Page 99 of 109 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,980 of 2170

Thread: Megathread: Braves lose Maitan, Bae and 10+ plus International Sanctions.

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    That's actually wrong. I can't produce the source that says so but I saw somewhere that said the Braves will be eligible on May 1 to do so though.

But the bonus ban ensures that it doesn't really matter though.
    Got it. You're correct. There's only a 6-week window where these players can get additional money:

"As Ben Badler at Baseball America reports, players have six weeks from December 5th to January 15th to sign for an additional signing bonus. They can still sign after that but won’t be eligible for more money on top of whatever they got from the Braves. "

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneHill View Post
    Yes please. Please go down that path.

Burn this mother down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    I knew a guy named Dian had to be a trap.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-21-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    I knew a guy named Dian had to be a trap.
    the butterfly whose fluttering wings set off a hurricane
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Spring Training Invitee Chipper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    It's been a struggle the past few years remaining a fan. This seals the deal. I'm officially done being a baseball fan. MLB will not get another dime from me. If other teams were being punished too, I wouldn't have as upset about it, but everyone knows that everyone else does it and the Braves are the team to pay. Screw Manfred and screw baseball.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chipper For This Useful Post:

DaneHill (11-21-2017)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Even this FG article pisses me off:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-...and-its-harsh/

A quick mention at the end that every team does this kind of thing as if it’s an unimportant detail.

I liked the analogy someone else came up with about jay walkers. It’s like the cops going up to a group of 30 jay walkers, grabbing the one with spiked hair, and locking him up for life while the others walk away unpunished.
    I agree.

That said I thought we got off ok. We have a huge opportunity cost lost. Maitan and the catcher hurt. Third round bonus pool hurts. It hurts a lot.

But we cheated and we deserved it.

I think one of these guys will be a star. A couple will be valuable players.

We kept Pache , Waters, encarnacion etc. That was important to me.

Aa will have to be creative filling out low minors and or draft almost all high school kids.

I think we can overcome this.

Coppys Olivera trade and double down on kemp has to be close to as damaging as losing maitan

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Hart absolutely tried to use Coppy as a scapegoat. It backfired, and the end result was Blakely spilling all the beans and making the penalty 10x worse than it would have been.

But yeah, go ahead and keep with your storyline. Do you need the order of events laid out for you again?

Lol wut??

My God, you are impossible. They were forced when the news came out about the investigation. Coppy was banned for life by baseball. That isn't a scapegoat.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    So all the rumors about a divided FO are also untrue?

When the Braves decease their payroll in 2018 that isn’t a sign they missed revenue projections?

You need a blatant statement from someone to piece these things together?

Logic is hard for some people I suppose.
    Banned for life. But totally a scapegoat....

Give it up and admit up you were clearly wrong. He was fired, and rightfully so, because of this scandal.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I agree.

That said I thought we got off ok. We have a huge opportunity cost lost. Maitan and the catcher hurt. Third round bonus pool hurts. It hurts a lot.

But we cheated and we deserved it.

I think one of these guys will be a star. A couple will be valuable players.

We kept Pache , Waters, encarnacion etc. That was important to me.

Aa will have to be creative filling out low minors and or draft almost all high school kids.

I think we can overcome this.

Coppys Olivera trade and double down on kemp has to be close to as damaging as losing maitan
    My issue isn’t what the Braves deserved. An unbiased view probably agrees with the penalties for the most part.

My issue is MLB turning a blind eye amd allowing all other similar violations to go unpunished. It isn’t a secret this stuff goes on with other organizations, so where are the 2 month investigations into their actions?

The Braves have had their talent acquisition pipeline approximately cut in half for the better part of a decade for breaking rules almost every team breaks. The “they are the team who got caught” line of reasoning holds zero weight with me...it will be just as easy to catch several other teams.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-21-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Banned for life. But totally a scapegoat....

Give it up and admit up you were clearly wrong. He was fired, and rightfully so, because of this scandal.
    Lol arguing semantics.

It is a fact Coppy was sacrificed by Hart in an attempt to save himself. Call it whatever you want.

It’s clear there was factional infighting in the FO between the dorks and dinosaurs.

It’s clear Hart tried to save himself by firing Coppy and have him sign an NDA.

It’s clear Hart’s plan didn’t work and he was eventually fired.

