Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Could Albies be a consistent .900 ops hitter?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    I would be happy if Albies just averages .800. If we could find a manager to utilize he and Ender's speed on the basepaths his value would be even better when you include defense.
    ready and waiting..
    Coppy

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (09-23-2017), Managuarantano's Volunteers (09-22-2017), Tapate50 (09-22-2017), The Chosen One (09-22-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsnores View Post
    I follow your reasoning, and I realize that Ozzie is a little guy, but are you completely discounting the idea that he may get stronger as he physically matures, and thereby increase those exit velocity numbers you cite? If I had to prognosticate, I couldn't disagree much with your expectations, but I wouldn't 100% discount the possibility that Albies could be a consistent .875-.900 or even better hitter. Likelihood? No. Possibility, yes. There is also a possibility that he could increase his walk rate a bit, decrease his strikeouts a little and increase his LD percentage. Again, I don't disagree with what you project, just with discounting any possibility at all that he could exceed it. He may also go all Heyward on us, and never be as good as it seems inevitable that he will be. Like you, I'll be happy with an annual four plus win player, but I'll still hope for more, especially until he settles into his career.
    For some reason BaseballSavant is having issues and I can't grab exit velocity data from 2015, but the data from 2016-2017 shows exit velocity increases year to year until a player reaches age 27, at which point it starts declining. There is very limited data available for 21 year olds, but it looks like Albies will probably increase his exit velocity by 1-2 MPH from the age of 22 to 27.

That increase in exit velocity makes him Mookie Betts if he doesn't change his batted ball profile. To be Altuve he needs to hit less FBs and increase his exit velocity. If nothing changes he is probably a faster Cozart.

I'm guessing more Betts, and less Altuve or Cozart. That is a very valuable player.

Last edited by Enscheff; 09-22-2017 at 04:13 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (09-23-2017), jpx7 (09-23-2017), Managuarantano's Volunteers (09-22-2017)

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Loving the analyses of Albies. Thanks Enscheff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Managuarantano's Volunteers View Post
    Loving the analyses of Albies. Thanks Enscheff.
    that you young padawan?

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    that you young padawan?
    So it is. I have returned to curse another player to leave another favorite team (jk, just found myself agreeing with you and Enscheff in like every discussion and therefore lurking instead of saying "Yeah, what he said.")
    AKA International Bonus Pool Slot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Managuarantano's Volunteers View Post
    So it is. I have returned to curse another player to leave another favorite team (jk, just found myself agreeing with you and Enscheff in like every discussion and therefore lurking instead of saying "Yeah, what he said.")
    So how's the beisbol in Managua
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    So how's the beisbol in Managua
    Surprisingly competitive, but the season just ended. I think Rivas just beat Leon for the championship (I watched like 10 seconds on television).

As far as USA beisbol, my internet is pretty terrible for streaming here, so I basically have to find the worst quality streams possible to use (the kind everyone else complains about because of quality, haha). I've mostly been following along with y'all for now and occasionally catching Newcomb. Only have one more beisbol season in the "dark", I suppose, so if I'm lucky I'll be in the US when we're actually good. Needless to say, I'm on board with Enscheff's "put off spending for another year" plan partially for selfish reasons, haha.
    AKA International Bonus Pool Slot

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    The first hitter is much more valuable.

The easiest path for Albies to become a better hitter is to stop hitting so many fly balls.
    I wouldn't be so sure about it, especially if his speed is going to go completely unused by the Braves.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    you don't have to play the same game the rest of us are, but I'd be interested in your thoughts on Albies
    Well, here's what you can do, since you apparently have all this free time! How about researching posting history and showing when these projections were anywhere close to accurate. By the time Albies has been in the majors for 4 years, this thread will have long been forgotten. At the same time, those who check in with Fangraphs on an hourly basis will not want their previous remarks brought back from the dead.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure about it, especially if his speed is going to go completely unused by the Braves.
    30 points in OBP is about 2x as valuable as 20 points in SLG.

I understand what you mean though. Albies can certainly develop either way. I hope he chooses the line drive hitting path.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Well, here's what you can do, since you apparently have all this free time! How about researching posting history and showing when these projections were anywhere close to accurate. By the time Albies has been in the majors for 4 years, this thread will have long been forgotten. At the same time, those who check in with Fangraphs on an hourly basis will not want their previous remarks brought back from the dead.
    I say this as someone who currently posts sparingly, and contributes even less, to the baseball side of these boards: What, exactly, are you contributing, baseball-wise, besides vacant biliousness?
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    no one does it better than Enscheff and stats/mathematics.

I think he is a programmer by trade like me.