Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 9/20 Braves @ Gnats

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Just because ... I'd to remind 50 that he thought calling up Minter was "incredibly dumb move." Yet another reminder that we should thank God that no one on this board is in the ATL front office.
    Gee rico. Thanks for being a jerk. It's not about Minter's ability. It's about the fact he didn't have to go on the 40-man roster over the winter and his presence on the roster may limit the Braves' flexibility in pursuing free agents or picking someone up in the Rule 5. I won't speak for Horsehide Harry and Enscheff, but I believe they agree with me on this point. There's nothing that Minter is showing now in relatively meaningless games that couldn't have been discerned in spring training 2018.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Gee rico. Thanks for being a jerk. It's not about Minter's ability. It's about the fact he didn't have to go on the 40-man roster over the winter and his presence on the roster may limit the Braves' flexibility in pursuing free agents or picking someone up in the Rule 5. I won't speak for Horsehide Harry and Enscheff, but I believe they agree with me on this point. There's nothing that Minter is showing now in relatively meaningless games that couldn't have been discerned in spring training 2018.
    A lot of people -- myself included -- agreed with you. Nothing has changed my opinion or could for the exact reasons you mentioned. In fact, I don't think anyone was against the move because of talent or being ready. It's all about 40-man numbers. Weird shot by rico here.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I think its fair to say Harry does. I don't sense Enscheff particularly cares though I'm sure he'd probably shrug and agree that the front office was stupid.

40 man concerns remain rather silly IMO in reference to this offseason. Lots of deadweight. As far as a Rule 5 candidate goes, the problem isn't the 40 man it would be the 25 man roster.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I think its fair to say Harry does. I don't sense Enscheff particularly cares though I'm sure he'd probably shrug and agree that the front office was stupid.

40 man concerns remain rather silly IMO in reference to this offseason. Lots of deadweight. As far as a Rule 5 candidate goes, the problem isn't the 40 man it would be the 25 man roster.
    And I'm not going to p*ss all over your opinion. I don't necessarily agree with it, but you have a right to have it without being dubbed a moron.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

I'm a little more ambivalent towards calling up pitchers because they are so likely to be hurt before hitting FA. Minter almost certainly will be on his way out of baseball with an injury before he hits FA that it doesn't matter if he's burning service time right now.

Same thing holds true for pitchers that are ~24 like Sims, Newk and Fried (and eventually Wright). The team already controls their 20s, and they are extremely likely to be injured or in severe decline by the time they hit FA, so there is little harm letting them "figure things out" at the MLB level on a losing team.

Someone like Gohara (and eventually Allard and Soroka) is a completely different story. Gohara is so young that he should be working on his clear weakness, the changeup, in AAA for at least another 10-15 starts.

I have zero worries about 40 man roster space. There are always a handful of useless/injured players that can be trimmed every single year. I wouldn't ever let it enter into the equation of when to promote a guy.