Page 34 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Thread: Megathread: Braves lose Maitan, Bae and 10+ plus International Sanctions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,709 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Who is Herschelpony? A writer? A poster on their web boards?
    Probably a poster like msstate7 or Southcack77
    Swanson sucks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Did you know that the street that Sun Trust Park is built on is simply titled, 'Braves Way'? Did you know that, BeanieAntics?
    That reminds me of an old TV show I saw that featured the first homosexual dance. Neither gentleman could dance so they just swayed back and forth. It was a brave sway.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (10-04-2017), DaneHill (10-04-2017), Jaw (10-04-2017), JohnAdcox (10-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Speaking of Shanks, this is a bit from his column drooling on Dayton Moore.

The sad part about all of this was the turmoil was unnecessary. Coppolella created a great talent base for the future, but the methods with which he built that foundation obviously were not in the spirit of the heralded “Braves Way.”
    I hope you didn't have to pay for that fine piece of journalism.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ramadon101 View Post
    http://www.macon.com/sports/spt-colu...176793871.html

As if it's any surprise what his cro-magnon take is (for those who wish to avoid giving Bill Shanks clicks, it boils down to Dayton Moore is our sole savior and suspenders was not involved in the infractions).
    Damn. You should've put that above the link.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    WTF is a western crosschecker? I misread At first and thought you said cross dresser.

That twitter rant about Coppy and McDaniel being drinking buddies may have some truth and not just sour grapes
    Crosscheckers are a step above the area scouts. The area scouts do the initial work-up on prospects and then the crosscheckers come in and supply another take on the player and take the analysis a little deeper. Crosscheckers' work is usually devoted to the higher-level draft prospects.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-03-2017)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    On the plus side, the Braves are once again front page news in October.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (10-04-2017), Garmel (10-03-2017), jpx7 (10-03-2017), Managuarantano's Volunteers (10-03-2017), The Chosen One (10-03-2017), zedsdead (10-04-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,053 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    On the plus side, the Braves are once again front page news in October.
    On the downside they'll once again be off the front pages by the end of the first series.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (10-04-2017), Jaw (10-04-2017), thewupk (10-03-2017), zedsdead (10-04-2017)

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    At least Coppy still have his right arm!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ixiXSolidXixi For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-04-2017)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,791 Posts
    Remember... A certain poster on this board described the brass as a "Powerhouse FO"

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    I personally don't really care about the departure of Coppy as a person. I thought he came off as a smug b*astard who thought he was way smarter than he really was.

I do have concern about the potential death of a change in philosophy in effort to bring the Braves into the 21st century.

JS has always been overrated. Without Bobby Cox he wouldn't be anywhere near as revered as he has become. Cox built the early 90's team when he was GM then kept it going by creating a clubhouse environment where players wanted to play, many that signed for less dollars to play for the Braves. I think JS was always much too close to the commissioners office and probably wanted to be commissioner at one time. When other teams were pushing the envelope in the draft (over slot spending) JS and the Braves staunchly held the mark and suffered from it.

Hart also was a bit overrated but probably a better GM than JS in his day.

But, I don't think it was JS and Hart who generated the exodus of Coppy. After all, if they wanted him gone for any reason they could just fire him.

I think Coppy pissed off so many people, outside but especially inside the organization, that this whole thing likely started "whistle blower" style from some of the scouts. JS and Hart, never completely sold on Coppy with confidence fading, seized on this opportunity to go ahead and make the move.

I've been very critical of this whole rebuild/reload from the beginning. I said at the start it wouldn't work the way they were going about it, that no matter what they wanted it would still be a minimum 5 years from start to end of any rebuild and that getting good isn't the issue. It's establishing a foundation to be good for a long time.

Now, the long term foundation likely is further eroded because there will be some punishment. Add to that the expected "panic moves" of the coming offseason and we may see a very quick high water mark with a slower decline into an inevitable round two of rebuild.

If Coppy goes but is replaced with the better, nicer, wiser Coppy then it's probably a net positive in the long run.

If he is replaced by another member of the good old boy club with a room full of harrumph, harrumph, harrumph (Blazing Saddles reference) decision making then welcome to my nightmare.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (10-04-2017), Jaw (10-04-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Hard to speak against Glavine. He delivered our only World Series ring.

But at the same time the old guard needs to realize we are a mid market payroll team. We need to be efficient and take all routes with scouting and saber combined to have a chance.
    I'm certain that Glavine isn't qualified to be making personnel decisions.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    I'm certain that Glavine isn't qualified to be making personnel decisions.
    No but he, Cox, Chipper all have Special Assistant to the GM titles.

I’m sure they put Glav in the war room because they want him At some point to be in the FO. And Glav does have experience as former Union head of the MLBPA. So he has dealt with negotiations before. That’s a lot more executive experience than most former players. What I think needs to happen is the Old Guard need to get off their Braves Way high horse. We haven’t been to a World Series in 18 years but made the playoffs 9 times since then. Haven’t been to the NLCS since 2001. We are not a top 3 payroll team like we were in 90s. We’d not be able to afford to buy someone like Maddux in today’s inflated contract market. We wouldn’t be able to offer nice extensions to key core players here after their arb years.
    Forever Fredi

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

CyYoung31 (10-03-2017), Jaw (10-04-2017), jpx7 (10-04-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    No but he, Cox, Chipper all have Special Assistant to the GM titles.

