Thread: Let's say we have to spend some money...

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts

Let's say we have to spend some money...

I've seen a lot of posts about staying put this offseason. Flowers has solidifed catcher at least for one more year if not extended, so a backup shouldn't cost much at all. Camargo and Ruiz have given enough of a reason to try and see what we have in them for 3B and if Riley could be ready sooner rather than later. Acuna will be in the OF at some point and one of Kemp or Nick will be traded.

So let's say we're at 90M for argument's sake with one of Nick/Kemp gone and picking up Dickey's option as well as keeping Adams. I don't think either of those 2 are set in stone. So we could have another $12M in the mix.

In 2019 we have $57M committed with Folty as the only unknown arbitration case of note. He'd be in his 2nd year of arbitration if he's still here. That includes Kemp who may be gone and Julio's $11M. I personally think Julio is traded as soon as his stock is up again, either this July or next offseason.

We don't know what the FO is being told. Do we save money and stay put or do we open it up to increase the gate? I don't think we would have made the 2 hires we did if we planned on staying put this offseason and pocketing the cash for next year. So, if we have the money and are being instructed to spend it where do we spend it? I don't think we'll be up near the $150M mark as some have hoped, but I think $130M is realistic. So, I think we'll have $40-$50M to spend this offseason dependong on some variables.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I think we'll spend about 20M on a starting pitcher and backup catcher. We might opt to go into spring training about 10M under budget. That way if an unexpected need comes up we don't have to ask the other team to pick up the player's salary the way with did with the Cardinals and Adams.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I've seen a lot of posts about staying put this offseason. Flowers has solidifed catcher at least for one more year if not extended, so a backup shouldn't cost much at all. Camargo and Ruiz have given enough of a reason to try and see what we have in them for 3B and if Riley could be ready sooner rather than later. Acuna will be in the OF at some point and one of Kemp or Nick will be traded.

So let's say we're at 90M for argument's sake with one of Nick/Kemp gone and picking up Dickey's option as well as keeping Adams. I don't think either of those 2 are set in stone. So we could have another $12M in the mix.

In 2019 we have $57M committed with Folty as the only unknown arbitration case of note. He'd be in his 2nd year of arbitration if he's still here. That includes Kemp who may be gone and Julio's $11M. I personally think Julio is traded as soon as his stock is up again, either this July or next offseason.

We don't know what the FO is being told. Do we save money and stay put or do we open it up to increase the gate? I don't think we would have made the 2 hires we did if we planned on staying put this offseason and pocketing the cash for next year. So, if we have the money and are being instructed to spend it where do we spend it? I don't think we'll be up near the $150M mark as some have hoped, but I think $130M is realistic. So, I think we'll have $40-$50M to spend this offseason dependong on some variables.
    I don't think there are many ppl out there worth spending money on.

If we had to spend money I would look to extend Swanson and Albies and front load that money more than usual. I'd consider throwing an extension at Acuna. I would double Flower's salary next year if I got the power of a couple of team options. I'd consider taking on someone's Markakis contract (1 year deal for big money) if I got a great asset.

I would not sign a free agent for more than 1 guaranteed year given our team and the FAs available.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts

If we are spending money, I'd say get a mid-level starting pitcher who can eat innings (and not like Bartolo, eat everything else). Other than that, I'd put some on the bottom line to extent Albies, Swanson, etc.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I Highly doubt we go after anyone with a QO. We value draft picks and bonus slot money too high. SO looking at the free agent class of those who have been traded it is a small list. There's a chance the Cardinals don't offer Lynn a Qo and a very good chance the Rays don't offer Cobb a QO. Then there are relievers like Mcghee and Shaw who can be added to the list as well. But here are the FA's that would start any list IMO since they cannot be offered a QO due to be traded this season.

Yu Darvish
    Jaime Garcia
    Jonathan Lucroy
    Neil Walker
    Todd Frazier
    Justin Upton
    JD Martinez
    Addison Reed
    Juan Nicasio
    Tony Watson

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think we'll spend about 20M on a starting pitcher and backup catcher. We might opt to go into spring training about 10M under budget. That way if an unexpected need comes up we don't have to ask the other team to pick up the player's salary the way with did with the Cardinals and Adams.
    I don't think adding an SP on a 3+ year deal is wise at this point, but I agree this is the most likely route the FO will take.

