Page 39 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Thread: Megathread: Braves lose Maitan, Bae and 10+ plus International Sanctions.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Nick is who he is. We paid market value for him and that's essentially what we are getting. The whole argument, for the most part, was should the Braves be paying market value for players like that. As it turns out it doesn't matter since they aren't close to contending while he's been here. Like Dickey and Colon it simply doesn't matter with where the Braves are as a team. The problem was if the Braves really were contenders in 2017. A contract like Nick's would have hurt the team since they are a mid market team with a limited budget.

Hindsight on the Heyward contract is nonsense really. Anybody can be right in hindsight and nobody saw Heyward declining to this level on offense. It was always his defense that people thought would dramatically decline which gave them pause about a long contract. Anyone saying otherwise is lying. And to me, like always, it's about the process and not the results. Signing a 26 year old FA who is a stud defensively and a good hitter to a big contract isn't a bad process even if the results stink. Trading for a 31 year old OF who is among the worst defensively and average to above average offensively is not a good process. If the team makes good process decisions they will get back to winning even if some of them have bad results.
    This simply isn't true. If you bother to dig, you'll find TONS of posts from members who argued that Heyward was simply too big a gamble because they didn't believe in his offense. Was he "capable" of putting up multiple 30/100 seasons while being the best defensive RF in the game? Sure he did it once (close enough, anyway when he was in his early 20s) and it was certainly reasonable to expect him to maintain or even improve on those numbers as he gained more experience. A funny thing happened though - he never came close to replicating the numbers (counting stats or no) that he put up in his rookie season OTHER than in his banner 2012 campaign. His numbers absolutely cratered (.277/.393/.456/.849 his first time through to .227/.319/.389/.708) before his breakout (and likely career) season. Swanson had a similar "mysterious" crater between seasons 1 and 2 (.302/.361/.442/.803 to .232/.312/.324/.636) as the league adjusted to him. Can we expect Dansby to adjust back and blow up in 2018? I don't, but I saw Heyward do it just like everybody else did.

The numbers aren't exact as far as the numbers-crowd is concerned, but they point to the same thing. The league starts to figure EVERYBODY out, and the successful players make the adjustments and continue on and adjust back. I can't tell you whether Dansby Swanson's capable of making the correct adjustments (or what they are with certainty), but I can tell you that Jason Heyward sure as *ell hasn't YET - he hasn't posted an OPS higher than .735 or an OPS+ higher than 109 ONCE since those banner years, and for as much as everyone (myself included) loved him and thought he'd take that next step, there were tons who screamed that valuing him higher higher than Freeman was nuts.

Were we wrong???

SJ24 compares Acuna to Trout - the minor league numbers line up, why is he such an idiot???
    Last edited by clvclv; 10-04-2017 at 10:00 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (10-05-2017)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    This simply isn't true. If you bother to dig, you'll find TONS of posts from members who argued that Heyward was simply too big a gamble because they didn't believe in his offense. Was he "capable" of putting up multiple 30/100 seasons while being the best defensive RF in the game? Sure he did it once (close enough, anyway when he was in his early 20s) and it was certainly reasonable to expect him to maintain or even improve on those numbers as he gained more experience. A funny thing happened though - he never came close to replicating the numbers (counting stats or no) that he put up in his rookie season OTHER than in his banner 2012 campaign. His numbers absolutely cratered (.277/.393/.456/.849 his first time through to .227/.319/.389/.708) before his breakout (and likely career) season. Swanson had a similar "mysterious" crater between seasons 1 and 2 (.302/.361/.442/.803 to .232/.312/.324/.636) as the league adjusted to him. Can we expect Dansby to adjust back and blow up in 2018? I don't, but I saw Heyward do it just like everybody else did.

The numbers aren't exact as far as the numbers-crowd is concerned, but they point to the same thing. The league starts to figure EVERYBODY out, and the successful players make the adjustments and continue on and adjust back. I can't tell you whether Dansby Swanson's capable of making the correct adjustments (or what they are with certainty), but I can tell you that Jason Heyward sure as *ell hasn't YET - he hasn't posted an OPS higher than .735 or an OPS+ higher than 109 ONCE since those banner years, and for as much as everyone (myself included) loved him and thought he'd take that next step, there were tons who screamed that valuing him higher higher than Freeman was nuts.

Were we wrong???

SJ24 compares Acuna to Trout - the minor league numbers line up, why is he such an idiot???

