Page 102 of 109 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 2170

Thread: Megathread: Braves lose Maitan, Bae and 10+ plus International Sanctions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    My interpretation is that this will hurt us mostly in the 2020s. It's going to be even more important for our international scouts to find diamond in the rough that they've produced in the past. We can still sign guys for 300k in 2018. It's the 2019 class where we'll basically sign zero impact prospects. I'm interested to see what happens in 2020. I know we will have half of our normal international money, but I wonder if that class might make sense to go crazy and blow through our budget.

Either way, there's going to be a significant loss of talent from this. I wonder if AA can come up with creative trades to bring in talent. I'm not sure we can survive leaning exclusively on the draft for talent acquisition.
    We are pretty much dead in the IFA market til 2021. Write that **** off.
    Ivermectin Man

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    We are pretty much dead in the IFA market til 2021. Write that **** off.
    Yup. Which means something like 6 years of almost total loss. It is the death penalty. Even if you don't churn out stars, those guys fill out the lower and upper minors. Braves are going to have to sign some bums to fill out the minors.

How has John Schuerholz not been implicated and fired yet? This case truly does go all the way to the top, and the Johns attempt to cover things up are what ultimately lead us to the death penalty. Hopefully liberty guts our team and sells the Braves. I can deal with 10 years of futility if it means a future of competent ownership.

The "Braves Way" is dead, Schuerholz is a fraud. Time to start a new and different dynasty.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    One thing I'll credit Coppy for is creative deals such as using extra payroll to get Touki. I sincerely hope we use every last dime of money we're not spending in the international market to try to create opportunities like that.
    Yeah, take on some bad contracts for acceptable prospects.

Instead of trading prospects for bad contracts which Coppy also did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Liberty is a faceless entity.

If you had done this to Jerry Jones or Arthur Blank, he'd have been embarrassed and livid.

Fines, expulsion from MLB, loss of signing ability etc... that is punishment for the brass (the ones responsible).

But the loss of the players that get paid twice is punishment for the fans.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I'm guessing that Anthropoulos will be trying to make deals for competitive balance picks as well.
    Matt Adams to a team like the Rays or Rockies for a competitive balance pick seems like a smart move.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I’ll be pulling hard for Braulio Vazquez, Jean Carlos Encarnacion, and Jefrey Ramos to salvage the 2016 class. We may have gotten lucky with these guys and that could make the sting hurt a little less.

I think long term Severino and Yefri will be the ones we missed out on. I question Maitan and Abrahan long term. If you have conditioning problems as a teenager that usually does not get better with age.

We suddenly look very weak at middle infield throughout the minors. Vazquez and Cruz profile more at 2B with Cruz maybe even CF and no viable SS prospects. We better hope Albies and Swanson are here for the next 4 years while we restock. I expect AA to focus on upgrading that area.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    It’s so extreme. Taking Maitan is basically taking a #1 pick and millions. Bundled or not...take him away and we sign the other guys with no problems. Maitan with all the other restrictions is plenty brutal. Taking ALL those players with the other restrictions keeps a team like the Braves from being competitive. Think if we were just coming out of this penalty...we wouldn’t have Acuna, Oz, Camargo.

Now that I’ve had time to think about this....I’m even more unhappy. Unless MLB brings down the hammer on other teams also...this is completely unfair.
    The Braves would still have Maitan and his entire class if Coppy and friends hadn't unnecessarily thrown a million dollars at Toscano money laundering to sign one or two more prospects the singing season before. So dumb.

In retrospect all of this stuff seems like it should have been more obvious than it was. I guess it was pretty obvious to the rest of MLB and that's how they got caught. Seems like it was pretty brazen.

It would have been pretty apparent to the rest of baseball that Toscano wasn't a million dollar prospect. Strange you didn't hear that at the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    We suddenly look very weak at middle infield throughout the minors.
    Yeah. We don't have a shortstop of the future in the system. Bae had the potential to be that player.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Liberty is a faceless entity.

If you had done this to Jerry Jones or Arthur Blank, he'd have been embarrassed and livid.

Fines, expulsion from MLB, loss of signing ability etc... that is punishment for the brass (the ones responsible).