I could also see them giving Flowers a raise to the $8M range in 2018 in an effort to extend him 1-2 more seasons with additional options. He is easily worth $8M next year.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (09-14-2017), Jaw (09-14-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    I Highly doubt we go after anyone with a QO. We value draft picks and bonus slot money too high. SO looking at the free agent class of those who have been traded it is a small list. There's a chance the Cardinals don't offer Lynn a Qo and a very good chance the Rays don't offer Cobb a QO. Then there are relievers like Mcghee and Shaw who can be added to the list as well. But here are the FA's that would start any list IMO since they cannot be offered a QO due to be traded this season.

Yu Darvish
    Jaime Garcia
    Jonathan Lucroy
    Neil Walker
    Todd Frazier
    Justin Upton
    JD Martinez
    Addison Reed
    Juan Nicasio
    Tony Watson
    Agree with bold, disagree with underline.

Lynn is likely to command $90M this year. He will be getting a QO barring injury.

Cobb will likely get around a 3/50 deal, so a QO is a toss up with him. He is the highest cost "actually possible" option for the Braves if he is not given a QO. If not Cobb, look for the Braves to overpay an SP in the next lower FA tier.

Lucroy is an intriguing buy-low option, but I don't think the Braves will pony up the cash to sign him away from Colorado.

Walker and Frazier are interesting options at 3B, and if the Braves were pushing for a WC spot (as it appeared they would be when they were flirting with .500 this year) I would be in favor of signing them. However, since the Braves are closer to 75 wins than 85 wins in 2018, I have changed my mind and think they should "see what they have" with Ruiz and Camargo at 3B.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Agree with bold, disagree with underline.

Lynn is likely to command $90M this year. He will be getting a QO barring injury.

Cobb will likely get around a 3/50 deal, so a QO is a toss up with him. He is the highest cost "actually possible" option for the Braves if he is not given a QO. If not Cobb, look for the Braves to overpay an SP in the next lower FA tier.

Lucroy is an intriguing buy-low option, but I don't think the Braves will pony up the cash to sign him away from Colorado.

Walker and Frazier are interesting options at 3B, and if the Braves were pushing for a WC spot (as it appeared they would be when they were flirting with .500 this year) I would be in favor of signing them. However, since the Braves are closer to 75 wins than 85 wins in 2018, I have changed my mind and think they should "see what they have" with Ruiz and Camargo at 3B.
    Ruiz and Camargo are neither one sure things, and they don't come with the "can't miss" pedigree, but that is the case with many young guys that become MLB regulars. I agree with you guys that they are intriguing, show potential, and don't block anyone if they turn into pumpkins.

Besides, they are fun to watch and cheer for. The fans seem to like them, and they will bring some excitement to the team next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    my interest in guys like Lynn and Cobb obviously depends on terms...no qo, 13M AAV or so, 2-3 years possibly with option

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I don't think adding an SP on a 3+ year deal is wise at this point, but I agree this is the most likely route the FO will take.

I could also see them giving Flowers a raise to the $8M range in 2018 in an effort to extend him 1-2 more seasons with additional options. He is easily worth $8M next year.
    If it's 3 or more years, no thanks. I'd rather they dumpster dive to fill out the rotation for another year.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    I hope the FO doesn't spend just because they have the money. I would like to see them go into the season with 10 to 20 million to spend. I would really test the rebuild. My goal next year would be to see if the young guys are legit MLB players. If they are then you have money at the deadline to add someone to make a playoff push. If not you start thinking about rebuild 2.0 and buying a top prospect in a bad contract trade.

My only exception to no spending would be if I could buy low on Lucroy. I think extending flowers and buying low on lucory would be a good winter.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JxnMissFan For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (09-14-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    This question is harder than I thought.

Once I actually started looking at the roster it seemed there were fewer and fewer places you could add players.

i will say that I do not think the Braves should trade away major assets or make big investments in long term deals (unless those long term deals or trades are to young studs, which they are very unlikely to be).

But I think they do have to make some acquisitions that give them a hedge on contention if everything works out just so.

1. So I would look at a veteran starter (on short term deal) even if that meant my rotation ended up being Teheran, Folty, **Veteran, Gohara, Dickey. I would not worry too much about finding room for the young arms. Honestly, none of them really would be harmed by some more work in AAA and there is no need to push the ones behind them to come on any quicker. They are pretty young and giving yourself a shot at a solid to good rotation if everything broke correctly would be a good goal. If it doesn't break right, you can still promote the young players later. If it does great right, great. if you must find space, you are trading something with value. That works.