It’s clear they missed revenue projections and payroll will decrease next year.

I don’t care what you want to call it.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-21-2017 at 07:45 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Anyone else read the statement released by the braves? Not a big fan of it

It's an embarrassment to the city and to the fans.

Really the more I think of this situation, the more pissed I get. They get a brand new stadium, opportunity to make hundreds of millions in revenue. And yet put out a bad product, cheat and lie. Yet they still expect us to cget me out as fans. Maybe that's why attendance always sucks. Locals just aren't buying their **** anymore.
    Get off my lawn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    My issue isn’t what the Braves deserved. An unbiased view probably agrees with the penalties for the most part.

My issue is MLB turning a blind eye amd allowing all other similar violations to go unpunished. It isn’t a secret this stuff goes on with other organizations, so where are the 2 month investigations into their actions?

The Braves have had their talent acquisition pipeline approximately cut in half for the better part of a decade for breaking rules almost every team breaks. The “they are the team who got caught” line of reasoning holds zero weight with me...it will be just as easy to catch several other teams.
    Yes. There was a high school party and all our friends were drinking. We were the ones that got the drinking ticket. Everyone was ****ing but we got herpes. That is true.

We still have a top 5, prob top 2, system with guys in each level. We still have two high picks next yr. we still have high end potential in Swanson and albies.

I really like aa

I still think we are better off than a lot of teams moving forward. I still think we can win and get to the playoffs during this penalty phase if we make smart decisions and guys like acuna, ff, gohara, albies live up to their 3 plus war talent

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Gonna have to be much smarter w/ service time now.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-21-2017), jpx7 (11-21-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Even this FG article pisses me off:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-...and-its-harsh/

A quick mention at the end that every team does this kind of thing as if it’s an unimportant detail.

I liked the analogy someone else came up with about jay walkers. It’s like the cops going up to a group of 30 jay walkers, grabbing the one with spiked hair, and locking him up for life while the others walk away unpunished.
    It's definitely a bitch that we're now just a cautionary tale, but I'm just going to cling to the report of Maitan not even looking like a prospect for my sanity.

No ill will wished toward the kid, though.

Lynchburg Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    penalties are equivalent to a $40M fine...has a sports team ever incurred anything like that
    1919 Whitesox. You’d think the Braves were also throwing games

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    The Braves can't until May 1 next year, and can't offer bonuses so that ensures that none of the prospects are going to be back in the system.
    Maybe we could put together a handshake agreement.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

Freshmaker (11-21-2017), Tapate50 (11-21-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    If we see the commissioner's office come down with similar penalties on a dozen clubs in the next year, I might begin to agree with you. But I seriously doubt any team will see sanctions close to this heavy in the next half century.
    You don't think that will have anything to do with the fact that today sends the message to every team in baseball that "enough is enough" and they're not going to put up with this *hit anymore?

Every member of upper management has been sending e-mails and scheduling emergency meetings for several hours to make their people understand they better follow the rules from this day forward - no matter how they've done business or what they've gotten away with in the past - or they won't have to wait on the Commissioner's Office to start investigating them.

Again, it really sucks that it was us caught up in this, but the message sent today is "quit cheating or lose your career" - that's going to be a pretty strong deterrent regardless of whether you're in San Diego or New York.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Here's the thing. Everybody does it. But the Braves are the only ones to alienate their own employees to where this gets blown open. You have to be a special kind of stupid to not realize this **** would come back on them.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Garmel (11-21-2017), jpx7 (11-21-2017)

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Im a Braves fan for over 30 years and this IMO is truly the darkest day in the history of the team. This entire mess is an embarrassment. Losing players hurts but the betrayal, lies and con job that has been played on us fans hurts even more. I'm glad Coppy got a life time ban he deserves it. His lack of integrity is disturbing. I hope the Braves deal harshly with anyone else that was just involved in this.

I'm glad this is over now and now AA can start rebuilding this ship. At least he still has plenty to chips in the minors to play with but his margin for error is razor thin now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Seems like there's extra venom in this penalty. I wonder if this is all on Coppy or did MLB reveal they had also grown sick and tired of JS's self-congratulatory spiel about "the Braves way".
    Last edited by Runnin; 11-21-2017 at 09:14 PM.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-21-2017), jpx7 (11-21-2017), The Chosen One (11-21-2017)