But the loss of the players that get paid twice is punishment for the fans.
    Liberty appears to be livid at the Braves management that actually cheated and allowed for the cheating to occur.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Liberty appears to be livid at the Braves management that actually cheated and allowed for the cheating to occur.
    Last I checked McGuirk and Schuerholz still have jobs.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    The Braves would still have Maitan and his entire class if Coppy and friends hadn't unnecessarily thrown a million dollars at Toscano money laundering to sign one or two more prospects the singing season before. So dumb.

In retrospect all of this stuff seems like it should have been more obvious than it was. I guess it was pretty obvious to the rest of MLB and that's how they got caught. Seems like it was pretty brazen.

It would have been pretty apparent to the rest of baseball that Toscano wasn't a million dollar prospect. Strange you didn't hear that at the time.
    I think where he went wrong (outside of acting like a tool) is trading Toscano and his "dirty contract" to the Dodgers in the Bud Norris trade. I don't know how much if any that had to do with him getting caught, but that was dumb. It's like selling stolen goods.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    I think Liberty is livid that we wasted a ton of money with nothing to show for it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Yeah. We don't have a shortstop of the future in the system. Bae had the potential to be that player.

Problematic. The Braves have also tended to draw heavily from Latin America in the middle infield so that is even more of a problem.

They have major league coverage for awhile under control, theoretically, but they probably have to start drafting heavily there pretty soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I think Liberty is livid that we wasted a ton of money with nothing to show for it.
    And that we lose a ton of future value when we were supposed to be competitive again in the new expensive ballpark.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    Last I checked McGuirk and Schuerholz still have jobs.

We will see. I don't think JS is particularly relevant figure in this mess, but I would guess the spring training complex is his last hurrah regardless.

I would be surprised if McGuirk was still with the Braves in October.

Still Playing the Waiting Game DaneHill's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    267 Posts
    I don't feel sorry for Liberty. They haven't given two ****s about paying attention to the Braves, other than what the stock price looks like. Maybe if they had paid some attention, they would have realized the problems that were going on with the people they put in charge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    This for me is the ultimate culmination of numbness for me. The Braves Brass (not talking Liberty, talking McGuirk and JS) have shown a distance from the fanbase. Frank Wren was brought in to change the BRaves to a bit more of a contemporary system. There were bumps in the road that's for sure. Wren chased some good folks away but also attracted some good folks. But he was ultimately fired due to alleged in fighting with Schuerholz and ultimately trying to fire Fredi which is something every single Braves fan wanted. If what Jeff Wren said was true, and the front office wanted to retool after 2012. Then things are very different than the official record and coudl have been different.

I have largely been numb to the Braves stupidity as of late. I don't tend to get mad, or excited, because ultimately I know we're working our way towards becoming a joke franchise, it's not what I ever would have expected to happen again. But it is happening and it could be happening fast. Especially as the rest of baseball outgrows us. I can't imagine us ever competing for the east over a long term again if the Marlins get competent.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts

Sure. They took Liberty's money, likely lied about what they were doing with it. At the end of the day did more damage than they might have done simply lighting it on fire.

It will be interesting to see if any criminal investigation is opened.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    We will see. I don't think JS is particularly relevant figure in this mess, but I would guess the spring training complex is his last hurrah regardless.

I would be surprised if McGuirk was still with the Braves in October.
    But that's a whole year. This was a colossal ****up. This is millions of millions of los dollars. Both in real money but even more importantly in future value. If anyone we lose becomes an All-Star or god forbid an MVP, we are talking possibly over a hundred million in lost revenue and player value. How the guys at the very top aren't held accountable is insane to me. I'm not saying outright ban them from the organization because that's tactless, but maybe they become lifetime advisors or some **** like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    If its any consolation none of the guys from the 2016 signing class had the kind of age 17 season that Albies, Acuna and even Pache did. We lose a significant amount of depth in the lower minors. And of course not being great at 17 doesn't mean you won't be a much better prospect at 20 or 21. But it is something to keep in mind. I wouldn't be surprised if Bae turns out to be the biggest loss from the group we lost yesterday.
    I'm still trying to understand the exact circumstances for how we lost Bae and how it tied into all of this.