3,881 Posts

Braves Job Posting- Advance Scout Trainee

Ivermectin Man

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I think Enscheff played college baseball.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-12-2017), Super (12-12-2017), The Chosen One (12-12-2017), UNCBlue012 (12-12-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    What I find a bit odd is the Braves posting a scouting opening on FG when all other teams post analytical staff openings. Shouldn't the Braves be beefing up their group considering it consists of one guy and an intern?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    What I find a bit odd is the Braves posting a scouting opening on FG when all other teams post analytical staff openings. Shouldn't the Braves be beefing up their group considering it consists of one guy and an intern?
    Could be Kiley McDaniel's link to Fangraphs. By the way, my suggestion that you'd be a good candidate for a position like this was not facetious.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Could be Kiley McDaniel's link to Fangraphs. By the way, my suggestion that you'd be a good candidate for a position like this was not facetious.
    I looked into MLB FO jobs a couple years ago. They rely on the "coolness factor" of working for an MLB team to acquire young talent. The pay is terrible, the hours are hellacious, and it's not a job for someone with a family used to banker's hours, 6 weeks paid time off every year, and a six figure income.

They will have no shortage of very smart 22 year-old candidates with math/programming degrees willing to work 60-80 hours a week for $40k per year. In fact, there's probably 100 candidates running around the winter meetings right now desperately trying to get an interview. The talent is there for the taking, and CHEAP. The Braves just need to acquire it and utilize the data they produce.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-12-2017 at 12:13 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Super (12-12-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I looked into MLB FO jobs a couple years ago. They rely on the "coolness factor" of working for an MLB team to acquire young talent. The pay is terrible, the hours are hellacious, and it's not a job for someone with a family used to banker's hours, 6 weeks paid time off every year, and a six figure income.

They will have no shortage of very smart 22 year-old candidates with math/programming degrees willing to work 60-80 hours a week for $40k per year. In fact, there's probably 100 candidates running around the winter meetings right now desperately trying to get an interview. The talent is there for the taking, and CHEAP. The Braves just need to acquire it and utilize the data they produce.
    I'm sure it is a real slog for the guys starting out. It's probably a lot like show business where you find eager young folks who don't mind sleeping on a mattress beneath the dining room table in a house/apartment with a dozen other roommates.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    I'm sure it is a real slog for the guys starting out. It's probably a lot like show business where you find eager young folks who don't mind sleeping on a mattress beneath the dining room table in a house/apartment with a dozen other roommates.
    Tech industry is already like that. In the Bay Area kids get hired for $150k+ per year right out of college and pay $1200 per month to sleep on 1 of 20 cots laid out in an open room. The campuses they work at are set up to accommodate them 18+ hours per day, almost like they never left college.

Crazy. I couldn't imagine that...even when I was 22 with no real responsibilities.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Tech industry is already like that. In the Bay Area kids get hired for $150k+ per year right out of college and pay $1200 per month to sleep on 1 of 20 cots laid out in an open room. The campuses they work at are set up to accommodate them 18+ hours per day, almost like they never left college.

Crazy. I couldn't imagine that...even when I was 22 with no real responsibilities.
    I logged a ton of miles at next to no pay when I was a young political hack, but at least I got to sleep in my own bed almost every night. I have some friends whose kids work in Silicon Valley and they inform me that their kids just love the atmosphere. But it has to be a grind.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I logged a ton of miles at next to no pay when I was a young political hack, but at least I got to sleep in my own bed almost every night. I have some friends whose kids work in Silicon Valley and they inform me that their kids just love the atmosphere. But it has to be a grind.

At that age, putting 150 k in your pocket and grinding away for a bit doesn't seem so bad.