I’m sure they put Glav in the war room because they want him At some point to be in the FO. And Glav does have experience as former Union head of the MLBPA. So he has dealt with negotiations before. That’s a lot more executive experience than most former players. What I think needs to happen is the Old Guard need to get off their Braves Way high horse. We haven’t been to a World Series in 18 years but made the playoffs 9 times since then. Haven’t been to the NLCS since 2001. We are not a top 3 payroll team like we were in 90s. We’d not be able to afford to buy someone like Maddux in today’s inflated contract market. We wouldn’t be able to offer nice extensions to key core players here after their arb years.
    Glavine, like Chipper, I assume was originally hired to mainly assist in player development. That's where both of those guys would come in handy, and at least for now, that's where they should stay. If Glavine wants to work his way up and learn the ropes of being a FO executive, then let him do that. I'm just not sure why Glavine should have any input on what scouts should be getting hired/fired at the moment.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-04-2017)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Glavine, like Chipper, I assume was originally hired to mainly assist in player development. That's where both of those guys would come in handy, and at least for now, that's where they should stay. If Glavine wants to work his way up and learn the ropes of being a FO executive, then let him do that. I'm just not sure why Glavine should have any input on what scouts should be getting hired/fired at the moment.
    Well I mean part of player development is scouting. I'm pretty sure Glavine gets sent to meet some scouts as a pair of extra eyes. He's basically doing what Kiley McDaniel has been reassigned to do and give a more thorough review of a player that's being scouted but probably not required to give the full report. And who wouldn't want Glavine's brain and eyes to go scout for talent? A guy that lived off of going toe to toe with hitter's strengths and egos, surely has some value. He was a pitcher not a thrower. He can probably pick apart a pitcher or hitter's tendencies mechanics as good as Maddux.

He's probably defending certain Scouts because he's probably worked with them directly. He's been retired for 8 years now and became an Assistant to GM almost immediately after he hung it up. I'm almost certain he's been sent down in the minors at points to check in on some of our own prospects as well as scout other talent.
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    ding ding ding

12:32
    seth: Is the Braves fiasco a shot across the bow to all MLB teams? especially after the Red Sox ‘punishment’ didn’t seem to have any effect?

12:33
    Eric A Longenhagen: No, this is less about practices in Latin America and more about the individual involved.

I'm not sure how you're coming to the conclusion that this question and answer supports you're conspiracy theory. The "Braves fiasco" would seem to refer more than just the firing of Coppy. He is being investigated for more than just Latin America practices after all.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I personally don't really care about the departure of Coppy as a person. I thought he came off as a smug b*astard who thought he was way smarter than he really was.

I do have concern about the potential death of a change in philosophy in effort to bring the Braves into the 21st century.

JS has always been overrated. Without Bobby Cox he wouldn't be anywhere near as revered as he has become. Cox built the early 90's team when he was GM then kept it going by creating a clubhouse environment where players wanted to play, many that signed for less dollars to play for the Braves. I think JS was always much too close to the commissioners office and probably wanted to be commissioner at one time. When other teams were pushing the envelope in the draft (over slot spending) JS and the Braves staunchly held the mark and suffered from it.

But, I don't think it was JS and Hart who generated the exodus of Coppy. After all, if they wanted him gone for any reason they could just fire him.

I think Coppy pissed off so many people, outside but especially inside the organization, that this whole thing likely started "whistle blower" style from some of the scouts. JS and Hart, never completely sold on Coppy with confidence fading, seized on this opportunity to go ahead and make the move.

I've been very critical of this whole rebuild/reload from the beginning. I said at the start it wouldn't work the way they were going about it, that no matter what they wanted it would still be a minimum 5 years from start to end of any rebuild and that getting good isn't the issue. It's establishing a foundation to be good for a long time.

Now, the long term foundation likely is further eroded because there will be some punishment. Add to that the expected "panic moves" of the coming offseason and we may see a very quick high water mark with a slower decline into an inevitable round two of rebuild.

If Coppy goes but is replaced with the better, nicer, wiser Coppy then it's probably a net positive in the long run.

If he is replaced by another member of the good old boy club with a room full of harrumph, harrumph, harrumph (Blazing Saddles reference) decision making then welcome to my nightmare.
    For the most part I agree with this, Harry.

I'm not as worried about panic moves because I don't think anyone left has any reason to panic.

The new gm, if there is a new GM, might want to make a splash. That guy will have a long rope though, being new.

We will see what the penalty will be, if any, and go from there.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts

Well said. I don't sing the same notes as you regarding the rebuild, but we've been singing the same song. There has been a very odd logic to the re-build, but it's all been seemingly built on half-measures when a more aggressive approach would have been the better way to go. As per Coppy, he always struck me as a non-baseball guy who was trying desperately to both impress and appease the baseball guys. I think he failed on both counts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts

Sounds like the new team will HAVE to overpay for Stanton now to push the stench off the front pages.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 10-04-2017 at 07:05 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Personally, I had him pegged as more of a psychopath, and I'm not kidding about that.

But I'm not sure that's worse that Hart and JS, who come across as detached, tied to some mythical past that really never existed, and also guys who were NOT all that good in their primes, except as skillful small group politicians (aka backscratchers).

The combination has not been a good one. It is a small miracle that some aspects of the rebuild have gone as well as they have.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 10-04-2017 at 08:17 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Probably was always part of the plan

I've been posting about it not because I necessarily like it (depends on cost) but because I think it was always coming