Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 9/15 GDT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Assuming Newcomb can maintain his K rate, what does he have to get his BB rate down to be a likely success?
    A difference of 5 between strikeout and walk rate equates to about a 2 WAR pitcher if he makes 30 or more starts. A difference of 6 is very good. A difference of 7 or better is elite. Need to make a small adjustment for the AL.

For reference Teheran was at 6 last year and is around 4 this year. Folty has hovered around 5 the last two years. Newcomb is around 4.5 so far in his major league career. When he first started his major league trial I thought the odds of his making it as a major league starter were around 40%. Now I think they are around 60%. He's made 17 starts (half of a full season) and both fangraphs and baseball reference have him at 1 WAR
    Last edited by nsacpi; 09-16-2017 at 07:56 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Assuming Newcomb can maintain his K rate, what does he have to get his BB rate down to be a likely success?
    If we define "success" as a consistent 3+ Win guy, Newk probably has to get into Gio range: 3.5-4 BB/9.

This assumes he continues to throw the change like he did last night...a fringe average pitch that keeps RHers honest against his 2 plus pitches.

If he reverts to being a 2-pitch guy he probably needs plus command...something like 2.5-3 BB/9.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 09-16-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If we define "success" as a consistent 3+ Win guy, Newk probably has to get into Gio range: 3.5-4 BB/9.

This assumes he continues to throw the change like he did last night...a fringe average pitch that keeps RHers honest against his 2 plus pitches.

If he reverts to being a 2-pitch guy he probably needs plus command...something like 2.5-3 BB/9.
    Has Newcomb's Statcast numbers from last night been released yet? I know it's just one start but I'd like to know how last night's start compares to his others because he was noticeably better & was his best start of the year...

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts

I haven't seen the statcast on it yet, but his changeup last night looked like a ML average pitch. It was really encouraging. But I agree that his command has to vastly improve if he is going to remain a starter.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Newk averaged 95.6 with the FA last night, and 86.9 with the change. He threw that 45 grade change almost 20 times to RHed hitters.

These are exactly the kinds of improvements he needs to make to stick as a #3 or better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Newk averaged 95.6 with the FA last night, and 86.9 with the change. He threw that 45 grade change almost 20 times to RHed hitters.

These are exactly the kinds of improvements he needs to make to stick as a #3 or better.
    Is the change velocity the same as normal, but more effective bc of increase in fastball velocity?

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

Thanks I was wondering about his spin rate and movement as well & if it had improved any