Thread: Stanton

High School Draftee biggentleben's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    You see this somewhere or a source you have
    A few places reported it on Twitter last night, but one in particular was a Dodgers beat guy, who said that the teams have framework of what the Marlins are interested in from the Dodgers system due to Stanton talks.
    Gus: You don't know anything about scouting.
    Johnny: Don't tell them that.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Yankees lucked out that Stanton nixed trades to both the Giants and Cards. The Yankees would not have been in such a position otherwise.
    Exactly. When Stanton reduced the options to effectively one, the Marlins lost any leverage they could possibly have had in a screwed up situation. They did all right getting two bidders, but Stanton blew it up.

I don't think the Yankees did anything brilliant here. It feel into their lap. It's good to be king.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

Carp (12-12-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Exactly. When Stanton reduced the options to effectively one, the Marlins lost any leverage they could possibly have had in a screwed up situation. They did all right getting two bidders, but Stanton blew it up.

I don't think the Yankees did anything brilliant here. It feel into their lap. It's good to be king.
    So you give the Yankees no credit for positioning themselves to be one of the 4 teams Stanton was willing to go?

What’s your stance on the Swanson/Miller trade? Were the Braves lucky or smart?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    So you give the Yankees no credit for positioning themselves to be one of the 4 teams Stanton was willing to go?

I hate the Yankees, but Cashman is as sharp as they come. It “is” easier though, when you have that kind of money to spend.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    I love how everyone here is defending him. Lol this place is funny.
    defending his right to exercise the NTC that was negotiated into his legally binding contract, yes.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-12-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts

I mean, he chose the Cubs, Astros, Dodgers and Yankees. Those are not only among the biggest market teams, but those with the largest payrolls as well. As has been discussed, we've entered a time when the biggest payroll teams are also hiring the smartest people. So clearly, there is not a fair advantage here.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBrave View Post
    I mean, he chose the Cubs, Astros, Dodgers and Yankees. Those are not only among the biggest market teams, but those with the largest payrolls as well. As has been discussed, we've entered a time when the biggest payroll teams are also hiring the smartest people. So clearly, there is not a fair advantage here.
    That may or not be true, but I still wonder how relevant that is in this particular situation. Those teams have the most leeway in terms of resources to be creative in constructing the package to land Stanton. I'm a bit surprised that the Marlins didn't insist on someone like Gleyber Torres instead of Castro. I'm not contesting that the big market teams have changed their mindset a bit and some of that is due to the hiring of some really bright people. I just don't think it contributed that much here.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Jaw (12-11-2017), jpx7 (12-12-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    That may or not be true, but I still wonder how relevant that is in this particular situation. Those teams have the most leeway in terms of resources to be creative in constructing the package to land Stanton. I'm a bit surprised that the Marlins didn't insist on someone like Gleyber Torres instead of Castro. I'm not contesting that the big market teams have changed their mindset a bit and some of that is due to the hiring of some really bright people. I just don't think it contributed that much here.
    Well, there is probably another layer to things here which we don't know. I'm assuming those 4 teams named were the realistic options. They weren't going to throw a team out there like the Rays or Royals who couldn't even afford him. Heck, even the Mets likely couldn't afford that contract. So these likely were 4 realistic teams who could even take on a massive contract like that at this time.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts

What did they do other than wait around and have the payroll to absorb that kind of contract once Stanton vetoed the Marlins preferences?

It's an awesome deal for the Yankees, but if Stanton accepts either of the other trades it never happens.

On the Swanson and Miller trade: As I understand the reporting from the time, no one was particularly aware that Diamondbacks were ready to super overpay for #3 starters and were shocked when that deal went through. I think the return was lucky, but Coppy at least was proactive in getting out there and having the conversation and getting the sky before anyone else knew what was happening.

The Stanton trade in contrast was very public and Stanton basically eliminated the other suitors. It's not really the same thing.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (12-11-2017), zedsdead (12-11-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I hate the Yankees, but Cashman is as sharp as they come. It “is” easier though, when you have that kind of money to spend.
    I definitely respect Cashman. He has spent a lot of time figuring out how to leverage the Yankees advantages in every respect. It's been a down cycle for them, but not too bad.

