Page 33 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Thread: Megathread: Braves lose Maitan, Bae and 10+ plus International Sanctions.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    The moves you're referencing aren't really scout vs. stat moves. They were moves motivated by business considerations. Swanson was needed for marketing. The Kemp trade was made so we could get away from Olivera. Markakis was signed because we knew we'd be bad but still wanted to put a team out there that wouldn't be so bad as to completely alienate fans.

The problem isn't stat vs scout. It's business vs baseball.
    Umm, when Kemp was acquired everyone with any analytical knowledge knew he was toast. The reasoning behind acquiring him was literally "our scouts think he has something left". Many on these boards agreed.

Markakis was signed as a way to appease the analytical illiterate faction of the fan base and the FO. It worked perfectly.

Swanson was promoted because the dinosaurs literally had no idea how much surplus value it would cost the organization. It was a spur of the moment idea by Hart with zero thought put into it.

Again, the lack of seeing what is really going on here is comical.

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    I think that the "Coppy was a super-jerk and thinks he's superior " stuff is overblown. Every GM thinks they're better than everyone else, or they wouldn't take a job that involves trying to trick people into giving you what you need for your team at the best cost like a used car salesman. They're probably all jerks, more or less, with Coppy and Wren obviously being more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I don't necessarily disagree with this take, but I do think it's worth exploring the whole line about JS and Hart being "semi-retired," etc.

The bit about Hart having to be talked into the job smacks a bit of Julius Caesar refusing the crown.

If these guys so desperately want to retire and play golf full-time, they should do that. Why haven't they? They've achieved the pinnacle of success in their field and it's quite understandable if they don't walk away from it lightly. If they don't want to go, fine, but perpetuating this idea that they want to retire but for some reason have not? It doesn't really pass the smell test for me.
    That was my analogy on day one.

I think Hart is a snake that JS carried through the door.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    The Braves continue to replace the Arizona D'Backs as the joke of MLB. The good old boys club marches on... BTW, my choice for manager that fit us best took Colorado to the playoffs this year. I have no doubt he wasn't hired because he isn't considered "old school" enough by the good old boys club. Until this changes the Braves are cursed despite their talent, same as Arizona was before they got back on track.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I just read Bill Shank's article and my goodness... That was bad.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    I hope that a recording of JC's 'draft room meltdown' manages to leak someway, somehow.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I hope that a recording of JC's 'draft room meltdown' manages to leak someway, somehow.
    If only.

There'd be a lot of swears because he's a NY guy, but it would be kinda pathetic and hilarious because he has a weenie voice.

Like David Mamet but directed by the Coen Brothers.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    531 Posts
    Found on Talking Chop:

"I’ve heard from a few folks close to the team that Coppy had been in a verbal almost physical fight with Tom Glavine recently over his decision to fire the scouts, only to replace them with sabermetrics folks. There is a strong ’you’ve never worn a jock’ contingent that surrounds braves country and they believe that there is no room for advanced analytics in the game. This backlash comes from a) Coppy and team’s dirtiness b) Coppy’s decision to fire certain people. Net, Net, its a mess. The way that this gets cleaned up: get rid of ‘braves way’. Either Liberty Media sells or they fire John Schurholtz." - Herschelpony

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Well. Then.
    Forever Fredi

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    When I mean holier than thou attitude, I'm not just meaning current general managers. It starts with a certain guy that has the initials....JS.

All they care about is celebrating the old and trying desperately to replicate it. Schuerholz is not gone as he is desperate to see the Braves win again JUST by the "old school The Braves Way" before he slips off into the sunset.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I swear if I hear the words "Braves Way" once more, in any context, I'm gonna have an aneurysm.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

Managuarantano's Volunteers (10-03-2017), Tapate50 (10-05-2017), The Chosen One (10-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    Found on Talking Chop:

"I’ve heard from a few folks close to the team that Coppy had been in a verbal almost physical fight with Tom Glavine recently over his decision to fire the scouts, only to replace them with sabermetrics folks. There is a strong ’you’ve never worn a jock’ contingent that surrounds braves country and they believe that there is no room for advanced analytics in the game. This backlash comes from a) Coppy and team’s dirtiness b) Coppy’s decision to fire certain people. Net, Net, its a mess. The way that this gets cleaned up: get rid of ‘braves way’. Either Liberty Media sells or they fire John Schurholtz." - Herschelpony
    Someone must have forgotten to tell Glavine that his title is just that; a title.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-04-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I swear if I hear the words "Braves Way" once more, in any context, I'm gonna have an aneurysm.
    gold standard franchise

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    JS doesn't have an ego...hes got a tumor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    Did you know that the street that Sun Trust Park is built on is simply titled, 'Braves Way'? Did you know that, BeanieAntics?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-04-2017), Tapate50 (10-05-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    I just read Bill Shank's article and my goodness... That was bad.
    he's a first class sycophant.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Someone must have forgotten to tell Glavine that his title is just that; a title.
    Hard to speak against Glavine. He delivered our only World Series ring.

But at the same time the old guard needs to realize we are a mid market payroll team. We need to be efficient and take all routes with scouting and saber combined to have a chance.
    Forever Fredi

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

buck75 (10-03-2017), Garmel (10-03-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Found on Talking Chop:

Who is Herschelpony? A writer? A poster on their web boards?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Found on Talking Chop:

This doesn't surprise me one bit if true. It's the same attitude the broadcast team has.

This anti-intellectual streak runs strong throughout the entire organization. It's the only explanation for most of the moves that have been made.

Coppy was fired because the dinosaurs didn't like having dorks in charge. The Braves will be the worst run franchise in the game starting this offseason.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 10-03-2017 at 07:30 PM.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Did you know that the street that Sun Trust Park is built on is simply titled, 'Braves Way'? Did you know that, BeanieAntics?
    Hey this is Beanie's roommate. He is on his way to the hospital now. Nice going jerk.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (10-05-2017)