Page 101 of 109 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 2170

Thread: Megathread: Braves lose Maitan, Bae and 10+ plus International Sanctions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    510 Posts
    In hindsight, I think it's obvious that Coppy's biggest mistake was not betting on the opponent whenever Colon was pitching.

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,774 Posts
    I’m not usually a fan of Jeff Schultz, but I agree completely with him in this column. A slightly interesting note he makes in regards to how Liberty is feeling about this.

http://www.myajc.com/blog/jeff-schul...XEpQVfmtHZVJI/
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-22-2017), DaneHill (11-22-2017)

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    total garbage punishment when MLB says they noticed most teams were doing this when they started really looking into this
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    510 Posts
    I think the Braves can survive this too, as in they won't be contracted or fold. Maybe relocated.

I don't think they'll make an unexpanded playoffs before Freeman retires. Hopefully with another team as it's unfair to permanently saddle him with loser ownership/management.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    510 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    This should have next to no effect on the performance of the team for the next four or five years at a minimum.
    Yes, the horrid management and coaching will take care of that part just fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I think this will make us signing free agents become more pressing then trading for pieces. We won’t have as much ammo as we did to offer up.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hudson2 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-22-2017), BedellBrave (11-22-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    I think this will make us signing free agents become more pressing then trading for pieces. We won’t have as much ammo as we did to offer up.
    Aside from losing Maitan, I think we will be fine. BUT, this is the killer. We had so many extra pieces to add into deals. Definitely sucks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Aside from losing Maitan, I think we will be fine. BUT, this is the killer. We had so many extra pieces to add into deals. Definitely sucks.
    Problem is that it's a few high ceiling guys. It's very possible that Maitan busts while Severino/Guitierrez become all star players it's just so many potential pieces lost.

This hurts...it hurts a lot. I don't want to see JS mug anymore in the telecast booth. He should be fired as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Problem is that it's a few high ceiling guys. It's very possible that Maitan busts while Severino/Guitierrez become all star players it's just so many potential pieces lost.

This hurts...it hurts a lot. I don't want to see JS mug anymore in the telecast booth. He should be fired as well.
    I take solace in the fact that we are pretty much starting fresh with a still-loaded system and decent-to-relevant talent on the field. Just sucks how we got here.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    So to sum it up...all the other teams that cheated got away with it...except us. They released all of our signings which most big market teams will swoop up. So, the Yankees, Sox, and Dodgers just got stronger. You think they would have done this to one of the teams I just mentioned?? Not a chance...not a friggin chance.

The thing the blows my mind...we could have just went over the cap and not signed anyone this year (which were all $300k guys anyway), and been fine. 80% of the guys we lost today...we could have just given them whatever and been fine. No...we had to double down.

Maybe we should just blow it up and start over. Say “Ok MLB...if you are to do this to us for the next three years then we’ll just tank and have the #1 pick EVERY year”. Oh, and you can just suck on your revenue sharing you would have gotten from us. Trade FF, Ender, Julio, Nick, Folty...anyone over 25. We aren’t going to win as is now anyway...this will cripple our depth.

I’m so mad. What was loosing the third rounder about?? Wasn’t this all International crap??
    I'm guessing that relates to the rumors surrounding Drew Waters' signing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    One thing I'll credit Coppy for is creative deals such as using extra payroll to get Touki. I sincerely hope we use every last dime of money we're not spending in the international market to try to create opportunities like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I'm guessing that relates to the rumors surrounding Drew Waters' signing.
    That's what I read. Another example of how this was Manfred pitching a fit. Someone makes a stupid joke about buying Waters a car, everyone involved admitted it was a joke, but it was enough so Manfred could use it as an excuse to hit us again.

Manfred is a petulant child in a position that gives him enormous power. That's a bad combo.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    I’m not usually a fan of Jeff Schultz, but I agree completely with him in this column. A slightly interesting note he makes in regards to how Liberty is feeling about this.

http://www.myajc.com/blog/jeff-schul...XEpQVfmtHZVJI/
    Great column. I wonder if Coppolella suffers from some form of mental illness (and I don't say that in a disparaging way).

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    I was gonna ask if there was any way the Braves could appeal but based on their statement looks like they’re gonna just rollover.

I hope all the pitching we’ve been stockpiling allows us to get some bats.
    Forever Fredi

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    One thing I'll credit Coppy for is creative deals such as using extra payroll to get Touki. I sincerely hope we use every last dime of money we're not spending in the international market to try to create opportunities like that.
    I'm guessing that Anthropoulos will be trying to make deals for competitive balance picks as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    If its any consolation none of the guys from the 2016 signing class had the kind of age 17 season that Albies, Acuna and even Pache did. We lose a significant amount of depth in the lower minors. And of course not being great at 17 doesn't mean you won't be a much better prospect at 20 or 21. But it is something to keep in mind. I wouldn't be surprised if Bae turns out to be the biggest loss from the group we lost yesterday.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 11-22-2017 at 08:08 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

19. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

NYCBrave (11-22-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    It’s so extreme. Taking Maitan is basically taking a #1 pick and millions. Bundled or not...take him away and we sign the other guys with no problems. Maitan with all the other restrictions is plenty brutal. Taking ALL those players with the other restrictions keeps a team like the Braves from being competitive. Think if we were just coming out of this penalty...we wouldn’t have Acuna, Oz, Camargo.

Now that I’ve had time to think about this....I’m even more unhappy. Unless MLB brings down the hammer on other teams also...this is completely unfair.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    My interpretation is that this will hurt us mostly in the 2020s. It's going to be even more important for our international scouts to find diamond in the rough that they've produced in the past. We can still sign guys for 300k in 2018. It's the 2019 class where we'll basically sign zero impact prospects. I'm interested to see what happens in 2020. I know we will have half of our normal international money, but I wonder if that class might make sense to go crazy and blow through our budget.

Either way, there's going to be a significant loss of talent from this. I wonder if AA can come up with creative trades to bring in talent. I'm not sure we can survive leaning exclusively on the draft for talent acquisition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    It’s so extreme. Taking Maitan is basically taking a #1 pick and millions. Bundled or not...take him away and we sign the other guys with no problems. Maitan with all the other restrictions is plenty brutal. Taking ALL those players with the other restrictions keeps a team like the Braves from being competitive. Think if we were just coming out of this penalty...we wouldn’t have Acuna, Oz, Camargo.

Now that I’ve had time to think about this....I’m even more unhappy. Unless MLB brings down the hammer on other teams also...this is completely unfair.
    The problem had nothing to do with how much we signed Maitan for. It had to do with us going through the slot limit the previous year and using the subterfuge of paying Toscano less than we claimed to make it seem as if that didn't happen. The invalidation of the class 2016 contracts (over 300K) reflects the fact we went over the limit in 2015.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    For real. Or apply that money to the big league payroll and make the big league club competitive. Either way, we need to be finding creative ways to replace the talent we just lost.