Thread: RIP Tom Petty

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts

RIP Tom Petty

Saw him about half a dozen times live back in the late-1970s/early-1980s. Always put on a great show. Here's my fave from his oeuvre.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Runnin (10-03-2017), The Chosen One (10-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Is he officially dead yet? Last I saw he was in critical condition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Just saw it confirmed. Damn. Way too soon. He still had plenty of music left to write.

One of my all-time favorites. He was never among the true elite as far as songwriters and rock stars go, but he never failed to produce a quality ear worm. And he put on a hell of a live show.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    Just saw it confirmed. Damn. Way too soon. He still had plenty of music left to write.

One of my all-time favorites. He was never among the true elite as far as songwriters and rock stars go, but he never failed to produce a quality ear worm. And he put on a hell of a live show.
    Same here. There's always been a lot of apples-and-oranges comparisons between him and the other artists of his day. He was just a straight-ahead rock-and-roller who wrote solid songs that bridged the AM/FM divide that still existed when he hit the scene. He wasn't a social commentator who wrote lofty anthems and I think his reputation among some (and it's not a whole lot of folks) suffered because of that. Along with the Heartbreakers (especially Campbell and Tench), he created a hook factory that kept on a-going.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-03-2017)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Same here. There's always been a lot of apples-and-oranges comparisons between him and the other artists of his day. He was just a straight-ahead rock-and-roller who wrote solid songs that bridged the AM/FM divide that still existed when he hit the scene. He wasn't a social commentator who wrote lofty anthems and I think his reputation among some (and it's not a whole lot of folks) suffered because of that. Along with the Heartbreakers (especially Campbell and Tench), he created a hook factory that kept on a-going.
    Saw him in 2006 at Bonnaroo, with The Heartbreakers, but I admit to paying more attention to the psychedelics I was taking than the show itself—both because of the time of my life, and the fact that I'm one of those "not a whole lot of folks" who's unfairly discounted his work on account of his not being Bob Dylan or Neil Young. I took a look last night at his number of hits and was shocked how high they stacked.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    All pop but I always liked this tune and just found out it was written by Tom Petty.

"This doesn't have to be the big get even."

FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Last Dance with Mary Jane will always stand the test of time. One of my top 5 or 10 favorite songs of all time.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    My personal favorite