What you are referring to is people didn't believe that he would be able to get back to the level of offense he showed his rookie year. There is a difference in that and believing he would crash offensively and become one of the worst hitters in baseball. The concern was that he would stagnate as an offensive hitter and decline on defense as he got closer to 30. Prove me wrong if you don't think that's an accurate depiction of most of the conversation regarding Heyward around 2014-2015.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    A rebuilding team that isn't competing doesn't need a guy like Markakis unless you believe in some kind of veteran presence value for players who aren't even in the ML yet - face it, the Braves didn't have any position players of note for the first two years of Markakis really unless you believe in Jace and Adonis, etc. He really had no upside. It was all hope for status quo or get downside. By and large they've gotten status quo, so in a way lucky. But it should have never come to it. His 2 wins didn't mean anything real in either year.

The $11M per year that they committed to him could have been used elsewhere, hopefully on flippable guys, most likely bullpen guys.

And, BTW, I always said Heyward was going to be massively overpaid and was roundly abused for that belief.
    You have to field a major league team and the Braves had virtually nobody to play RF. If you have a budget then spend it because you aren't going to bank that money and use it later. That much should be obvious.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-04-2017)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    The power struggle definitely isn’t over. JS has all his media guys like Shanks clamoring for Hart’s head. From what I gather, if JS wins Moore will
    replace Hart. If Hart wins, another young guy will come in and GM under Hart. Shanks says “if Hart makes the pick Doug Harris has a chance.”

Shanks also mentions Hart has McGuirks ear.
    Where is this JS vs Hart stuff coming from?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Predominantly Bowman and Shanks
    who are JS guys,particularly Shanks who’s virtually his guard dog. They are leading the parade of
    Hart needs to be held accountable and JS was uninvolved. If there wasn’t a schism I’d assume those guys would be protecting both.

Shanks is rapid fire tweeting about Hart being
    Terrible JS being squeaky clean.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomabrave For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-04-2017)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    who are JS guys,particularly Shanks who’s virtually his guard dog. They are leading the parade of
    Hart needs to be held accountable and JS was uninvolved. If there wasn’t a schism I’d assume those guys would be protecting both.
    Ah. The plot thickens.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-04-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    What you are referring to is people didn't believe that he would be able to get back to the level of offense he showed his rookie year. There is a difference in that and believing he would crash offensively and become one of the worst hitters in baseball. The concern was that he would stagnate as an offensive hitter and decline on defense as he got closer to 30. Prove me wrong if you don't think that's an accurate depiction of most of the conversation regarding Heyward around 2014-2015.
    There were plenty of people questioning Heyward's offensive prowess all along - just as many folks correctly questioned Francoeur's big breakout (and I'll be the first to admit I was excited enough to be one of those who was fooled).

Nitpick it all you want - there were almost as many posters screaming that extending Heyward - particularly to a bigger deal than Freeman got - was lunacy, and most felt Heyward was wrong (and selfish) for asking for more. As it turns out, they were right.
    Last edited by clvclv; 10-04-2017 at 10:26 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    That level is certainly deserving of a bigger contract than Freeman got, and arguably what Heyward ultimately got. The problem is, not only has Heyward not come close to replicating that season - Freeman barely has. At this point, anyone who argues Heyward's been much other than a "bust" is simply kinda nuts. Freddie might deserve that money, but Jason sure as *ell doesn't.
    Last edited by clvclv; 10-04-2017 at 10:38 PM.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,789 Posts
    The people who were against Heyward were against his offensive production from 2013 - 2015. Those people were and are still very wrong.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    There were plenty of people questioning Heyward's offensive prowess all along - just as many folks correctly questioned Francoeur's big breakout (and I'll be the first to admit I was excited enough to be one of those who was fooled).

Nitpick it all you want - there were almost as many posters screaming that extending Heyward - particularly to a bigger deal than Freeman got - was lunacy, and most felt Heyward was wrong (and selfish) for asking for more. As it turns out, they were right.
    Please show me plenty of people that questioned Heyward being able to sustain a high 700's OPS. Just because you say it doesn't make it so. I don't mean to start this argument here but I hate revisionist history.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,524 Posts

Shanks is rapid fire tweeting about Hart being
    Terrible JS being squeaky clean.
    They're both ****heads.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    The people who were against Heyward were against his offensive production from 2013 - 2015. Those people were and are still very wrong.
    Seriously?

Heyward posted a 114 OPS+ in the BEST of those seasons. Among the players who posted CAREER Adjusted OPS+ between his 109 and 114 those two years are...

