Thread: Puerto Rico

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    You're becoming less coherent that goldy
    the irony of messing up a sentence when trying to make fun of ones intelligence is always the best

but hey 57, i mean, it's just a big island that got destroyed by a hurricane. why don't you just go down there on your own and fix it? i mean, between you and them pulling themselves up from their bootstraps, you will have that electrical grid and clean water up tomorrow. get on a flight man
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    57 seems very concerned about lack of water. There is literally NOTHING stopping him from buying a bunch of water, getting on a plane and hand delivering it to the people.

If he is relying on the government to solve problems quickly, then he will be waiting a while

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (10-14-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    You're becoming less coherent that goldy
    It's almost not even fun to argue with him anymore.

57: Trump is doing nothing! People are dying!

Me: But 57, there are 10s of thousands of federal personnel there, they even brought transportation troops when the resident truck drivers weren't able to make it to work.

57: They should have all been there day 1 after the hurricane! Why wasn't the 82nd Airborne parachuting in???

Me: Because laws designed to prevent a President from becoming a military dictator prevent him from deploying troops to American soil.

57: I never said he had to deploy them and what about the time I went fishing in my bathtub and caught a catfish that hmmmmm?
    When the sky is blue it doesn't mean you are too. Or are you?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (10-19-2017), sturg33 (10-12-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    It's almost not even fun to argue with him anymore.

57: Trump is doing nothing! People are dying!

Me: But 57, there are 10s of thousands of federal personnel there, they even brought transportation troops when the resident truck drivers weren't able to make it to work.

57: They should have all been there day 1 after the hurricane! Why wasn't the 82nd Airborne parachuting in???

Me: Because laws designed to prevent a President from becoming a military dictator prevent him from deploying troops to American soil.

57: I never said he had to deploy them and what about the time I went fishing in my bathtub and caught a catfish that hmmmmm?
    When the sky is blue it doesn't mean you are too. Or are you?
    Perfection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Michael Skolnik‏Verified account @MichaelSkolnik 4h4 hours ago

Today, @realDonaldTrump is playing golf while 91% of Puerto Rico is still without power and 36% still don’t have running water.

Last edited by 57Brave; 10-14-2017 at 02:05 PM.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Heavy rains expected to continue over the nextfew days place Puerto Rico’s entire infrastructure in an increasingly precarious state, and threaten the already deteriorated conditions for hundreds of thousands of people whose homes have been affected, many of whom have lost their homes outrightand don’t even have the temporary “Blue Roof” offered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) that could protect them.

Operation Blue Roof provides a temporary covering of reinforced blue plastic sheeting to help reducefurther damage to properties until permanent repairscan be made. Blue Roofs are designed to last about 30 days. To date, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) has received more than 2,800 requests for Blue Roof repairs and has installed more than 250.

Given this fact, Gov. Ricardo Rosselló Nevares warned Monday that this week’s rains will cause renewed impact for victims of Hurricane Maria, who must seek refuge and protection.

A tropical depression is expected to drench most of the island (with the possible exception of the southern town of Ponce) with rains and thunderstorms overthe next three days.

According to an Inter News Service report, theso-called “vaguada” will likely make it difficult to deliver assistance to those families who need it, especially those in mountainous and flood-prone areas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Supplies ending up in dumpsters now, according to the PR Secretary of State

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    The translation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Oxfam report Day 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Jennifer Bendery‏Verified account @jbendery 6m6 minutes ago

Today's "official" govt stats on Puerto Rico: 80% of 3.4M Americans without power, 28% without drinking water. It's been 32 days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post

Today's "official" govt stats on Puerto Rico: 80% of 3.4M Americans without power, 28% without drinking water. It's been 32 days.
    Have you delivered any water yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    I am not sure why this makes someone racist. Ignorant, maybe... But racist?

I get it that the only thing the left is capable of doing these days is screaming racism, but doesn't it get old?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post

How long did the Flint Water Crisis under Obama last?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    How long did the Flint Water Crisis under Obama last?
    That too, is Trump's fault

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Have you delivered any water yet?
    He’s delivered as much water to Puerto Rico as he has to Flint, Michigan which he is obsessed about. Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I am not sure why this makes someone racist. Ignorant, maybe... But racist?

