Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Stanton

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Except baseball apparently does work that way - at least from the perspective that he was able to get himself onto one of those "super teams".
    The Yankees could be replaced by the White Sox’s or Seattle or whoever young players step up. Two pitchers go down. Chapman loses command. Judge never solves the K’s. Many things could stick him right back into another mediocre team. So who cares.

What I find so amusing is that the Yankees just got out of the A-roid contract just to get back into another one. I want Stanton to be a Stankee forever.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Stanton basically picked the four teams that were the last four teams standing in the playoffs. He didn’t care about any of the orgs. He wants to win a title. He is trying to super team his way to a World Series. He is a putz for that and a bigger putz for not realizing that is not how baseball works.

I am excited for the fans of NY. They will have some amazing games. But I also know they have 400 K’s locked in for two batting order spots.
    Lol when those 400 Ks come packaged with 12+ WAR I think they’ll smile all the way to the playoffs.

There are almost as many sour grapes in this thread as there were in the thread about the Braves punishment.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Lol when those 400 Ks come packaged with 12+ WAR I think they’ll smile all the way to the playoffs.

There are almost as many sour grapes in this thread as there were in the thread about the Braves punishment.
    I have no doubt he makes them better. I just think eventually you start playing with too much fire when you have a lot of high K guys in the lineup.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I don't have any bad feelings about Stanton. He bargained for the no trade and exercised it. It's the Marlins ownership who acted in bad faith the whole way.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

TomahawkCult (12-13-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I think he sees those four as the ones that can sustain success the longest. I just can’t agree with the financial part when the stos are one of the teams and they still have to lock up this core. He was a B-ball player and watches what the NBA is going through. He just isn’t smart enough to realize he is 1/25 of the impact versus 1/10 or whatever an NBA roster comprises.
    lol, this take is almost as bad as niners' take.
    i think he probably understands the roster size in baseball well. going to a good team gives a player a better chance to win in any sport, period. really don't understand how he's "dumb."
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    lol, this take is almost as bad as niners' take.
    i think he probably understands the roster size in baseball well. going to a good team gives a player a better chance to win in any sport, period. really don't understand how he's "dumb."
    He’s dumb because he picked 4 teams he considers to be the best franchises in the sport, and the Braves aren’t one of them.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    This is why the Marlins should have stuck to their guns and kept Stanton and traded everyone else

“I’ve always tried to be as professional as possible during the unprofessional , circus times there!”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    He’s dumb because he picked 4 teams he considers to be the best franchises in the sport, and the Braves aren’t one of them.
    He picked 4 franchises who could actually afford the contract. Do you actually believe the Braves could afford that contract? With no salary cap, baseball is always going to play out this way.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NYCBrave For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (12-12-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    He picked 4 franchises who could actually afford the contract. Do you actually believe the Braves could afford that contract? With no salary cap, baseball is always going to play out this way.
    The new park was supposed to give the Braves a Top 10 payroll. I guess Stanton didn’t believe that line of bull**** either.

He’s so dumb. I bet he shops at the dollar general.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    The new park was supposed to give the Braves a Top 10 payroll. I guess Stanton didn’t believe that line of bull**** either.

He’s so dumb. I bet he shops at the dollar general.
    The newer dollar generals are pretty sweet.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    The newer dollar generals are pretty sweet.
    I read everything is priced in 5 cent increments so you guys could more easily add up the total before getting to the register and avoid being embarrassed when you don’t have enough cash.

Same article also said anything camo sells...clothing, pet toys, baby pacifiers, anything. If it can’t be found when laying in a bush, you guys buy it.

Same article said camo is so popular the Under Armor of camo apparel (can’t remember the rand name) now makes a dog food that sells well to you guys.

Same article says you guys are so poor that Walmart is abandoning you because they market to a more affluent demographic (how is that even possible?), and Dollar General is one of the only brick and mortar retailers growing as a result.

I’m sure none of that is true though haha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I don't care that the Braves didn't get him, it would have been madness to commit such a large percentage of the payroll to one guy. I'm actually irritated for the Marlins fans that just saw what may have been the best Marlin player, ever, traded in his prime for a sack of beef jerky and some salary relief. The economics of baseball suck.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-12-2017), Tapate50 (12-12-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    I agree with you but don't we see this same exact philosophy over on the Religion/Politics forum every single day?
    Sure, but sports fandom is supposed to be an escape from all of that.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I read everything is priced in 5 cent increments so you guys could more easily add up the total before getting to the register and avoid being embarrassed when you don’t have enough cash.

Same article also said anything camo sells...clothing, pet toys, baby pacifiers, anything. If it can’t be found when laying in a bush, you guys buy it.