Darren Daulton
    Aubrey Huff
    Matt Joyce
    Phil Nevin
    Dustin Pedroia
    Ryne Sandberg
    Robin Ventura
    Neil Walker (thus far)
    Dimitri Young
    Ben Zobrist
    Felipe Alou
    George Bell
    Milton Bradley
    Michael Brantley
    Russell Branyan
    Michael Cuddyer
    Brad Hawpe
    Von Hayes
    Corey Koskie
    Carlos Lee
    Brian McCann (thus far)
    Raul Mondesi

Pablo Sandoval (thus far)
    Nick Swisher
    Craig Biggio
    Jeromy Burnitz
    Ron Gant
    Corey Hart
    Glenallen Hill
    Javy Lopez
    Dave Magadan
    Tino Martinez
    Kendrys Morales
    Manny Mota
    Trot Nixon
    Seth Smith
    Brian Dozier (thus far)
    Jermaine Dye
    Nick Esasky
    Julio Franco

Todd Frazier (thus far)
    Andruw Jones
    Adam LaRoche
    Kevin Seitzer

Jay Bruce (thus far)
    Brett Butler
    Nick Markakis
    Kevin Millar

and so on. Exactly how much more defense would anyone without the first name Andruw have to play to deserve a $184 million contract?

What about Mark Trumbo? He's in the group at 108.
    Last edited by clvclv; 10-04-2017 at 11:11 PM.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Seriously?

Heyward posted a 114 OPS+ in the BEST of those seasons. Among the players who posted CAREER Adjusted OPS+ between his 109 and 114 those two years are...
    Heyward had a 117 OPS+ in 2015. Also ignored his 117 OPS+ in 2012.

And all of that ignores that OPS is a flawed stat compared to WOBA.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    You have to field a major league team and the Braves had virtually nobody to play RF. If you have a budget then spend it because you aren't going to bank that money and use it later. That much should be obvious.
    Sure spend it but on things that actually help the rebuild. Trotting Markakis out there did nothing for the rebuild because the day he signed he could only be traded for salary relief, if that.

I am not saying that he didn't provide on field play good enough for what he was paid. By and large he did.

I'm saying his value to the franchise was as an expensive place holder with no upside. The money could and should have been used on other players, players likely with more boom/bust potential because you are looking for upside during a known period of lost seasons.

People act like Markakis was some household name that casual fans would respond to. He's been in Atlanta for three years and most casual fans likely had never heard of him before he got here.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Conspiracies are more imteresting than real life.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-05-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

Too much bad guy/good guy stuff in all this for me.

Heyward isn't wrong or selfish imo for wanting to be paid what the market will pay him.

The braves are not ... whatever ... for deciding they weren't going to be that team.

there are not a lot of unambiguous successes for Atlanta lately but the heyward decision (and the fruits from it) is certainly one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    If Heywood wants every dime that's fine, then say that when asked. Don't say "I want to stay in Atlanta my whole career" when what you mean is "I hope Atlanta offers me the most money than everyone else". If he wanted to play for Atlanta he would be. He chose not to.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-05-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    If Heywood wants every dime that's fine, then say that when asked. Don't say "I want to stay in Atlanta my whole career" when what you mean is "I hope Atlanta offers me the most money than everyone else". If he wanted to play for Atlanta he would be. He chose not to.
    He probably did want to stay in Atlanta. moving sucks.

But it's worth 20 million.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,789 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Atlanta traded him

26. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Metaphysicist (10-05-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Hindsight on the Heyward contract is nonsense really. Anybody can be right in hindsight and nobody saw Heyward declining to this level on offense. It was always his defense that people thought would dramatically decline which gave them pause about a long contract. Anyone saying otherwise is lying. And to me, like always, it's about the process and not the results. Signing a 26 year old FA who is a stud defensively and a good hitter to a big contract isn't a bad process even if the results stink. Trading for a 31 year old OF who is among the worst defensively and average to above average offensively is not a good process. If the team makes good process decisions they will get back to winning even if some of them have bad results.
    this simply isn't true. i heavily questioned how his offense would hold up but didn't really buy into his defense going downhill (at least not anytime soon). i thought he had a lot of holes in his game and his power was dropping every year. did i think he'd be quite this bad? well, no. but i absolutely thought he wouldn't be worth the investment he would take, especially for our payroll limitations. it was a move for a team like the cubs to make, not the braves. the FO made the right decision at the time, and it's the right decision today.

i still love watching him play defense. but at the plate, he's a mess, and he showed signs of that frequently throughout.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-05-2017)