Give them credit for being smart and having money. They didn't go out and set the market for the Stanton trade and then they were in good shape when the competition evaporated. So let me walk it back a little. The Yankees were smart about marshaling their great resources here.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    What did they do other than wait around and have the payroll to absorb that kind of contract once Stanton vetoed the Marlins preferences?

It's an awesome deal for the Yankees, but if Stanton accepts either of the other trades it never happens.

On the Swanson and Miller trade: As I understand the reporting from the time, no one was particularly aware that Diamondbacks were ready to super overpay for #3 starters and were shocked when that deal went through. I think the return was lucky, but Coppy at least was proactive in getting out there and having the conversation and getting the sky before anyone else knew what was happening.

The Stanton trade in contrast was very public and Stanton basically eliminated the other suitors. It's not really the same thing.
    The Yankees were out until the Marlins got desperate and agreed to take salary back in the form of Castro. They set up an offer, the Marlins didn’t like it, then things changed and the Marlins had to take it.

Right place at the right time, just like when the Braves stole Swanson and Inciarte by having the only potential TOR arm available when the DBacks decided to add Greinke and another top arm.

The Yankees have teams like the Braves outclassed in every possible facet of the game. Their analytic department looks like a startup tech company, while the Braves have some dude and an intern in an old broom closet using Hart’s PC that wasn’t being used while he was out golfing all week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    A guy with a no trade clause and a contract that they had to move basically told the Marlins he would only go to the Yankees.

Rah rah Yankees, great work.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    On a side note, I bet there is some knucklehead on ESPN or MLBN right now mentioning how Stanton as a Yankee is "great for baseball." Instead of seeing this trade as a summation of the biggest problems in baseball.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    On a side note, I bet there is some knucklehead on ESPN or MLBN right now mentioning how Stanton as a Yankee is "great for baseball." Instead of seeing this trade as a summation of the biggest problems in baseball.
    I agree with you but don't we see this same exact philosophy over on the Religion/Politics forum every single day?

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oklahomahawk For This Useful Post:

Jaw (12-12-2017), jpx7 (12-12-2017)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Stanton basically picked the four teams that were the last four teams standing in the playoffs. He didn’t care about any of the orgs. He wants to win a title. He is trying to super team his way to a World Series. He is a putz for that and a bigger putz for not realizing that is not how baseball works.

I am excited for the fans of NY. They will have some amazing games. But I also know they have 400 K’s locked in for two batting order spots.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Stanton basically picked the four teams that were the last four teams standing in the playoffs. He didn’t care about any of the orgs. He wants to win a title. He is trying to super team his way to a World Series. He is a putz for that and a bigger putz for not realizing that is not how baseball works.

I am excited for the fans of NY. They will have some amazing games. But I also know they have 400 K’s locked in for two batting order spots.
    Hope the Yankees fail miserably this season

22. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (12-11-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts

It seemed to me his criterion was to pick teams that were good now and had the financial muscle to remain good going forward. Only the Astros have a bit of a question mark about the second part.

We could have six "super teams" next year: the Indians, Yankees, Astros, Cubs, gnats and Dodgers. He didn't pick the gnats because he perceived (correctly imo) that they are stretched financially and their window might close in a year or two. Ditto for the Indians.

As a side note, the existence of these six super teams going into 2018 means that the remaining 24 teams are basically competing for the 4 wild card spots.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Hope the Yankees fail miserably this season
    interestingly, even if the super-team fails, there will still be those who will believe that is the only way to build a team, and the Yankees deserve it. It really does make it fun to cheer against them though.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Except baseball apparently does work that way - at least from the perspective that he was able to get himself onto one of those "super teams".
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    It seemed to me his criterion was to pick teams that were good now and had the financial muscle to remain good going forward. Only the Astros have a bit of a question mark about the second part.

We could have six "super teams" next year: the Indians, Yankees, Astros, Cubs, gnats and Dodgers. He didn't pick the gnats because he perceived (correctly imo) that they are stretched financially and their window might close in a year or two. Ditto for the Indians.

As a side note, the existence of these six super teams going into 2018 means that the remaining 24 teams are basically competing for the 4 wild card spots.
    I think he sees those four as the ones that can sustain success the longest. I just can’t agree with the financial part when the stos are one of the teams and they still have to lock up this core. He was a B-ball player and watches what the NBA is going through. He just isn’t smart enough to realize he is 1/25 of the impact versus 1/10 or whatever an NBA roster comprises.
    Coppy