Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mark Bradley gets it; Re: Brian Snitker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,741 Posts
    I am fine with Cox being involved in the decisions so long as it's not a discussion about when to take a starting pitcher out of the game.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    This. Bobby pretty much has a title and that's it. His input holds some weight, naturally, but it's not like they have a WWBD handbook that they're using to make decisions.
    Cox's resume is a little more than just one title.

I doubt he's calling the shots to any degree in the front office now.

Taking shots at Bobby Cox is one of those things that I just don't understand about people. I liked to grouse about decisions as much as anyone but at the end of the day he was steady hand at the wheel of maybe the most consistent winner ever. Hard to feel too bad about that.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    "Dumbest article ever"

Lol.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

Taking shots at Bobby Cox is one of those things that I just don't understand about people. I liked to grouse about decisions as much as anyone but at the end of the day he was steady hand at the wheel of maybe the most consistent winner ever. Hard to feel too bad about that.
    I doubt Cox is calling shots at all.. but because he was lucky enough to be manager of one of the most talented teams in Atlanta history, a culture was set that we now must live by 15 - 20 years later. The whole "Braves Way" is a battle cry still being said. The rebuild was done around pitching and I would bet a large sum it was because the archaic powers of JS and Cox wanted it that way. (and I am not diss'in the rebuild).. I think the Braves are trying to relive the 90's and they will never get there. So in the mean time we get mediocre crap and continue to celebrate the accomplishments of the 90's so we won't forget and accept this 'Braves Way' mantra.
    Coppy

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,831 Posts

By "title" he meant "named role with little responsibility" in the front office, not "World Series victory" on his résumé.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Rosenthal at his new outlet (the Athletic- subscription required) doubles down on his prior article about some muted turmoil in the Braves FO. The more I read, the more I'm increasingly critical of current management. Their promotions scream of pressure out of desperation - as others here have pointed out - and that is a piss poor way to run a ballclub much less one who doesn't have a top 5 operating budget and cannot therefore afford gross mismanagement.

The scapegoat narrative will only work for so long.

Here's Rosenthal's latest: https://theathletic.com/108130/2017/...lling-changes/

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ramadon101 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (09-22-2017), jpx7 (09-22-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    By "title" he meant "named role with little responsibility" in the front office, not "World Series victory" on his résumé.
    Ha. Yes, I see that now. Never mind.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ramadon101 View Post
    Rosenthal at his new outlet (the Athletic- subscription required) doubles down on his prior article about some muted turmoil in the Braves FO. The more I read, the more I'm increasingly critical of current management. Their promotions scream of pressure out of desperation - as others here have pointed out - and that is a piss poor way to run a ballclub much less one who doesn't have a top 5 operating budget and cannot therefore afford gross mismanagement.

The scapegoat narrative will only work for so long.

Here's Rosenthal's latest: https://theathletic.com/108130/2017/...lling-changes/
    Watch out. rico might drag this post out in a couple of months and insinuate that you are an idiot to think this way.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Woof... this isn't a pretty light on the team, though Rosenthal doesn't ever shy away from interjecting his own opinions in the midst fact reporting so it's hard to disentangle what's conjecture and what's reality.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Woof... this isn't a pretty light on the team, though Rosenthal doesn't ever shy away from interjecting his own opinions in the midst fact reporting so it's hard to disentangle what's conjecture and what's reality.
    This is true. Lots of people have bones to pick for whatever reason, and use their resources to push their perspective. I don't know about Rosenthal, but I am not impressed that he keeps bringing this up, since we tend to hang on every word and try to make it mean something. Time will tell I am sure, but this type of rumor spreading bothers me.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mfree80 For This Useful Post:

Chico (09-23-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post

I think the through line is supposed to be that the Braves are sacrificing an organizational yes man who shouldn't have been hired in the first place (demoted by Wren) to distract from the fact that the team the FO put together this offseason played pretty much to their true talent level.

Second through line is that the Braves may not find someone like Snitker who is willing to be a "yes man" in their next search?. I didn't really get that whole coda.

My comment would be that it really just depends on what the front office expects from the manager. If what they expect is a manager who players young players, who takes advanced stats into consideration, and doesn't let Jim Johnson wreck game after game because he's the veteran pitcher with the closer tag then I feel like some folks might love a yes man.

Again, something like this could just be a matter of getting the organization rowing in the same direction.

Or it could be mismanagement from the top.

