Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Puerto Rico

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,782 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    The people who didn't want to wreck it on debris clogging the harbor. I mentioned that here, on page 2 of this thread, over a month ago:

I also posted an interview with naval Captain Jerry Hendrix on page 4 (over a month ago), where he talks about the challenges in using the Comfort in PR:

Was it revisionist when I brought it up on page 2 of this thread, over a month ago?

Their/my track record is looking pretty good.
    LOL 57 is out of this league

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Ah I remember that article. It was prompted by Hillary's tweet:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    who decided, by name, to leave the ship under utilized off shore for weeks ?
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    The Trump Administration's decision to send the Navy hospital ship, the USNS Comfort, to Puerto Rico seven days after Hurricane Maria struck, stands in sharp contrast to the speed with which which it was detached to Haiti after the 2010 earthquake.

The mammoth ship was docked Tuesday in its home port of Norfolk, Virginia, with a minimal crew, requiring up to five days to stock up and get underway. When reached by phone Tuesday afternoon, the commanding officer of the ship's hospital, Capt. Kevin D. Buckley, said, "The Comfort is ready to go, if the call comes."

Now that the orders have arrived, the goal is to stock the ship with personnel, food, water and medical supplies within 96 hours and get underway Friday. "There's a whole slew of equipment that has to be brought on board to accommodate the mission, primarily medical supplies," says the ship's spokesman, Bill Mesta, of the Military Sealift Command, the civilian maritime agency that runs the ship, while the Navy commands its hospital facility.
    The funny part here is this line:

When reached by phone Tuesday afternoon, the commanding officer of the ship's hospital, Capt. Kevin D. Buckley, said, "The Comfort is ready to go, if the call comes."
    Being immediately before this line:

Now that the orders have arrived, the goal is to stock the ship with personnel, food, water and medical supplies within 96 hours and get underway Friday. "There's a whole slew of equipment that has to be brought on board to accommodate the mission, primarily medical supplies," says the ship's spokesman, Bill Mesta, of the Military Sealift Command, the civilian maritime agency that runs the ship, while the Navy commands its hospital facility.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Again, you should be looking at alternative news and current event sources because your current ones are leaving you with pie on your face
    That's an interesting take on what has happened here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    who decided, by name, to leave the ship under utilized off shore for weeks ?
    57 since I know your true concern here is the people of Puerto Rico, not politics, I thought you would find this article from October 11th comforting. It seems that our sailors were able to come up with a way to get patients to the hospital ship, even though it was off shore.

http://www.marinelog.com/index.php?o...ico&Itemid=257

On October 6, however, the hospital suffered a generator failure, which endangered the lives of four critical care patients. Those patients, however, were medevaced to the Mercy-class Military Sealift Command hospital ship USNS Comfort (T-AH 20), underway near the coast of the Arecibo-Manati region of Puerto Rico

The medevac was undertaken by the amphibious assault ship USS Wasp (LHD 1) and USNS Comfort's detachments of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 22, the "Sea Knights."

"We are a mobile platform that can respond to the greatest area of need or act as a strut to help the Puerto Rican health system," said Capt. Kevin Buckley, commanding officer of the medical treatment facility onboard Comfort. "We are engaged and determined to relieve human suffering."

The hospital ship was able to respond by coordinating with U.S. Health and Human Services and the Puerto Rico Department of Health, who engaged in a Medical Summit onboard Comfort immediately upon the ship's arrival in Puerto Rico.
    USNS Comfort, with the assistance of Army Black Hawk helicopters, had medevaced critical patients from Ryder Memorial Hospital in Humacao, Puerto Rico two days prior, after its generator also failed.

USNS Comfort has treated 75 patients ranging from six months to 89 years in age and performed numerous procedures such as gastrostomy tube placement, colectomies, sacral-decubitus ulcer debridement, as well as treated for wounds, hernias and pneumonia.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    who decided to leave it in the harbor ?

I missed the name -- 75 people were treated which is great - but the ship has over a thousand beds and reports are hundred have shown up for care since it was brought to port.

Did i miss the name of who is co coordinating and decided to leave the ship in harbor ?

you have answered every other question short of this is the third hospital ship named Comfort
    Last edited by 57Brave; 11-02-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    This article was also interesting, as it addresses your point that the ship is hard to get patients to:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a8005346.html

Clinics on the island have been overwhelmed with patients since Hurricane Maria made landfall there, but patients and staff say they’re not sure how to start sending sick people over. The ship, the USNS Comfort, is sitting right off shore with just 13 per cent of its 250 beds in use nearly two weeks after it arrived.

The Comfort was deployed to Puerto Rico as a part of the US federal response to the storm, which devastated the island and left hospitals vulnerable to power outages, limited water supplies, and food shortages.

The Puerto Rico Department of Health gets to decide which patients can get care aboard the Comfort, but referrals have been minimal so far.

Ricardo Rosselló, the governor of the island, told CNN that the issue was not because a lack of infrastructure, or physical means of getting patients to the ship.