I get it that the only thing the left is capable of doing these days is screaming racism, but doesn't it get old?
    The only thing they can do now because they lose on all the issues. So now you can't question them because you're an evil racist.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    He’s delivered as much water to Puerto Rico as he has to Flint, Michigan which he is obsessed about. Zero
    I can't drive my truck there because " it is in water. Big Water. Ocean water. "

Hoping you didn't take a lot of time formulating that reply

I don't talk about the charities I do and don't donate. I was raised to know that is gouache

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/19/u...ity-power.html

Puerto Ricans Ask: When Will the Lights Come Back On?

Four weeks after Hurricane Maria, packing winds of up to 155 miles an hour, knocked out power to the entire island, 80 percent of Puerto Rico still does not have electricity. Some residents have not had power for 45 days — since Hurricane Irma brushed by after Labor Day.
    In Puerto Rico, the brunt of the work has been left to the 900 members of local crews.

Industry experts said poor planning, a slow response by power officials and Puerto Rico’s dire financial straits had led to a situation that would be unfathomable in the continental United States. Logistical challenges — like where to house the thousands of extra workers needed to get the lights back on — still have not been resolved.
    “You can’t really bring electric back until you rebuild the power plant,” Mr. Trump said during an appearance with Gov. Ricardo A. Rosselló of Puerto Rico. The federal government will help rebuild the power grid, he said, but “the plant itself is going to take a while.”
    After major storms, power companies typically rely on mutual aid agreements to get electricity restored. Outside companies send thousands of workers, and electric companies pay for the service with funds from FEMA.

Such agreements are “absolutely critical,” said Devon Streit, the deputy assistant secretary for infrastructure security at the Department of Energy, which is helping to coordinate the restoration of power. But in this instance, some companies were concerned about getting paid, she said, because the Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority, known as Prepa, had filed for bankruptcy protection in July after defaulting on $9 billion in debt.

Ricardo Ramos, chief executive of the power authority, said outside companies had been hesitant to come until they knew where the storm would make landfall. After that, he needed several days to assess the damage, and communications were down.

By the time Mr. Ramos had a full grasp of the damage a week after the storm, he said, the Corps of Engineers had been tasked with overseeing power restoration, a duty outside its usual purview.

That was something of a relief, Mr. Ramos said, because mutual aid agreements cost millions of dollars that the power authority cannot spare.
    When Hurricane Hugo hit in 1989, Mr. Ramos said, repairs took six months.

But on Saturday, Governor Rosselló committed to a more aggressive timetable, pledging to have 95 percent of power restored by December.
    The task is also daunting, Mr. Ramos said, because some of the power plants date to the 1950s and were never maintained. Power was restored to parts of San Juan three times in the last few weeks, only for the grid to collapse.

As more of the facts come out, it's becoming clearer that Maria has just exposed what a disaster PR was before the storm.

Un-maintained electric infrastructure, a bankrupt state power company so untrustworthy that other companies won't help them, and so incompetent that they still didn't have a plan to ask for help a week after the storm hit. Mayors don't show up to FEMA meetings, drivers don't make it to work, local politicians reserve relief aid for their cronies, and supplies marked by drivers as delivered never show up. Other supplies are thrown away due to damage from neglect.

Now the Corps of Engineers jumps in to fill the breach, taking on a job outside of their training, securing funding and contracting outside civilian help that the local officials were either unwilling or unable to call on. Nuclear submarines lie in harbor pumping out more electricity than most power plants, with no lines to carry it, and army quartermasters drive supply trucks to places that others either can't or won't, while other soldiers are forced to patrol the most well supplied area due to looting by armed gangs. What a remarkable situation. What an amazing group of people we have in our armed forces.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    another inspiring hire

Emily Atkin‏Verified account @emorwee

Ben Carson detailing HUD’s efforts to rebuild in Puerto Rico. How many years will it take? “Somewhere between 1 and 100,” he says