I'm glad my job isn't navigating the politics of the Braves/Liberty right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,526 Posts

I was talking about his job title.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see jpx cleared things up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I doubt Cox is calling shots at all.. but because he was lucky enough to be manager of one of the most talented teams in Atlanta history, a culture was set that we now must live by 15 - 20 years later. The whole "Braves Way" is a battle cry still being said. The rebuild was done around pitching and I would bet a large sum it was because the archaic powers of JS and Cox wanted it that way. (and I am not diss'in the rebuild).. I think the Braves are trying to relive the 90's and they will never get there. So in the mean time we get mediocre crap and continue to celebrate the accomplishments of the 90's so we won't forget and accept this 'Braves Way' mantra.
    "Lucky enough"

You realize that Bobby built that team and organization, right?

He also built the Blue Jays into a perennial playoff contender, and they likely wouldn't have won those two World Series in the 90's without him.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

auyushu (09-24-2017), Chico (09-23-2017), clvclv (09-22-2017)

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    314 Posts
    Shocked at the continued calls for the abandonment of the Braves Way. It won before it will again just have to show patience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Bradley interviews Coppolella. A lot of interesting info here.

First things first: The Braves are believed to be leaning toward keeping Brian Snitker as manager for next season. No final decision has been made, but Saturday’s luncheon meeting between Snitker and upper management generated, in general manager John Coppolella’s description, “productive conversation.”
    On whether the Braves feel comfortable with in-house rotation options for 2018: “It’s safe to say we won’t be playing in big free-agent pitching waters. We need to make a decision on R.A. Dickey’s option; he needs to make a decision on whether he’s coming back. He’s had a great year for us. He’s a great person. Out of respect for him, I think we have to see what happens on both sides. I don’t think we’re locked in either way. But we’re going to see our young players make their way up to Atlanta, and they’re going to be given opportunities.”
    On Jim Johnson, defrocked closer: “You might think I’m crazy, but I think Jim Johnson is going to have a big bounce-back year. Jim was really good up until around the break, and then he started to struggle. Jim’s in great shape. He’s got great stuff. He’s a good person … We think he’s going to have a much better season next year.”
    On the biggest offseason need: “I think we need bullpen. For sure one viable piece, possibly two.”
    http://markbradley.blog.myajc.com/20...h-will-change/

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

Hawk (09-24-2017), Managuarantano's Volunteers (09-24-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    I have mixed feelings abut the Snitker situation. I would definitely prefer a proven, top-tier MLB manager . . . but I have a hard time thinking of a anyone we could realistically lure here that fits that description. Absent that, Snitker is a reasonable option, albeit an uninspiring one.

This may be far-fetched, but I wouldn't mind somewhat of a conditional re-up with Snitker. In addition to ensuring that he'll cooperate with the FO on some basic analytic approaches to lineup construction and bullpen usage, Coppy should also insist that if he doesn't make the playoffs in 2018, he'll resign. Not sure Snitker would go for that, but I bet he might. The one scenario that I definitely want to avoid would be signing Snitker to a long-term contract this offseason.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    The whole Snitker thing really doesn't mean much either way. If he isn't here in 2018 it will be because the FO thought they needed a head to serve to Liberty and the public and no one in the FO was interested in it being theirs.

And, as far as rotation options it looks like he's lining up for a trade to acquire pitching. If you figure the top end FA SP to be Darvish and Arrieta followed by Lynn and Cobb and that they are out of the price range, then that leaves guys like Sabathia (Hart connection, 2018's Colon), Tillman, Lackey, Garcia, etc. Not really anything that moves the needle and certainly not obviously better than Dickey.

Coppy might be right about Johnson. He better hope so since they are paying him anyway. I just hope they don't do something stupid like throwing Krol to the curb without getting a long look at him in ST. Krol is cheap and LH and has had some success in the past. Relievers can be pretty volatile and holding on to Krol at least into ST is a smart move.

As for adding to the pen, I have said in the past that with the current market value for relievers that a smart rebuilding team would try to corner the market on the best relievers. To me, that makes sense IF you are rebuilding. If you are contending it probably also makes sense but only if you can afford the luxury.

The interesting thing to me is what he didn't say: how they will improve the OF from nearly worst in baseball to something much better; how they will address the hole at 3B; what they will do with Matt Adams; etc. Maybe he's getting smarter and not laying out everything that comes through his mind for public consumption. I just hope that is it and he doesn't not see the needs at those spots.
    Last edited by Horsehide Harry; 09-24-2017 at 08:05 PM.