2. A high end reliever on short term deal. This might be too pricey, it might be too much of a luxury. And maybe the pen is already too crowed with the likes of Vizcaino, Johnson, Ramirez, Freeman, Jackson, Winkler, Minter, a swing man (Newcomb, Fried, Sims, Wisler, Blair?). And that doesn't really contemplate remaining veterans or guys like Morris or Cabrera. Still, if you could get that shut down guy, if not for the ninth then for the eighth, maybe that does help relieve the pen and secure a few more wins. This guy would probably be moveable. The Braves had a bad bullpen this year at times but oddly enough have a lot of pretty good looking pieces.

3. I'd probably still be open to that short term solution at 3B. Even knowing that will block Ruiz and Camargo and maybe Riley for awhile. But again, I think that if you can find a better player without sacrificing much beyond 2018 then it makes sense to try and do it. I don't have a great deal of faith in Ruiz, I think Camargo is probably a utility guy or an average middle infielder starter. If that is true, there is no real need to force them into playing time. You can see what you have by rotating players around. And it may well only be for half a season anyway.

4. I would not spend much on a backup catcher unless the candidate was just obvious. I'd probably not extend flowers, but could live with it if they did.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    This question is harder than I thought.

Once I actually started looking at the roster it seemed there were fewer and fewer places you could add players.

i will say that I do not think the Braves should trade away major assets or make big investments in long term deals (unless those long term deals or trades are to young studs, which they are very unlikely to be).

But I think they do have to make some acquisitions that give them a hedge on contention if everything works out just so.

1. So I would look at a veteran starter (on short term deal) even if that meant my rotation ended up being Teheran, Folty, **Veteran, Gohara, Dickey. I would not worry too much about finding room for the young arms. Honestly, none of them really would be harmed by some more work in AAA and there is no need to push the ones behind them to come on any quicker. They are pretty young and giving yourself a shot at a solid to good rotation if everything broke correctly would be a good goal. If it doesn't break right, you can still promote the young players later. If it does great right, great. if you must find space, you are trading something with value. That works.

2. A high end reliever on short term deal. This might be too pricey, it might be too much of a luxury. And maybe the pen is already too crowed with the likes of Vizcaino, Johnson, Ramirez, Freeman, Jackson, Winkler, Minter, a swing man (Newcomb, Fried, Sims, Wisler, Blair?). And that doesn't really contemplate remaining veterans or guys like Morris or Cabrera. Still, if you could get that shut down guy, if not for the ninth then for the eighth, maybe that does help relieve the pen and secure a few more wins. This guy would probably be moveable. The Braves had a bad bullpen this year at times but oddly enough have a lot of pretty good looking pieces.

3. I'd probably still be open to that short term solution at 3B. Even knowing that will block Ruiz and Camargo and maybe Riley for awhile. But again, I think that if you can find a better player without sacrificing much beyond 2018 then it makes sense to try and do it. I don't have a great deal of faith in Ruiz, I think Camargo is probably a utility guy or an average middle infielder starter. If that is true, there is no real need to force them into playing time. You can see what you have by rotating players around. And it may well only be for half a season anyway.

4. I would not spend much on a backup catcher unless the candidate was just obvious. I'd probably not extend flowers, but could live with it if they did.
    the deal with Flowers is that he's been sooo good and is so underpaid but he's older. He could fall off fast.

I'd try to extend him if I could buy some team options on the back end. If he's not up for that, then I'm with you and I'm not guaranteeing him 3+ years.

I think he's on the hook for 4 million next year. I'd pay him 10 million if it meant I could get 2 team options at 10 million a piece. If he plays like he has that is a bargain and you have a great framer for your young arms. If he ages out you can just cut him. He'd also be a major trade chip if a young catcher emerges.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    If we aren't going to re-sign Suzuki (whom I've loved watching this year), then I hope we get a left handed backup catcher so we can at least platoon.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    the deal with Flowers is that he's been sooo good and is so underpaid but he's older. He could fall off fast.

I'd try to extend him if I could buy some team options on the back end. If he's not up for that, then I'm with you and I'm not guaranteeing him 3+ years.

I think he's on the hook for 4 million next year. I'd pay him 10 million if it meant I could get 2 team options at 10 million a piece. If he plays like he has that is a bargain and you have a great framer for your young arms. If he ages out you can just cut him. He'd also be a major trade chip if a young catcher emerges.
    I'd rather pay him 8 million in 2018 and 4 million in 2019, then 4 million in 2018 and 8 million in 2019. If they could make that happen then sounds like a worthy goal.