Same article said camo is so popular the Under Armor of camo apparel (can’t remember the rand name) now makes a dog food that sells well to you guys.

Same article says you guys are so poor that Walmart is abandoning you because they market to a more affluent demographic (how is that even possible?), and Dollar General is one of the only brick and mortar retailers growing as a result.

I’m sure none of that is true though haha.
    Don't forget the sales tax!

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I was a bit surprised about Houston being on the list. Good-sized market, but I don't know if they could have managed the contract.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I don't have any bad feelings about Stanton. He bargained for the no trade and exercised it. It's the Marlins ownership who acted in bad faith the whole way.
    Really bad faith, in fact:

and the Marlins brass has promised investors that the team’s payroll will shrink from about $115 million last Opening Day—already in the bottom third of the MLB payroll rankings—to somewhere in the neighborhood of $55 million, which is about a third of the MLB median. This is not a baseball trade. This is a liquidation of assets.

[...]

Even in a franchise that’s suffered a post–World Series fire sale under Wayne Huizenga, then 15 years of slimy hucksterism from former owner Jeffrey Loria, the Marlins are exploring new depths of bad faith, and drilling into substances so repulsive our baseball vocabulary is not up to the task of describing them. Woe unto those who call this move “clearing payroll,” which implies that the Marlins might better spend Stanton’s salary elsewhere. Not only is that contrary to what we know about the Bruce Sherman–led investment group that bought the team in September—where should they spend that money if not on the NL MVP? [...] Sure, Stanton’s owed up to $295 million over the next decade, but perhaps the Marlins could’ve found part of that sum in the half-billion dollars that local government gave them to build a stadium five years ago?

Professional sports franchises operate in this strange ether in which they are privately owned, for-profit enterprises but serve as civic institutions nonetheless. For this reason they inspire local loyalty and are often government subsidized, with the unspoken covenant that the private owner will operate not only to turn a profit, but to make them successful on the field. Sherman has broken faith with the city that supports his franchise—and for all the jokes about Marlins Park being empty all the time, the team sold 1.65 million tickets last year, which was 27th in baseball but still actual millions—for the purpose of paying down some $400 million in debt resulting from the purchase of the team, and presumably selling the club for a profit when that’s done. Miami—indeed, the nation as a whole—has been suckered into taking billionaires at their word for too long, when most billionaires got so rich in the first place by wringing every last dollar out of companies, cities, and people, then leaving desolate ruins in their wake.

Sherman has experience doing just that to beloved privately owned civic institutions, when a little more than a decade ago, he gutted the Knight Ridder newspaper company, leaving dozens of the country’s most prestigious news organizations—including the Miami Herald—with skeleton staffs and shoestring budgets. The baseball world should have known better than to greet Sherman’s purchase of the team as a relief.
    Great article overall, noting moreover the smart but cynical strategy involving Jeter-as-CEO, where "Sherman invited Jeter to join the rentier class," as a trade-off for Jeter acting as a "well-paid human shield, like Roger Goodell for the NFL, soaking up public scorn while the men who wield real power soak in profit." By contrast, Sherman "maintains a low public profile—his public persona is mostly his lack of a public persona [...] What a savvy strategy: If you’re making billions torching newspapers and baseball teams, why would you want publicity?"
    Last edited by jpx7; 12-12-2017 at 04:35 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (12-12-2017), Super (12-12-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Don't forget the sales tax!
    That’s a good point. If those people couldn’t do basic addition, then they would have a hell of a time computing the 9.25% sales tax (about the rate in TN). Therefore, that strategy really wouldn’t help out much.
    Last edited by CyYoung31; 12-12-2017 at 03:48 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    That’s a good point. If those people couldn’t do basic addition, then they would have a hell of a time computing the 9.25% sales tax (about the rate in TN). Therefore, that strategy really wouldn’t help out much.
    I was quoting a dollar gerneral manager. Maybe they roll sales tax into the price.

These guys are making a killing selling camo to poor dumb rednecks. I wouldn’t doubt they know exactly how to make their customers feel like they’re middle class while buying camo dog food for $7.85.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-12-2017 at 03:52 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I was quoting a dollar gerneral manager. Maybe they roll sales tax into the price.

These guys are making a killing selling camo to poor dumb rednecks. I wouldn’t doubt they know exactly how to make their customers feel like they’re middle class while buying camo dog food for $7.85.
    You don't want anybody finding your dog food, man. Especially not your dog.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts

I don’t doubt that’s the case, but I don’t see how it helps their customer base with math. Unless, like you said, they figure the sales tax in.