major league pitcher on a 2-3 year deal with an option makes sense with this team. Keep in mind that there is usually quite a bit of attrition to major league pitching rotations. This year has been unusual in not having injuries to anyone in the rotation.
    I can understand getting a FA arm to stabilize the rotation for a couple of years but what is the point of Dickey in a year we won't win the WS? I don't think teams will be lining up to trade for him.

Next year seems like the perfect year to get our young pitchers feet wet. Even with injuries there will still be an opportunity to supplement the rotation with guys like Wisler/Sims/Blair/etc.... Braves will certainly sign some AAAA fodder that can make a start or two if needed.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I can understand getting a FA arm to stabilize the rotation for a couple of years but what is the point of Dickey in a year we won't win the WS?
    For me a season doesn't have to culminate in a WS win to be worthy of trying to field a contending team.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    For me a season doesn't have to culminate in a WS win to be worthy of trying to field a contending team.
    How many wins do you think the Braves gain by having Dickey over someone like Fried/Newk/Gohara? What is the potential benefit of having those guys start in 2018?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    How many wins do you think the Braves gain by having Dickey over someone like Fried/Newk/Gohara? What is the potential benefit of having those guys start in 2018?
    For 2018 I would project Dickey at 1.5 wins. Gohara and Newcomb would be about the same. I think Fried would be replacement level or worse if placed in the rotation.

Aside from wins and losses, there is a service time benefit to having Gohara pitch a couple months in Gwinnett at the start of next season.

"I am your retribution."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    I don't get too jacked about September baseball and I think teams that overly weight late-season performance in their plans for the next season usually come to regret it. What I think we've seen that Albies looks to be real, Lane Adams should stay on the 40-man and go into spring training as the 4th OF, Camargo and Ruiz get a shot at 3B, and Winkler has made a strong case to be a contributor in the 2018 bullpen. If Gohara comes to spring training in shape, he has a chance to go north because of his stuff. Like nsacpi, I'm guessing they will look for some mid-level veteran insurance for the rotation.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I don't get too jacked about September baseball and I think teams that overly weight late-season performance in their plans for the next season usually come to regret it. What I think we've seen that Albies looks to be real, Lane Adams should stay on the 40-man and go into spring training as the 4th OF, Camargo and Ruiz get a shot at 3B, and Winkler has made a strong case to be a contributor in the 2018 bullpen. If Gohara comes to spring training in shape, he has a chance to go north because of his stuff. Like nsacpi, I'm guessing they will look for some mid-level veteran insurance for the rotation.
    I get the September argument... but do you all think Gohara faced the Gnats 4A lineup last night? Taylor in place of Harper (which is huge), but he pitched very well against a playoff team. I think we need to be careful about discounting that simply because it happened in September.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    I also wouldn't discount the offense last night. Max is going for a Cy young and had a sub 2.5 ERA. He didn't go out there with a whatever attitude. Last night the offense just grinded out some at bats like body blows to a boxer. When Dusty stupidly decided to send him out for the 7th, we applied the knock out punch.. Last night was a legit win against a good team.
    Coppy

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    I get the September argument... but do you all think Gohara faced the Gnats 4A lineup last night? Taylor in place of Harper (which is huge), but he pitched very well against a playoff team. I think we need to be careful about discounting that simply because it happened in September.
    The Nats clinched Sunday and they have the second seed pretty much locked up. They are by no means mailing it in, but they are probably taking a psychic break of sorts. Gohara pitched impressively and the Nats are good. I just tend to discount September baseball. I've seen too many decisions by the Braves and others based on September performance that didn't work out that well. That's not to say that all decisions based on September performance will turn out poorly.