Page 69 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 2170

Thread: Megathread: Braves lose Maitan, Bae and 10+ plus International Sanctions.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I'm sure. Hart btw has gone out of his way on at least one occasion to say how much he still cares about Coppy and "his family." That can be interpreted in various ways.
    Yeah.

Did he use his Corleone voice?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Funny thing - none of this makes any difference at this point. Hart's been "exonerated" as far as MLB is concerned. Like him or the regime that's in place, it is what it is. Get over it and move on. The Braves are trying to distance themselves from Coppy just like Trump is trying to distance himself from Manafort today.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Most incompetent and dysfunctional FO in the league.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Most incompetent and dysfunctional FO in the league.
    Barves Way!

Pozzies will continue to pimp how great they are though.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Barves Way!

I just don't know who to pimp though.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,286 Posts
    Barves Way!

This thread is 69 pages of everyone claiming they are incompetent.

If you don't believe me, You can run a post crawler to compile all of the posts and then use a natural language processor to do a sentiment analysis to give you a shiny little number for validation.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

Hawk (10-31-2017), Tapate50 (10-31-2017), The Chosen One (11-01-2017)

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    I mean, it’s pretty obvious they are incompetent since they’re almost all about to be fired while also being under investigation

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    All this is just fart gas at this point.

Where the rubber will meet the room is when Coppy goes to court....or, he doesn't.

If he was the "lone gunman" plus a henchman or two, and everyone is comfortable with that, then Coppy will get his day in court and no one will care and he will be a very sad little nerdy puppy who never works in baseball again.

If he drops the lawsuit in favor of a settlement, then he likely has the goods on Hart and JS, at least enough to make things unpleasant, and he never works in baseball again but at least gets enough cash out of the deal not to worry too much about it.

Either way, Coppy is done in baseball. If he gets his cash others knew. If he gets nothing others still probably knew but he can't prove it.
    The lawsuit (I hadn’t heard there was one but the hypothetical lawsuit) is going to settle regardless of what happened.

That’s how lawsuits work 95% of the time and Coppy’s hands are not clean.

It’s just a squabble over how much money he exits with. That ain’t going to trial.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,286 Posts
    Everyday the situation becomes more and more embarrassing. Now it's emerging that Blakeley rescinded his resignation, but the team won't send him his paycheck. I would think if the team could fire him for cause then they could terminate his contract and avoid the whole sideshow.

Braves way indeed.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-01-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Everyday the situation becomes more and more embarrassing. Now it's emerging that Blakeley rescinded his resignation, but the team won't send him his paycheck. I would think if the team could fire him for cause then they could terminate his contract and avoid the whole sideshow.

Braves way indeed.
    During this whole thing, every time I read something new on it I tend to hear circus music playing in the background.

I do the same when I see us chucking it all over the field committing errors.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    The most pathetic aspect of this fiasco is that the Braves immediately fired Coppy the moment the investigation began. Other organizations rallied around their FO guys when they were nailed for rules violations. The fact Hart wasn't also immediately fired is a joke. It was obvious from Day 1 that Hart was either complicit or incompetent, both being grounds for termination.

Hart and JS were so eager to reinstate stone aged thinking they jumped at the chance to get rid of the resident nerd. Expecting the Braves to now fill the FO with anything other than fellow cave wall artists is foolish. There is little chance Hart/JS will add modern baseball thinkers to the FO after taking this opportunity to purge the organization of all non-jocks.

The only chance the Braves have of modernizing the FO is if Liberty Media ultimately realizes just how dumb the current dinosaur regime is and cleans house. Considering they probably view the Braves as some sort of real estate venture, I don't see that happening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    The most pathetic aspect of this fiasco is that the Braves immediately fired Coppy the moment the investigation began. Other organizations rallied around their FO guys when they were nailed for rules violations. The fact Hart wasn't also immediately fired is a joke. It was obvious from Day 1 that Hart was either complicit or incompetent, both being grounds for termination.

Hart and JS were so eager to reinstate stone aged thinking they jumped at the chance to get rid of the resident nerd. Expecting the Braves to now fill the FO with anything other than fellow cave wall artists is foolish. There is little chance Hart/JS will add modern baseball thinkers to the FO after taking this opportunity to purge the organization of all non-jocks.

The only chance the Braves have of modernizing the FO is if Liberty Media ultimately realizes just how dumb the current dinosaur regime is and cleans house. Considering they probably view the Braves as some sort of real estate venture, I don't see that happening.
    You seem to be assuming that the Braves fired Coppy simply because of the investigation. You discount the possibility (probability) that Coppy told them exactly what was going on and that they canned him for it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    You seem to be assuming that the Braves fired Coppy simply because of the investigation. You discount the possibility (probability) that Coppy told them exactly what was going on and that they canned him for it.
    Then why did no other FOs fire execs for breaking rules?

The obvious scenario is the old school dinosaurs in the Braves FO (including guys like Glavine) were fed up with Coppy running around like a brainiac know-it-all that never played the game. When word of this scandal broke, Hart seized the opportunity to send him packing immediately.

Folks are acting like it's common for GMs to get fired over rules violations like this. It isn't. The Red Sox didn't fire anyone when they broke international signing rules. The Padres didn't fire anyone when Preller got busted for sending bad medical info. The Cards didn't fire the GM when they broke federal laws hacking into the Astros databases.

The only team that fired a GM for rules infractions is the Braves. It is not normal, and he wasn't fired for breaking rules...which is why he is now suing the Braves.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-01-2017 at 06:10 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-01-2017)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Bowman answered someone's question on twitter on October 28 saying he wouldn't be surprised if we lost Maitan.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Well...we could know tomorrow. Maybe Monday at the latest?

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Well...we could know tomorrow. Maybe Monday at the latest?
    Likely after the victory parade.

If they really want to "F" the Braves they will drag it out for a couple more months while other teams build for 2018.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    It’s really bad business all the way around to drag it out.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    If they steal Marian I’m going to be furious. It’s like when we lost Tom Seaver on a technicality. I hope we’ve told Manfred that if he hits us too hard we’ll never give him our support and will make trouble if given the opportunity.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Well free agency starts in less than 12 hours, hope the Braves secretly have the FO mapped out, know their penalties, and we just aren’t privy to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coredor View Post
    If they steal Marian I’m going to be furious. It’s like when we lost Tom Seaver on a technicality. I hope we’ve told Manfred that if he hits us too hard we’ll never give him our support and will make trouble if given the opportunity.
    I'll be especially furious if we lose Maitan because of the same little jockeying and rule bending that every team does in the international market. If that happens you'll know we're being punished to be made an example of. And I'm with you, if MLB tries to hit us too hard I hope the Braves make life a nightmare for Manfred.

Where we should really be at risk of losing players is where we were bundling. The whole bonus pool system is designed to keep teams like the Dodgers and Yankees from just buying all the young talent. Bundling circumvents that whole system. If we did that, then we should lose out on players we signed that way. If we didn't bundle we'd have never been able to sign them due to our bonus limitations.

Maitan is different. Maitan is the reason we had to bundle players the next year. With him not being a part of any bundle, making him a free agent would just be MLB trying to hurt the Braves. It's a punishment unrelated to what is likely the worst crime.