“The disconnect or the apparent disconnect was in the communications flow,” Mr Rosselló said. “I asked for a complete revision of that so that we can now start sending more patients over there.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    So now we can summarize the last two articles to address your concerns.

The ship, the USNS Comfort, is sitting right off shore with just 13 per cent of its 250 beds in use

The ship is close by with plenty of capacity. That's good news.

The medevac was undertaken by the amphibious assault ship USS Wasp (LHD 1) and USNS Comfort's detachments of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 22, the "Sea Knights."

The military has the ability to get patients in need to the ship. More good news.

The Puerto Rico Department of Health gets to decide which patients can get care aboard the Comfort, but referrals have been minimal so far.

Ricardo Rosselló, the governor of the island, told CNN that the issue was not because a lack of infrastructure, or physical means of getting patients to the ship.

“The disconnect or the apparent disconnect was in the communications flow,” Mr Rosselló said. “I asked for a complete revision of that so that we can now start sending more patients over there.”

Eeek. More trouble with locals not being able to get out of their own way. Rosello at least is a take charge guy though, and it sounds like he has the problem with the local officials in hand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The Governor of PR is heading up the US response to Hurricane Maria ?
    there are 1000 beds. Not 250.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USNS_Comfort_(T-AH-20)

blaming the victims is tacky.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,782 Posts
    jaw, he literally can't understand it.

it's time to move on.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (11-02-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    you are exactly right.

I don't understand why a hospital ship is anchored uselessly off shore for weeks while recovery to a natural disaster is in operation.

And no one can name who made that decision

I don't understand

we demand more accountability from our sports teams

I don't understand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    who decided to leave it in the harbor ?
    It's hard to say because I haven't seen that in any articles or heard about it from any naval types (which is how I knew about the maintenance inspections in Norfolk).

If it was only a matter of whether or not the entrance channel is safe for the Comfort then that would fall on the ship Captain.
    For reference, the Comfort extends about 33 feet beneath the water's surface and is about 900 feet long.
    Here is a chart of the port entrance - http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/25670.shtml
    Now think about driving a 900 foot long school bus down that channel where all of those rivers were depositing debris. And knowing that if you wreck you won't be able to help anyone and you will also lose your career and cost taxpayers tens or hundreds of millions of dollars.

On the other hand, the 3 star General in charge of the relief effort may have decided it was better to have Comfort out of the harbor for a myriad of reasons. Coordinating this effort is way beyond my understanding so I can't imagine what many of them would be. Security is a possibility with armed looters in the streets and medical supplies on the ship.

It is also possible that the port itself doesn't want the Comfort taking up prime real docking real estate from ships bringing supplies.

Until something else is proven, I will assume that the 3 star General in charge of the operation could park Comfort wherever he wants.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,782 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    It's hard to say because I haven't seen that in any articles or heard about it from any naval types (which is how I knew about the maintenance inspections in Norfolk).

If it was only a matter of whether or not the entrance channel is safe for the Comfort then that would fall on the ship Captain.
    For reference, the Comfort extends about 33 feet beneath the water's surface and is about 900 feet long.
    Here is a chart of the port entrance - http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/25670.shtml
    Now think about driving a 900 foot long school bus down that channel where all of those rivers were depositing debris. And knowing that if you wreck you won't be able to help anyone and you will also lose your career and cost taxpayers tens or hundreds of millions of dollars.

On the other hand, the 3 star General in charge of the relief effort may have decided it was better to have Comfort out of the harbor for a myriad of reasons. Coordinating this effort is way beyond my understanding so I can't imagine what many of them would be. Security is a possibility with armed looters in the streets and medical supplies on the ship.

It is also possible that the port itself doesn't want the Comfort taking up prime real docking real estate from ships bringing supplies.

Until something else is proven, I will assume that the 3 star General in charge of the operation could park Comfort wherever he wants.
    I think it's more likely Trump just wanted to tease people with a capable ship nearby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Getting past the inadequate initial response -- the co ordination post initial response has been equally un satisfactory
    With little to no accountability.

I stand by my earlier assessment "fend for yourselves"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I think it's more likely Trump just wanted to tease people with a capable ship nearby
    I think Trump has other things on his mind

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,782 Posts
    Looks like there are flights from Florida to PR for around $100 RT... I suggest you go buy a lot of supplies and hop on a flight and start helping. If you're not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Mia Farrow‏Verified account @MiaFarrow

Most people in Puerto Rico have gone without electricity for over 6 weeks- the longest blackout in US history

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Puerto Rico’s Medicaid funding crisis is deepening, adding yet another issue for Congress to deal with in what is sure to be a hectic December.

Hurricane Maria caused serious damage to Puerto Rico’s health-care system, and none of the federal disaster relief money to date has been earmarked for the Medicaid program.

A $44 billion supplemental payment request from the White House on Friday said the administration was “aware” that Puerto Rico needed Medicaid assistance, but it put the onus on Congress to act.

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare...in-puerto-rico

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Frances Robles‏Verified account @FrancesRobles
    5h5 hours ago

Two months after Maria, electricity generation in Puerto Rico has actually gone down this week. Let that sink in.